“Good Hotel that could be a Great Hotel.”

L'Horizon Beach Hotel & Spa
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in St Brelade
Jersey
“Good Hotel that could be a Great Hotel.”
Reviewed 21 February 2011

I stayed here for one night on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis and for the most part, thoroughly enjoyed it.

We had a Deluxe Ocean view room with a breathtaking view over St Brelades Bay. The room was spotlessly clean and stylish with a very comfortable king size bed. The bathroom was not as recently refurbished as the bedroom, but it was clean and large and didn't look out of place. The huge towels and soft robes were appreciated, as was the spare blanket in the wardrobe when it got a bit chilly out on the balcony.

Dinner in the Grill Restaurant was excellent, in fact we thought it better than a recent meal at a local michelin starred restaurant. The service was a little patchy at times (we had to order a bottle of water twice before we got it, and waited a little too long between the arrival of the coffee cups and the coffee itself) but nothing that spoiled the experience.

We used the swimming pool and jacuzzi and found both clean and pleasant. I particularly liked the raised position of the jacuzzi, allowing views out over the beach.

Just a couple of suggestions that I think would make the experience even better - I expect a travelodge to have a weak hairdryer bolted to the furniture, not a 4* hotel. Offering a turn down service is nice, but perhaps the housekeeping staff could have a copy of the restaurant reservations, allowing them to discreetly enter rooms whilst guests are at dinner rather than knocking on the door whilst we're in the middle of getting dressed. Lastly, I was insulted to be told 'you're late' by a surly female greeter when we arrived for breakfast 35 minutes before the advertised closing time, and the walls in the crystal room could be cleaner.

Despite these minor niggles, we would definitely stay again, and would recommend L'Horizon to friends and family.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
London
Reviewed 4 February 2011

We stayed at L'Horizon in January 2011 and cannot praise it highly enough. The food was exquisite and the staff were so helpful and accommodating. The highlight for me was the location - right on the beach - there is no greater pleasure to me than going to sleep listening to the sound of the waves. I should also say how lovely pre-dinner drinks are with the lovely piano music in the bar. I would definitely recommend and will definitely return.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
South Devon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2011

Would thoroughly recommend this hotel time and time again! We stayed (for a 3rd time!) over Xmas and New Year 2010 and even got married in the hotel when we were there! Rooms are tidy and clean, staff are some of the most efficient, pleasant and polite I have come across in ANY hotel, food was, well, without exception excellent - especially the Sunday Brunch Buffet. A little expensive at around £33 each but worth every single penny! If your on Jersey on a Sunday go!!!!!

Excellent location right on the beach, rooms were very quiet at night and loads of space in them, everything very nicely done with effortless ease. This is NOT a stuffy 4* business hotel, very easy going atmosphere to it, great for business or please - no small issue was too much trouble during our stay and wedding - and believe me, i am picky!!!! - all dealt with very quickly and with a smile.

Would i recommend this hotel and stay there again? Yes and yes - we are going back in March!!!

Jerry Baxter

PS - try the Oyster Box just down the road, excellent!!!!!!!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
travelpic
Reviewed 3 January 2011

I almost don’t want to write a review on this hotel as I love it so much and not sure I want more people to see how wonderful it is!!! This is the second time I have stayed at this hotel and I hope to visit time and time again. The staff are very friendly and helpful, the food is divine (and I am a fussy eater!!), the location is stunning and the Spa is relaxing and very therapeutic.

The hotel seems to cater for everyone, old and young, with a games room for kids and the spa for the adults. The rooms have DVD players and you can hire DVD’s from reception if you really have nothing else to do! If there is something on the set menu that you don’t like they will try and find and alternative for you. You can take afternoon tea overlooking the sea or in your room. Even if you don’t have a sea view room, the other rooms are equally as beautiful and big.

I booked a treatment for my partner and myself and the therapist I had remembered me from the first visit 2 years ago! It was like catching up with an old friend.

This time we hired a car and spent one day driving around the whole island, stopping off at various points suggested in the guide book I have. At breakfast the waiter advised us on places to see eat and the next day he asked how we got on. I would recommend visiting the Jersey Pearl workshop, Jersey pottery and Mont Orgueil Castle (although we never went inside as it was closed, it was beautiful to see and photograph). Hiring a car is very worth while, the island is very small and its very easy to drive around. St Helier is a must see too, great for shopping.

We have only ever been in winter, and although we have had some rain, its never stopped us from exploring and we still are able to walk on the beautiful beach, which is lovely on a nice crisp morning. Maybe the next time we go it will be in season.

Enjoy your stay, its worth the money and I am sure you too will want to return.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 December 2010

We stayed here for a weekend in mid november 2010 and had a really lovely time. The setting is beautiful - right on a gorgeous beach and near the fab oyster box restaurant (definitely worth a visit but make sure you book). Fantastic breakfast and hotel's own formal restaurant served up a really accomplished meal when all the other restaurants of note proved to be booked up (pre-book for Saturday nights out!). If we were to be super critical service over dinner was a bit patchy and parts of the hotel look a bit ' corporate' but the important things are done really well and we very much hope to go back.

• Stayed November 2010
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 November 2010

This hotel is beautiful and in a lovely location even though it is a bit far from town, about a 10 min bus or taxi ride. I would say ignore the bad reviews, I have quite high standards myself as I have stayed in hundreds of hotels, the rooms are very modern and spotless. The beds are huge and really comfy. The food is great especially room service afternoon tea/ breakfast. There is a lovely indoor pool and sauna which is very clean and well kept, and a nice relaxing place to spend an afternoon.
The beach is right outside the back terrace of the hotel and is very long - good for a morning walk or run. Pizza express is a 2 minute walk down the same road.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
Loughborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2010

Hi,Just back from L'Horizon Hotel & Spa La Route de la Baie, St Brelade JE3 8EF on 21/11/2010 after 3 nights bed & breakfast, Ive been in lots of 4* hotels around the world but this is the best by far, the room was spotless and excellent quality room 348, breakfast excellent choice of every type of breakfast inc full english,staff very helpful and polite, if you are going to jersey check out lastminute.com we a got a package inc flights from east mids airport for 2 people inc 3 nights @ L'Horizon Hotel & Spa for £446 fully inclusive works out @ £74.33 per night including the flights! Im already looking for 2nd booking ! mr bryce.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Grand Jersey Hotel & Spa
Grand Jersey Hotel & Spa
#6 of 32 in St Helier
Radisson Blu Waterfront Hotel, Jersey

Been to L'Horizon Beach Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!