“Excellent stay in every in respect”

St. Brelades Bay Hotel
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in St Brelade
Reviewed 4 November 2012

We were guests at a wedding where the reception was held here, which meant that we got exceptionally good rates so it could be that my view of the hotel is influenced slightly by that.

We had a room with a sea view and a balcony which was a good size. As mentioned by others, the hotel has recently been refurbished and we were impressed with what they have done. Our bathroom had been beautifully finished.

We found all the staff to be excellent and extremely attentive. I guess their approach was a little old-fashioned at times, but I rather liked that.

As mentioned by a previous reviewer, the wifi signal is a bit marginal in the bedrooms, at least was in ours, It was fine in reception and they had a terminal connected to a terminal in the public area which guests were free to use.

I didn't use the new health club area but it looked impressive when I put my head round the door.

The resort itself was very quiet, being off season in Jersey. With the winter bus timetable in action, getting around the island was made a lot more difficult and I wished that we had hired a car. The beach is stunning so we spent a lot of our time simply strolling along it.

Room Tip: Go for the sea-view with balcony.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Stevescott

Reviewed 3 November 2012

Okay lets start on a positive note. (the good). The hotel overlooks one of the best beaches in Jersey. The bathrooms are clean, functional with a good supply of quality toiletries and have been refurbished so all new showers and sanitary ware. The communal rooms are lavishly furnished and are a real pleasure to use. The large wooden staircases add to the high class ambiance. The restaurant is nicely furnished, nice place settings, quality dishes, cutlery etc. We were only B&B so can only comment on the breakfast which was okay. Restaurant staff are reasonably efficient. The hotel also has a new fabulous health suite with fantastic indoor swimming pool, sauna and Jacuzzi and great changing rooms with lockers.

I had booked three rooms. The hotel was virtually empty so now we come on to the bad. I had phoned the hotel after they had received my booking electronically to ask for one of the rooms to be a spacious twin as my sons are early twenties and would prefer beds not too close. They walked into their room to find the beds pushed together and barely room to prize them apart. So their bedroom space wise was barely adequate although they did have a large bathroom. It was a bright room overlooking the pool and nicely decorated. So not all bad but not great that they had completely disregarded my request. My daughters room was however very spacious surely this is the room that should have been allocated to the boys if it was a win bed made into a double which I'm not sure about? Her room was nice in every respect except the dreadful view out of the window.

Now we come (I'm afraid) to the ugly. Our room. Small, dreadful view, see attached pics, dreary decor and a TV in a very dangerous position. (see photo) To watch it you have to fold it outwards on it's stand and this places it right in front of the bathroom door. To walk to the bathroom while the TV is on involves ducking around it, and when you come out of the bathroom you have to have your wits about you to ensure you don't walk straight into it. Perhaps the TV should be where the mirror is and a mirror put on the wall instead. You can't watch TV in bed then click the remote to turn the TV off as you drift to sleep as if you need the bathroom in the night and and head towards it in the dark, your head is going to have a very close and dangerous encounter with a TV screen. Instead you have to get up and fold it back to the wall before turning in for the night. I can't tell you exactly how many times we nearly hit the TV with our heads during our stay, but several times at least. Some of the furniture was dreary and tired, although the bed was comfortable and linen crisply clean.

Now I cannot for the life of me understand the management of this hotel. The hotel was empty. Surely it would have made good business sense to upgrade us (the main members of the party) to a good/better room. The cost is no difference to the hotel. It's the same to clean a good room as it is to clean a bad room. Had we been upgraded we would have walked away raving about the fabulous rooms and wonderful goodwill gesture of great management, and on our next visit would have been more likely to book the higher priced rooms. When an airline has empty seats in first class or business class, what do they do? They upgrade customers without charge as they would rather their customers had a better experience when it's of no extra cost to the airline. Not this hotel, seriously the management need to have a re think. I came to this hotel on the recommendation of my brother who lives in the island. I visit four or five times a year. My advice to other traveller's would be, if you can afford a sea view room, then its okay, if you can't, go elsewhere as there are lots of hotels with comparable rates or better rates that have just as good views. When you have a good experience you tell the world about it which brings more business in, that's a fact! But when you have a bad experience as we have had, you can tell the world about it too, thanks to Tripadvisor!

Room Tip: Not inland facing! If you cant afford a sea facing go elsewhere!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Just_a_Giraffe
Reviewed 3 November 2012

Our wedding (19th.Oct) was recently celebrated in this fantastic hotel. Tony the General Manager along with the Deputy Manager Ricardo orchestrated and delivered a superb day for us, our friends and family. We have been regular visitors for some months now and have enjoyed the first class service delivered by every member of staff. Our day was very special and indeed many of our guests stated that it was one of the best weddings they have ever been to. The whole St Brelade’s team, front of house, waiters, bar staff, concierge and chefs excelled and delivered. Along with many of our guests we stayed for three days and were blown away with the friendliness of all staff and indeed the sheer professionalism we were treated to. From both Susan and I – ‘Thank you.’

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank PaddyGallagher
Reviewed 22 October 2012 via mobile

When on business in Jersey I usually stay in St Helier but tried this hotel for a change. It's in a beautiful location - St Brelade's Bay is probably the best beach on Jersey.

The hotel has recently been refurbished to a high standard & also boasts a DW Health Club at the rear. With its well-equipped gym & 20 metre pool it's probably the best facility I've ever experienced at a hotel.

I stayed 4 nights but only ate in the restaurant once in the evening. A very high quality meal with excellent service although I did find the bar & restaurant rather lacking in atmosphere & a bit like a doctor's waiting room. Only a small point but it may put off outside visitors wishing to dine there. The breakfasts were very good.

Most of the residents were "rather senior". It's obviously a hotel for affluent retired people to enjoy a nice break. The staff were very helpful & polite (with the exception of reception). Where it was an issue for me on business was the wi-fi in the room was very weak & totally broke down for 50% of my stay. Unfortunately this is hopeless for a person in my position. I also met some colleagues in St Helier one night & returned by taxi at 11.30pm to find the place locked up & all the lights out.

Overall, a lovely hotel in a great location. However, if they want to tap into the business market they'll have to review their procedures and what they offer to the business traveller.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 14 October 2012

We went in Oct 12 and during the middle of the week it was a bit like an elephants graveyard. Rooms o k, good sea view, good breakfast, nice pool and gym. Great sea air!
Very formal and polite staff when you get allocated tables at breakfast. Would revisit , no probs. great local restaurants.

Room Tip: try laterooms.com
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ant_walton
Reviewed 1 October 2012

Stayed at the hotel may this year,on a KGB deal had a fantastic time. The hotel itself is second to none,starting with the staff very helpful and obliging. The rooms are spacious and furnished to a very high standard all provided with l'occitane.products for all you ladies . The food is excellent Location good and the new gym/spa are a bonus. Already booked a second vist next year and look forward to returning.

Room Tip: You can pay to upgrade to a sea view or balcony but the standard rooms are More than adequate even t...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 October 2012

We went to a wedding at this hotel and the food we had was fantastic (vegetable wellington and baileys iced parfait - heaven). So we decided to go again for afternoon lunch. The food was so good at the wedding that I called up and asked if the chef would be able to make the same course I'd had at the wedding, which he very kindly did. Again the food was fantastic, the price very reasonable and to top it all off, the setting in St Brelades bay is priceless - the hotel over looks the beach, just lovely. I will definitely be returning and would just like to pass my compliments to the chef - thank you

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Radisson Blu Waterfront Hotel, Jersey
Longueville Manor
Longueville Manor
#1 of 5 in StSaviour

Been to St. Brelades Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!