“A good choice in St Helier”
Review of De L'etang

De L'etang
Ranked #1 of 20 St Helier B&B and Inns
Denmark
“A good choice in St Helier”
Reviewed 7 March 2012

I spent 4 nights at the De Létang at the beginning of March 2012.

This hotel is rated 3 stars. The owners are extremely polite, the breakfast is good, the room and bathroom were very, very clean and, finally the bed was comfortable. There is a little bar where we spent some time cosy time in the evening.

De L'etang's location is about 10-12 minutes walk to the city center.

In the cons department I'll mention that you won't find coffee or tea in your room so remember to take some with you. Maybe I could mention too, that the room has some 70's feeling as other reviewer mentioned elsewhere.

We were looking for a hotel with sea view but we really didn't want to pay the price that other hotels (fairly enough with more stars) in St Helier were asking for. So it was a big surprise to see that room 15 with sea view and own balcony cost 60 £ per room per night.

So all in all I think we got extremely good value for money: wake up with that nice view and you will understand!

This is not the Four Seasons but it has its heart in the right place!

Room Tip: Remember: room 15 if sea view is your priority!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Oscar L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2011

I stayed at De L'Etang for a family wedding. The owners were really welcoming and went to a lot of trouble to make sure everybody was comfortable. We ate in their restaurant once, where the food was super. Though my room at the front was clean and spacious, the noise on my first night was awful as I had to be up early the next morning. There was a party in the bar and I had to turn up my tv to try and relax and then eventually resorted to putting in my flight earplugs to get some sleep! I don't understand early check out times. Everywhere I have travelled abroad checkout is midday so 10 am seems pretty early to me though we were allowed to put our belongings in the lounge for a couple of hours. The view of the bay from my window was beautiful. My daughter and her partner, who had a room a the back, were woken early one morning by people arguing in the kitchen below but fortunately they thought it was quite funny.

Room Tip: The front room/s have a lovely view of the bay.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank linH400
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2011

Our short trip to Jersey on my wife,s retirement took us quite by chance to this friendly hotel overlooking the outoor pool at Havre de pas, where we were well looked after by the owners John & Rebecca. John, who is from Pathos in Cyprus,( which by coincidence is where we go in three weeks,) ran the kitchen and gave us the best breakfasts on the island, while Rebecca ran the cosy bar which was full of regulars who have been holidaying there for many years. Everyone made us feel welcome including the rest of the staff,which meant we had a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
10 Thank ericjud
Boston
Reviewed 14 March 2010

I booked a surprise trip to Jersey for our 36th wedding aniversary. I only wanted something cheap because I knew the weather could be a bit dodgy. I had visions of dodgy weather and dodgy guest house. I was half right, the weather was bloody freezing. The guest house though was just the job.
John and Rebecca made great hosts and nothing was too much trouble. The rooms were basic but very clean, the bed was made every day.
The breakfast was nice and set us up for the day, but an extra tea bag in the pot would of been nice, but if I had asked i am sure we would have got one.
We had a nice view of the sea from our room and did not find the road noisy, but we did have the windows shut. I would have no hesitation in booking this guest house again if I went back to jersey. The bar was well stocked and we made a friend in Brian a local drinking buddy. Mick and Gill Spillane

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
16 Thank studs18
essex,uk
Reviewed 23 September 2009

this place,like so many in jersey seemed to have reviews very negative,which put me off before i went,but to no avail.The place was clean,excellent varying full english breakfast
well cooked by john,and plenty of it.It set me up for the day,he seemed to do so much in the guest house and was always cheery and good with the customers,his wife seemed to stay out of it,but this place doesent deserve any critism excellent value for money and well run,i would definately return,and so many returning time and time again.the road outside is preety busy and you can hear people late at night sometimes if your facing the road.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
11 Thank czex
south west
Reviewed 17 August 2009

I was more than a little worried about this hotel as I booked it before I read any reviews. I needn't have worried though. Considering the low price, this is a lovely hotel. We had the room at the front of the hotel with a balcony overlooking the beach so that was really good and didn't cost too much extra in my opinion.
I found the owners and all the staff very helpful and accommodating and the breakfasts, though not huge, were well cooked.
The bar is very popular and I agree with others who say this hotel seems to get a lot of repeat guests of the older generation but that was fine with us.
I have two gripes to make about the hotel - firstly, our towels still hadn't been changed by day 3 despite us leaving them on the floor of the shower as a hint. Still we asked the staff and they were changed straight away, no hassle. My second gripe is that there is a kettle in the room but they don't supply tea bags, sugar, milk etc. Thought it a bit daft having a kettle in the first place. Still we popped to Spar and stocked up so that was ok.
Would I stay there again? Yes, because it's really good value for money.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank trippiehaze
belfast
Reviewed 5 August 2009

Have just stayed at the hotel for the first time and would just like to say that the owners and the staff made our stay a very enjoyable stay, have never been to Jersey but Rebecca helped us to sort out our sightseeing trips, the food was lovely both the breakfasts and the evening meals really good porportions and the staff always had a friendly smile and took the time to chat with us, really enjoyed our stay here and will definitly be going back again, in other reviews read about the cleanliness, we had clean fresh towels every day and our bed was made and the bins emptied and ensuite cleaned every day. The decor is a bit on the 70's side but who cares its the people who make or break your holiday.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple