“No let down from old memories”

St. Brelades Bay Hotel
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in St Brelade
Reviewed 28 August 2012

I used to go to this hotel with my parents and decided to take my wife to the hotel. It was even better than I remembered some 40+ years ago. Well refurbished rooms, great food at breakfast and evening meal. The gardens and pool are magnificent. They have added an indoor pool and keep fit suite, which we didnt visit during the week!!

Room Tip: Slightly cheaper overlooking pool - who needs to see the sea!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for St. Brelades Bay Hotel

Reviewed 20 August 2012

We have enjoyed a family holiday at the St. Brelade's Bay Hotel every year for the last 28 years! It was perfect when the children were babies/toddlers as the hotel is very child friendly and the staff could not be kinder or more helpful. Even though the "children" are now grown up they still love coming as there is so much to do on the island, as well as in the hotel itself, particularly since the addition of the fantastic new gym and indoor pool. The view over the bay is awesome and the beach is lovely and clean. There are several watersports available in the bay but they are only at one side so as not to impede those wishing to swim.
For those not wishing to sunbathe on the beach, the hotel's garden is absolutely beautiful with plenty of sunbeds available. There is an outdoor pool, also surrounded by sunbeds, but the garden is stepped so it is possible to sit or lie further up the garden where it is quieter, with some large trees for those who wish to be shaded from the sun. The flowers and shrubs are magnificent and the hotel constantly wins prizes for its display.
The hotel rooms are beautifully clean and those at the front have spectacular views over the bay. The staff are all friendly, helpful and supremely efficient, particularly the maitre d, waiters, porters and chambermaids. The food is absolutely delicious, with an excellent variety in the daily menus. Once again, the view over the bay from the dining room is stunning.
We would have no hesitation in thoroughly recommending St. Brelade's Bay Hotel.

Room Tip: Although more expensive, the front rooms have stunning views over the bay.
1  Thank 186306Cathy
Reviewed 17 August 2012

We had a four day break at St Brelade's Bay Hotel and enjoyed it very much. We travelled with our son, daughter-in-law and one year old grandson. The hotel was definitely child-friendly and nothing was too much trouble for them. The rooms were lovely and cleaned thoroughly. Staff were great with children. We had fantastic sea views and lovely weather for four days. We enjoyed swimming in the outdoor pool. The indoor pool, jacuzzi and steam room was very relaxing and spotlessly clean. We would definitely recommended this hotel.

Room Tip: Book a sea view - we stayed in rooms 37 and 41 - fantastic views!
2  Thank Duncleeds
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Long established family holiday hotel, which after a re-fit and the addition of a state of the art gym and indoor pool complex (one of the best on the island) now opens all year and is also attracting business travellers. Perhaps the best located holiday hotel on the island. Whilst imperfect it remains my hotel of choice for a holiday hotel - mainly due to its location, facilities and general atmosphere.

Families return here year after year. Grandparents, parents and children can all have a good holiday here and some families bring all the generations as a big group.

The hotel is nearing the end of a long refurbishment. It provides rooms of a reasonable (not brilliant) 4* standard with good modern bathrooms, but the high season room rates are costly. Having said this, it is worth paying extra for a sea view room as the views are spectacular, but the rear rooms overlook the very pretty and well maintained gardens and are nice also. All rooms are quite shallow as the building is not very deep. They are comfortable enough without being fantastic. My bathroom was large, modern and spotlessly clean. The TV was difficult to use as it had been updated with a freeview box, which was hidden behind it and without a direct line of sight for the remote control. I stayed in a garden facing family room, which had benefit of a second bedroom for children equipped with a bunk-bed and their own TV. I was staying with someone who had a small sea facing single room. Whilst small it was large enough, but had no drawer space.

Facilities are good. Nice outdoor pool complex, great gym and indoor pool, tennis court, gardens, children's play room, children's television room, entertainment at night, etc etc. Also access to Saint Brelade's Bay beach and its watersports.

Young children beware of a road that runs from right outside the front of the hotel - you have to cross the road to get to the beach. This sounds worse than it is in reality as it is not a busy road and the speed limit is 20mph.

The outdoor cafe provides good lunches during the summer and provides excellent views of the fabulous bay and is quite well priced for what you get. Side orders of chips are massive - one is enough to feed a family. It is a shame that this restaurant is not open in the evening, as it provides good quality al fresco dining and I much prefer this to the main restaurant.

The main restaurant needs work and is very expensive in comparison to what is available in the immediate area. It is not awful, but is very dated, overly expensive and the food quality is only reasonable. A few years ago the food here was very good, so perhaps the chef has changed. A pianist plays some evenings - a lovely older chap who is over ninety! Until recently you had to wear a jacket and tie - which strangely worked better than the current more relaxed approach. Tired jeans, T-shirts etc don't work well in what is a formal dining room. I suggest the hotel needs to offer two eating venues - one formal, the other informal (why not open the excellent pool-side café in the evening and perhaps increase usage of the bar and lounge areas as an informal dining venue) and to re-introduce a dress-code for the formal one. Jacket and tie is perhaps too much for a holiday hotel, but could be a no jeans / no T-shirt policy.

