“Lovely girly weekend escape”

L'Horizon Beach Hotel & Spa
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in St Brelade
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Lovely girly weekend escape”
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

My friend and I wanted a last minute escape & location was determined on where we could get a flight to - jersey! We wanted a bit of luxury, nice food, spa and this seemed to tick all the boxes. We did a 3 night dinner, bed & breakfast deal & also some spa treatments.

We arrived early & were greeted by a very welcoming receptionist who let us check in super early (9:30am). The room was fine with a balcony (not sea view as they were over £100 more a night!). It's set on a stunning beach and we were lucky to get 3 days of sunshine and made the most of free sunbeds on the beach (which is a nice touch for hotel guests).

We dined at the fine dining restaurant on two of the nights (the waiters were lovely) & upgraded to the taster menu - the menu included in the package just wasn't as inspiring but think places do that on purpose! The food was delicious & inventive. On the 3rd night we felt like something less rich & got £32 towards food in the Atlantic restaurant which was very disappointing. The waiters were arguing, it had no ambiance and they charger £23 for a badly cooked tough steak with a small portion of wedges that didn't take a chef to make!- I had to pay more for a little basic salad! They also had a wedding there that night so the staff were a little frantic! My only other gripe is the price of the wine. I've noticed a few people mentioned that. You're a captive audience so stuck, there is a balance of making your money from customer drinks and making you customers feel like they are being ripped off!

We pre booked some treatments - I had a fantastic facial but very disappointed massage. Beauty therapist routine rather than someone who really has that magic massage touch. I booked deep tissue & ticked the firm box and it was a very gentle massage, I probably should have said something hut end up feeling awkward - it was very clear from my booking I wanted a deep tissue massage! It's an elemis spa so it's expensive too and they always to try and sell you products.

So all in all it was a lovely little get away break. Stunning location, clean, good food (not Atlantic). I would go back but wouldn't eat there every night. We'd definitely head to the crab shack along the beach for a bit of a change (and reasonably priced wine!).

To be fair we don't often stay in big hotels so not got a lot to compare it to - more of a guest house, quirky accommodation person.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank natraliam
MartinKelly, General Manager at L'Horizon Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Hi

Thank you for the review, 50% I am delighted with and the rest disappointed.

I am sorry that you experienced the issues in the Atlantic room and Spa wasn’t the Wow that both you and I hoped it would be. These things should not have occurred.

To help me further I would love the opportunity to discuss these issues further to give me a better understanding of what happened. I often ask this but rarely get a reply, so I hope that I am more fortunate on this occasion.

I am glad that there we were some aspects that you enjoyed, it is all meant to be like that.

I hope that we have the opportunity to speak soon.

Regards

Martin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (384)
Kent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We have just returned from a wonderful long weekend at the stylish L'Horizon Hotel in Jersey. We decided to go by ferry, which worked out perfectly, as the ferry was empty and we had a lovely luxury cabin for the children to sleep in, plus they loved the experience of being on a boat and
in a cabin. The hotel is a short journey from the ferry terminal, and we were blown away by our
beautiful hotel room overlooking the sea. The setting of L'horizon is magical and the rooms were
beautiful, luxurious and spotless. We had a gorgeous terrace overlooking the sea, where we
were able to have breakfast on outside every morning with the children. The hotel was very relaxing and the children slept very well. Although we ate out a lot, we also sampled the room service and Grill Restaurant, which were equally fantastic, as was the delicious home cooked breakfast. The swimming pool was lovely, although we felt a bit out of place with the children as many people were doing 'lengths'. The children loved spending time on the beach, which went on for miles when the tide was out. The beach is very bustly and there is a huge amount to watch from your balcony, a host of different activities going on. It was wonderful having an evening aperitif on our terrace whilst savouring the aroma of fresh barbecued prawns wafting upwards + the fresh smell of the sea, and gentle sea breeze. Jersey itself, was brilliant. We found it a very family friendly beautiful island with a great many attractions and delicious restaurants. We sampled Crab Shack, Oyster Box to name a few of the spectacular seafood restaurants in the area. The staff in the hotel were only too pleased to help out, and we can't wait to book again next year.

Room Tip: Choose a hotel overlooking the sea, with a balcony or terrace
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Kentresident18
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I am currently staying at this hotel. Wow its good. Checkin was no fuss - hassle free. I had a lovely tour of the hotel prior to been given my room.

