“Wonderful Hotel for a getaway weekend”

St. Brelades Bay Hotel
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in St Brelade
Hitchin
“Wonderful Hotel for a getaway weekend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2012

Booked this hotel in the basis of reviews and we not disapointed. The hotels staff were all very friendly and helpful. The room we had (upgraded on arrival) was superb. Recently refurbished to a very good standard and wonderful sea view from the balcony. Did not dine in the restaurant but it was full both nights we were there, so it must be good. Highly recommend this hotel and St Brelades Bay as a great place to stay on Jersey.

Room Tip: Room 47 was superb. On a corner, so larger room which has been refurbished. Great views from the bal...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
Oldham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2012

Booked a 'local deal' for one night : double room with balcony and fantastic sea view, three course evening dinner with excellent choice and very high standard cuisine and a full English breakfast buffet. ALL FOR £129 FOR TWO PEOPLE!!!
The offer is only on until the end of June but we went last year without this deal and had a fantastic time. Facilities are great for all ages- outdoor heated pools, indoor pool, children's play room, tennis court, lovely sun terrace, large comfortable seating areas, beautiful soft furnishings, art etc. The room we had was marvellous- slept right through, which is unusual for me.
Will definitely be back even without any 'offers'.

Room Tip: Must have a seaview and balcony.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2012

We have just returned from a family holiday at this hotel and it was fabulous for accommodating our three generations.

Our daughter who has just turned 3 enjoyed the outdoor pools and the indoor pool which we used when the weather wasn't so good. The food for kids was fantastic, lots of choice, all homemade puddings.

There is a great new gym and indoor pool area with a spa opening soon. The dinner at night had amazing food, beautifully presented and served by such lovely staff who went out of their way to make our stay a memorable one.

Only sore point was that room was above the bar and a disco for adults was so noisy that we couldn't sleep until it stopped at midnight due to the thumping noise. Apart from that minor problem we had a fantastic holiday and will be back.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms above the bar - too noisy
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2012

St Brelade's Bay Hotel Staff were very welcoming.Roxana,Nicky and Simone at reception always available with Bus timetables etc. Tony , Acting General Manageralways around every time we went through Reception on our way in or out. Lovely view from our Bedroom,over the pretty harbour area of the Bay. Delicious breakfasts excellent selection,well cooked and displayed in the BuffetRoom. Restaurant enjoys exquisite Bay views. Attentive service.Good toast and good De Caff. coffee. Leon, Maitre D' very much on the ball and charming.We did not dine in as we had other plans. Bedrooms are newly refurbished ,attractive decor and well appointed compact bathrooms. Could do with a Shaving magnifying Mirror for the men. Maria ,Housekeeping very efficient ,looked after our room most of the time.Avoid Bedroom 9. Indoor Swimming pool very beautiful,I found the wate rin the shower cubicles too hot. Stephen the Manager checked and said temp.had been a bit high but had been adjusted. Staff at the DW Pool friendly anfdinformative to newcomers,so you know the ropes.

Room Tip: Avoid room 9
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank marion541
jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012 via mobile

From check in to check out this hotel was wonderful breakfast was great excellent service and food was great too! The sea view room was beautiful and the fresh fruit in room on arrival was a lovely touch and also having your paper delivered on a daily basis was lovely touch I really can't fault this hotel. Me and my husband stayed here for a week and like I said beds and pillows were so comfortable. I had the best sleep in a hotel I have ever had and I've stayed in many hotels so 5 stars for that alone. DW health club is very nice up to date weights and equipment and the swimming pool and spa is lovely too. The outdoor pool is really nice too. The weather wasn't very good so I only used the outdoor pool once but it's lovely and. Grounds of the hotel are so pretty and very well maintained gardens need a mention too beautiful flowers all over the hotel and grounds. hotel is defiantly worth a visit as the location and views are a plus point restaurant in hotel is worth a visit too. Great Hotel would defiantly recommend it.

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mishJersey
Shoreham by Sea
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2012

My wife and I stayed here in late May and we were blown away by most of what the hotel had to offer – so why the negative headline and not so great rating? Let me take you through all of the aspects of this hotel to let you see why……….

