“perfect position”

L'Horizon Beach Hotel & Spa
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in St Brelade
Reviewed 21 April 2014

What a lovely island Jersey is and L'Horizon Hotel is the perfect place to stay. The location is stunning set right on the beach at St Brelade Bay, and what a beach. There in April 2014,the hotel is very friendly and the staff are excellent. Rooms are very good standard and if you go for sea view, then excellent. Sea view ground floor have large sun terraces but second and third floor rooms have balconies and a more panoramic view.
The hotel has a very good spa facility, although this was been upgraded whilst we were there, I guess complete by June. Eating at the hotel, breakfast was buffet style with just about everything you could wish for, excellent. Lunch can be taken in the Atlantic bar or on the terrace in the summer. The Grill restaurant offers an excellent Table d'hote menu or a la carte( limited) but food excellent. Fully recommended and we are back there in June

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are excellent, ground floor have large sun terrace, rooms on first and second floor h...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 20 April 2014

This was my first time in Jersey, my husband's third visit and I wasn't sure what to expect but I definitely wasn't disappointed with the island or l'horizon.

We stayed Monday to Friday and everything about the whole trip was fantastic. Breakfast was great, I've never seen so much choice and it was good to have so much space to wander around the buffet. We had one problem on the last morning where we had to ask for hot drinks but this was soon rectified.

We ate in the restaurant on two nights and the meals were both excellent as was the service. We had drinks before meals on each night and these were very reasonable as were the coffees we had during the day. If you find it a bit pricey there are a few cafes along the promenade but don't book into a four star hotel if you want cafe prices.

Loved being so close to the sea and the beach and had some great strolls along the front and on the beach. Must say it was a bit scary walking back to the hotel after a meal further along the front with the sea coming over the wall.

The pool and spa treatment I had were great and hopefully we will return next year when the new spa is fully up and running.

Great place to stay with excellent service!

Room Tip: A sea view is a MUST!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

First time on the Island, great welcome, helpful on arrival. Shown around and felt like VIPs. Staff courteous and very helpful. Spa was undergoing refurb when we stayed but many facilities still available and were good. New spa plans look fantastic. We would come back.

Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank matthew s
Reviewed 19 April 2014

His was my second visit to the hotel and the room, service and food was as excellent as on the first trip. The spa was being refurbished but they had kept the pool open and were using bedrooms for facials etc. The plans for the new spa look fantastic - I shall definitely be back to try out the new facilities.
We booked in for a great evening of fine dining and wine tasting - well worth it. The staff were great as usual.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 April 2014

We live in Jersey & opted to stay here for a weekend getaway after having read reviews online. It didn't meet our expectations at all and we wouldn't be coming back. Overall it was too pricey; you would expect to pay so much & get service & comfort that is comparable but this wasn't our experience.
We had a warm reception by the lady at the front desk & I wish I had taken down her name cos she deserves to be acknowledged. The corridors leading up to the rooms were so narrow you're almost in contact with the opposite room. We could hear lots of sound from the neighboring rooms and we imagine that they must have been disturbed by our 2yr old as well. The hotel in general had signs of wear & tear...the rugs, the tiles, the doors.
We also had a not too good experience. We had booked to have dinner at the grill on the Saturday evening and were told that the only available slot was the 9pm slot so we were booked by another lady at the reception desk. On getting to the grill at 9pm we were told by one of their staff, a man who appeared to be Portuguese that our names were not on the booking. So there we were looking confused, hungry and tired. He took us down the corridor offering to try to get us a seat in their other dining room which we declined cos we had eaten there the previous night and didn't find it interesting. Just as we were deliberating a lady came from the grill telling us we couldn't go in as they don't allow children after a certain time. She was rude to put it nicely. I have also forgotten her name. A staff at the reception booked us in for 9pm knowing we have a
son and there we were being turned down. That put me off completely and I felt that we were treated badly cos we are dark skinned. We returned to our room having nothing to eat. On the morning of our departure we went to have breakfast which is supposed to be a buffet service slated to start at 7:30am. We got there a few minutes after 7:30 and there was nothing to eat. The guy at the door had to keep going back and forth to the kitchen to get us organised. Overall it was not a relaxing time for us at all and having paid £350 pounds for 2 nights we didn't get good value for our money. The hotel needs to do better and needs to ensure that all their staff know what their policies are and say the same thing to customers.
I wouldn't be recommending this place to anyone

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Nnennaya
MartinKelly, General Manager at L'Horizon Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to complete your review on Tripadvisor.

I regret that there were aspects of your stay that fell short of your expectations. I am sorry if you felt the hotel looked a little tired we are constantly refurbishing areas and replacing any worn carpets and other items with in the hotel. This is an ongoing task completed by our 5 strong maintenance team.

I am sad to read of the issue with your reservation in the Grill restaurant on the second night of your stay, we have spoken to the people concerned regarding the reservations and we do not seem to able to find the actual reservation for that evening. I am sorry that our system fell short that evening and any embarrassment or annoyance this caused. I can assure you that there is no question of any discrimination regarding this error on our part. However as I am keen to understand what went wrong with the reservation, I would be grateful if we could discuss this further.

I also apologise that there was an issue with breakfast, when the hotel has relatively high occupancy we do offer a buffet breakfast. The buffet is set up from 8am however at 7am the breakfast room opens and we do offer a continental buffet from the buffet along with a cooked breakfast that should have been served to your table if requested. I am sorry that this did not happen on this particular day. I have followed this up with the people that manage that area.

Once again I apologise for any shortfalls that occurred during your stay. As you have mentioned we have many genuine positive responses on Tripadvisor. I hope that you are able to give us the chance to prove ourselves in a more positive light

Regards

Martin

Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

I was staying here on business.

The hotel seems to have a great name in the local area and when I said to people where I was staying they commented on how nice it is.

Reception was welcoming and efficient however sadly I was stuck with a view of a wall rather than the beautiful water - but these things happen! The room itself was very small but perfectly nice with a lovely comfy bed and good size TV. However the bathroom had some mouldy and marked grout between the tiles and just needed a bit more attention to detail.

We ate breakfast in the hotel for 2 days and it was superb and great quality.

Wifi was free but cut out from time to time during my stay - no big deal.

Finally I would say the hotel in places is looking really tired - the carpets are very worn (despite a sign apologising for this and saying a new one has been ordered). Also out the back the white exterior is very shabby with rust marks all over it, it really just needs some TLC. I guess with lots of sea water being battered off the nearby walls the rust happens easily.

Overall this is a lovely hotel in a beautiful location with excellent staff.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Nairn M
Reviewed 11 April 2014

We booked an overnight stay in preparation for our Wedding and could not have been more reassured that we have made the right choice. The staff were all warm, welcoming and attentive. The food was delicious, from breakfast to afternoon tea, and we were very well looked after by both the Waitress and the Head Chef for our superb evening tasting. We were upgraded to an extremely comfortable deluxe sea view room giving us a beautiful outlook over the bay.

We are regular visitors to Jersey and have stayed in many hotels, some have better bars, some have better spas, but you can't beat the location or the staff at L'Horizon making it our overall winner.

We can not wait until we go back!

Room Tip: We loved our deluxe room but also saw a classic which looked just as comfortable and well equipped...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
#11 of 16 in St Brelade
Hotel La Place
Hotel La Place
#1 of 16 in St Brelade

Been to L'Horizon Beach Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!