My room is on the ground floor, with large terrace, 2 sun loungers and table and chairs. Good sun trap. Fantastic view of the sea.

The hotel is located directly on the beach, great for paddling, walking and even swimming if you are brave enough.

The room is big enough for a sole traveller, I am on business on the island. It is extremely clean, the bed comfy and has a good selection of tea / coffee ect.

Breakfast was great, a buffet but not stewed and a chief to make any special requested ie fresh eggs ect. It was also a great selection.

I have dinner last night on the terrace and the service was great, I opted for a burger and it was cooked perfect. I have to say the chips that came were best ever. Not the frozen ones most hotels offer but home made. MMMM

I have also requested a late check out and the reception team have already arranged this for me and also a taxi for the airport.

I could honestly say I would have no problem recommending this hotel to anyone.

forgot to mention the pool is good and also has a hottub too. I will be trying the spa treatments later before I go, but they offer a good selection.

Room Tip: 174 is on the ground floor, great to sunbath. It is a single room with double bed but big enough fo...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank deedeep1970
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I have stayed at L'Horizon several times and it never lets me down. Fantastic view of the sea from the balcony, lovely rooms, the best bed linen and most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. Wonderful breakfast - great choice of pastries and breads, cereal, fruit, meat and cheese, yogurt as well as full cooked breakfast items, refillable toast and tea/coffee and juices. We had a wonderful meal on the terrace enjoying the last of the evening sun. The spa is also a great plus - we went early and had the pool, jacuzzi, steam room and sauna to ourselves for most of the time. I love this hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the sea - it's worth the extra.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 10 July 2014

My family and I have been staying at this hotel for the last 20+ years so it would be an understatement to say that we love it. We're all keen travellers and rarely go back to the same place twice but L'Horizon is the exception. I've written several glowing reviews before so I won't be repetitive and it's great to see that some of the changes I've suggested in past reviews have actually been actioned.

Briefly, the sea view bedrooms are fab, the staff are wonderful (without exception) and the new spa is a delight. This year, we were on the dinner, bed and breakfast rate for a change and were happy with the quality of the food, especially as it also included a voucher for the Oyster Box, a favourite restaurant of ours. The hotel was also extremely accommodating in letting us occasionally swap our dinner for lunch instead, which we had on the terrace.

I have absolutely no criticism at all to make apart from one that has been constant throughout our 20 year stay: the lounge area is simply not big enough, especially on wet days or when there are conferences or weddings being held in the hotel. If only the room overlooking the sea (the one containing the computer) could be turned into a comfortable lounge area for folk who might prefer somewhere a little quieter to read? Whilst we were there, it was used for a wedding, a dining area and for a small conference of about 5 people who had the blinds closed on the sea view windows so that they could see their flip chart. Not really a welcoming, relaxing sight for hotel guests (too much of a reminder of what you're trying to escape when you come on holiday!) If new space could be found for the spa then pretty please, can a new space be found for your conference folk please so that hotel guests can spread out more on rainy days?!

Anyway, aside from that, all's right with the world and L'Horizon continues to be a wonderful hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a sea view room - you won't regret it.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Farrington Gurney, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a work visit at the local hospital. Beautiful room with balcony overlooking the gorgeous beach. Staff couldn't be more helpful, carrying bags and showing me around the hotel. They even carried my work bags to my room each afternoon.
I had room service each evening and the food was just superb, again with exemplary service.
Hotel was very clean and tidy throughout. All in all a perfect stay, just a shame I had to do some work really. I hope to come back :)

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank emmajanie
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

35th wedding anniversary long weekend was special. Room with a balcony overlooking the beach was lovely. Afternoon tea was delicious but could have had a few more sandwiches and one or two less cakes. The dinning room lets the property down as the tables are too close and you cannot help but listen to your neighbours conversation, and they to yours. Lots of lovely restaurants to choose from for dinner, particularly if you like fish. The staff were very welcoming and helpful.

Room Tip: rooms on the third floor have the best views of the beach as you are above the promenade wall
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Grand Jersey Hotel & Spa
Grand Jersey Hotel & Spa
#5 of 32 in St Helier
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,591 reviews

Been to L'Horizon Beach Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!