Location: stunning. St Brelade’s Bay is Jersey’s finest beach and surely one of the best beaches in the UK. The hotel is situated at one end of the beach and you get brilliant views out to sea and all along the beach. The beach is great for families with plenty of watersports available.

Hotel: again, stunning. Recently refurbished to a very high standard the general décor is lovely, as are the rooms. The rear gardens are top notch boasting a swimming and paddling pool, eating area and beautiful gardens.

Prices: the hotel wasn’t cheap – we paid £187 per night for a sea view room. However, we felt the prices elsewhere in the hotel were very fair. For example, a 3 course menu at dinner was £32 pp, with 6 courses only £38 pp. Ok, so coffee is one course of the 6, but that’s still great value. Drinks were fair too – a bottle of good quality wine around £20.00, cheaper than most basic hotels.

Food: the restaurant served a really good dinner. The menu was excellent and the quality of cooking and food was very good indeed. It didn’t suit me perfectly but honestly you won’t eat better in many hotels or restaurants. You had to have the same table for breakfast and dinner, which grated at first but we soon came to like the arrangement. Especially at breakfast where there was no waiting for a table, you just wondered in and sat yourself down, knowing your table would be free. Breakfast was good too – not great but good, with plenty of varied options.

Service: quite good. The restaurant staff seem to have been with the hotel for decades, or at least they appear that way! Many were easily in their 60s, and dressed impeccably. Service was good, but an odd habit occurred on our first night which bugged me. We ordered 2 glasses of champagne and sat drinking at our table with our starter. I then had to sign the bill for the champagne there and then! I don’t think that’s ever happened to me – the bill just gets added to the overall bill at the end. Plus I had to interrupt my starter to sign. Very odd. I cannot comment if this was a one off as I didn’t eat dinner in the restaurant again, but if this is a regular occurrence it needs to stop as it’s amateurish in the extreme.
But let’s not dwell on this, overall everyone was excellent.

Health club: the hotel boast its own DW gym. It’s comfortably the best hotel gym I’ve ever seen. It’s basically a full on health club and spa that hotel guests can use. It has a brilliant view, the most modern CV and weights equipment and a brilliant indoor pool and spa. You will not get better than this.

Rooms: here’s where I have to get negative. There were two major issues, noise and heat. This really is the hotel that forgot to sound proof any of its rooms. On our first night my wife and I were woken very early by a herd of elephants in the room above us. It was exceptionally loud, I thought a 20 stone man was stomping around in a huff. But no, it was 2 very small children doing what children do – running about in the morning. But honestly, it sounded like elephants! Anyway, we were moved – without any issues – by the manager into an upstairs seaview room. Excellent. But still the thin walls plagued us. I could hear next door converse, and I don’t mean muffled talking I mean I could hear their every word. When the lady opened her drawers it was as though she were in the room. And if they showered, well, I thought it was raining cats and dogs. Tapping the walls they felt like the flimsiest of stud walls. It really is a great shame – so much money lavished on the hotel but nothing on sound proofing. It’s like the Taj Mahal built with shallow foundations – on the surface it looks great but someone’s forgotten to get the basics right first.

So what about the heat? Well, this hotel is not alone in suffering from hot temperatures in the room even when the outside temperature is mild. On one evening it was 18 degrees overnight but I didn’t sleep a wink as in the room it must have been mid 20s. Yes, the windows and patio door was open, the ceiling fan on, towel rail off and room heating off. But it was hideously hot. Like many UK hotels they don’t think air con is worth having – I have to tell them they are wrong – this hotel desperately needs it – especially those seaview rooms which all face south.

Other bits: free parking on hotel grounds. Hurrah, not always available on Jersey. Never feels busy as it’s only got relatively few rooms. The clientele seem quite old which I liked as they were quiet overnight (see noise complaint above!).

So would I go back? Not in the summer I’m afraid. But at other times? Oh yes, absolutely. But I’d ensure I’d packed ear plugs first!

Room Tip: Sea front room is a must, but take ear plugs and don't go in a heatwave!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Teamtango
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2012

Beautiful hotel set in a stunning location. We was upgraded to the penthouse suite called les minqueries. Amazing views from the balcony and a telescope was provided too! Can't wait to return.

• Stayed May 2012
Hotel de France
Hotel de France
#1 of 32 in St Helier
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,785 reviews

Been to St. Brelades Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!