At least one of the older waiters in the main restaurant has been here too long and is unfriendly and helpful, but the other waiters and Head Waiter are friendly. The main restaurant is not bad enough to avoid, but much better dining experiences can be had close to hand such as the Oyster Box (opposite) and The Beach Hut (other side of the bay). It is tired, stiff, very expensive, and the food is only reasonable.

Breakfast is a largely self-service arrangement in the main dining room (drinks, toast and less popular cooked items are served). It is OK without being particularly fantastic. The porridge was great.

Most of the staff are very friendly and helpful. I found the online booking system challenging, so suggest you e-mail or just phone. The receptionist was a bit sharp on the phone, but efficient - I found the front desk friendly and helpful when I got here, so perhaps she was having a bad day.

Room Tip: Rooms with a sea view come at a premium - but wow what a view, but there is also a road beneath you...
6  Thank Travel-Recipient
Reviewed 12 August 2012

We wanted a short break as Susan has never flown before and hasn't got a passport. We chose jersey as driving license ID is OK.
The hotel was absolutely fabulous, the guests' comfort and happiness being the total concern of every member of staff that we met. All staff were attentive and personable with no request too large or too small. It had that sophisticated and genteel air of Raffles in Singapore. Food was of the highest quality with great variety and unusual choices.
The room was lovely and kept spotlessly tidy by the chamber staff.
The gardens were tropically beautiful with no shortage of sun loungers with complimentary towels and mattresses. The waiter service in all ares of the hotel was speedy and efficient and although we usually tipped, we felt no animosity when we didn't... know what I mean!!
We had a sea view room which was well worth the extra ; it is a beautiful beach with something of interest to look at during daylight hours.
We went to St Helier by bus a regular service and were delighted by the range of high st. shops in an olde world French style town.
We couldn't fault our mini break and both wished that we could have stopped longer and agreed that another visit was necessary.
Susan loved flying so putting the cherry on top of a very successful trip
Thank you to the staff of the Bay Hotel.

Room Tip: The sea view extra is definitely worth it.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank launch
Reviewed 10 August 2012

We booked to stay here one night, opting to stay at a different hotel each night of our stay on the island. We booked a superior sea view room with balcony. The room was large and airy and had fabulous views of the bay. The balcony was accessed by climbing out of the window, through a patio door, so a little dodgy when carrying drinks. The balcony was a railed area, on the flat roof of the hotel frontage, however still a great space to sit and soak up the sun, that is if it had still been around. The sun disappears off the front of the hotel at midday so that was slightly disappointing. We had a problem with our safe in the room and someone came straight up, after calling reception and immediately identified the need to change the batteries, which was done straight away. I was asked, at check in, if I'd like a morning paper however no one then explained that I'd have to collect it myself from reception. When I went to do this, after breakfast, they hadn't ordered me a paper at all, so why bother to ask. Our room could only be accessed by stairs and anywhere else a porter would be on hand to carry the bags however here I was asked if I could manage, or should they get someone to help. I'm used to carrying heavy bags so lugged it up the stairs myself. I didn't use the facilities, such as the outdoor pool which is a raised area at the rear of the hotel. I found it disappointing that there was no information placed in the room to offer any details with regards to the hotel layout, restaurant menu, etc. The only thing in the room was a price list for treatments in the DW health club. The restaurant looked busy all evening but we choose to dine out. There are loads of options within a short walking distance. We had a drink in the bar, which lacked a bit of atmosphere and as everyone seemed to be glued to the tv we choose to sit in the quieter comfy seats, across from reception. Breakfast was buffet style and the choice was good but a little irritating that I had to keep asking for my coffee to be refilled. Why not leave a pot on the table, or use bigger cups, or come around more often to refill. What I did find odd was being asked by the waiting staff how long we were staying and I think the fact we said one night impacted on the service we then received. Overall a nice hotel, in a great spot, but it didn't live up to my expectations as having that wow factor and wasn't my overall winner, from the 3 hotels we stayed in that weekend. I would return, just for the location.

Room Tip: Sea view is a must
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Diane C
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Booked room sea view & balcony £3,976. Arrived for 2 week holiday to find cramped hotel room with no drawers to even store clothes only 2 hanging wardrobes. Duty Manager took no interest in our problems and it was passed on to another duty manager who offered us another room, garden view and then change to yet another garden room later. This hotel has serious top management issues. We were told the hotel general manager wanted to speak to us. He/she never turned up. We checked out after 2 days. Completely ruined our holiday. They also had weddings and the noise went on until 2am in the morning. Would never stay there again. Nice site and breakfast but thats about all. Concierge very helpful with bags.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
#1 of 5 in StSaviour
Grand Jersey Hotel & Spa
Grand Jersey Hotel & Spa
#6 of 32 in St Helier

Been to St. Brelades Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!