“Wonderful Location”

L'Horizon Beach Hotel & Spa
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in St Brelade
Reviewed 25 July 2013

It's a beautiful site but I would say its over priced. I made some comments on their own feedback form following our stay and I have to say that the remarks were followed up and indeed they checked out some of the points we made regarding on overcrowded unsuitable room. My main grief was we had paid for a junior suite which was not big it has a separate "sitting area" but the rooms and the storage space are small. The balcony fits two chairs as long as you don't want to move or stretch out so we ended up using our second balcony which was outside the sitting area and in effect we had a balcony each. Strangely that wasn't what we had in mind!! The food is good. The service is intermittent and I agree that breakfast staff could be more cheerful but then when they have been up until late the night before maybe that's the reason why! Personally I was disappointed that such a high standard hotel does a buffet breakfast to the degree that the poached eggs are not done to order.
Overall a good hotel but be careful what you pay

Room Tip: Would definitely not recommend a junior suite
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AlisonJ225
MartinKelly, General Manager at L'Horizon Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2013

Hi

I regret that you feel slightly deflated after your stay, that really isn’t our intention, I know that you spoke with Peter our deputy manager and discussed some of the points that you raised.

I know that we aren’t inexpensive, but we do try and set our prices in comparison with our competitors and location on the beach.

I am sorry that you felt some of the team weren’t cheerful, yes, they do work very hard as people do in hospitality but they mostly receive very positive comments from our guests, I apologise if this wasn’t the case on this occasion, unfortunately this wasn’t mentioned when you were speaking to Peter, please feel free to contact me if you can help us further regarding this.

We do have various room types in the hotel and lots of different rates for those rooms, I am sure that we could find something to impress you.

I have noted your points on breakfast, I think that we have allowed our chefs to get a little ahead of themselves with cooking off poached eggs in advance, I have discussed this point with our chef and we shall be cooking all the poached eggs to order.

Thank you for your finishing line of “a good hotel” we hope we have the opportunity to impress you a little more next time.

Reviewed 21 July 2013

We have stayed at this hotel several times this year and have, each time, found it to be comfortable, very well managed and operated.
Neil on reservations is extremely efficient and flexible to differing requirement, the bedrooms are comfortable and spacious and the breakfast buffet and service are excellent.
Peter the Deputy Manager seems to always be around, supervising all areas, yet remains friendly and welcoming.
Alina is always very busy (and working extremely hard) but always has time for a cheery "hello" whatever she is doing.
Collette on the piano in the evening provides a lovely atmosphere for pre dinner drinks or bar/lounge food.
We will certainly recommend and invite friends to this hotel.

Room Tip: Sea view if you don't mind paying a little extra but the other rooms are perfectly comfortable t...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for the review.

It is great to read that you have already had the opportunity to stay a number of times this year.

Also thank you for mentioning the team, Neil, who is normally hidden away in reservations but manages to perform miracles with room allocations. Peter has had two mentions in two reviews now, I will have to check if anyone is related to him. Alina, as you have said works amazingly hard on the very warm Terrace and she is always happy to see everyone. Collette is a as much part of L’Horizon as the view. We always make sure that everyone knows they have been mentioned and they regularly check Tripadvisor.

We couldn’t agree more about the sea views, there is nothing like waking up to that splendid view.

Thank you again, and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 17 July 2013

A Hotel that has a 5 star factor for its position and the staff efficiency particularly Declan in the Bar with all of his Irish charm that made the evenings fly by, the girls and chefs on the terrace that provided us with "proper" cream tea's and "Pimms" in the afternoons and Peter the deputy manager was there when we needed some support due to travel delays.

Will we go back.... you bet we will.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Mike,

Thank you for the review.

It is very nice of you to elevate us to a five star hotel as we are a four star, but thank you for the sentiment.

Thank you too for mentioning the team members, Declan, Peter and the Terrace team, Declan has proven to be very popular with our guests.

I am pleased you enjoyed the Afternoon Tea, we do believe that it is the quality of the cakes and pastries rather than any gimmicks, and you can’t go wrong with a decent Pimms.

I hope that you got home safely and we look forward to welcoming you back to L’Horizon soon.

Reviewed 16 July 2013

I go to the L'horizon from time to time for afternoon tea either on the terrace or in the lounge with friends, and when there's a local deal on we love to stay here. It's always so peaceful and the afternoon tea is just amazing! I can't reccomend the place highly enough. The staff are always so helpful and efficient. Whenever I have friends and family come to stay on the island The L'horizon is always the place I suggest they go stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Lucy

Thank you for the review on Tripadvisor.

We appreciate the kind words and recommendations, and for sending your friends and family to stay with us. I am pleased that you enjoy the afternoon tea, we are changing it slightly and will be making almost all of it at the hotel, we hope that will make it an even more memorable experience.

Thank you again and we hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 16 July 2013

Lovely hotel, nice clean rooms. The hotel is right on the beach and give you complimentary beach towels every day (just ask at the spa or reception), if the sea breeze is too much then use the terrace which is a real sun trap! Breakfast is good, we also ate in the Grill a few times and food there good too. We can recommend the Grasshopper cocktail from the bar! Generally the staff were very polite, friendly and helpful, unfortunately the two middle aged male 'head waiters' at breakfast were not friendly at all, sometimes rude. This was the only negative for an otherwise very enjoyable stay. Condor Ferries offers great deals.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Khlara

Thank you for the review.

Thank you for the kind comments about the food and the Grasshopper cocktails, you seemed to have enjoyed the hotel, but we have clearly let you down; regarding the two people that you refer to; we try our best to have a good helpful and friendly team at L’Horizon and I am disappointed if we have let you down in this area.

It would help me greatly if you were able to let me have any more information about what happened. I hope that we are able to speak soon.

Reviewed 15 July 2013

Have stayed here on three occasions and have been impressed each time. The hotel location on the beach is great and the staff always aiming to please with a smile. Enjoyed the restaurant which offered choice with great service. Don't forget the spa, great fun.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JoBacquenois
MartinKelly, General Manager at L'Horizon Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2013

Dear Jo

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your third stay at L’Horizon Beach Hotel. Thank you for the positive comments about the restaurants, spa, location and service. I love the title “Just Perfect”

We hope that you come back for your fourth visit soon.

Reviewed 12 July 2013

This was my first time at the L'Horizon, and it certainly won't be my last. I loved every single minute of my visit. Everyone was so friendly and very helpful. The food was perfect! Everything was that good that I didn't want to go home. I definitely recommend this hotel - it is suitable for all ages and a stones throw from the beautiful beach. You will not be disappointed at all. Stunning!!

Room Tip: We actually upgraded to a sea view room for 2nights when we first checked in, we spent first night i...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Summer230311
MartinKelly, General Manager at L'Horizon Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2013

Hi

Thank you for the remove, I am delighted that you enjoyed the visit as a L’Horizon first timer. Thank you for the positive comments, I am glad you were pleased with the upgrade, we do have over 60% of the rooms that are sea view.

I hope you have the chance to come back soon and become a L’Horizon regular.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Brelade
#6 of 32 in St Helier
Hotel La Place
Hotel La Place
#1 of 16 in St Brelade

Been to L'Horizon Beach Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!