“Great place to stay”
Review of De L'etang

De L'etang
Ranked #1 of 21 St Helier B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 July 2012

We were only there a couple of nights. The location and cost decided my booking. A very good choice. The staff were friendly and helpful. The view from our window was what being at the seaside should be. The 60s songs in the bar on Friday night were great fun, a bit of a sing along and a dance. The room was what was needed for stay, comfy bed, clean linen and a shower. As for being no tea and coffee in the room, didn't even realise it until we were checking out, after all who needs tea and coffee when you are on holiday? Saturday night we let ourselves back in with no problem well after midnight. I would certainly go back if I'm ever in Jersey again. The 70s décor has been mentioned in reviews. I was really looking forward to it and slightly disappointed it wasn't as 70s as I'd come to expect (no avocado sinks in sight). To me it was 'normal', but that may be my age!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank J0444

Reviewed 30 May 2012

Our first visit to Jersey and what a stay! 3 days at The De L'Etang but could easily have been 3 weeks. 5 Star welcome and service. Lots of laughs and excellent food all at 3 star prices. John & Rebecca (owners) plus all the staff made our Jersey visit brilliant. Staying at The De L'Etang is a must and we can't wait to go back. ~ Geoff & Ann Southend-on-Sea, Essex England

Room Tip: Don't look around, just book The De L'Etang
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Geoff G
Reviewed 4 April 2012

I chose De L'etang from the internet as position and price. I was concerned that all would be exact, as it was to be a Surprise 30th Anniversary Present for my wife. I need not have worried. The Hotel was absolutely "spot-on" We were met by Rebecca (Owner) and instantly made at "home" The Hotel is a family run place. We were very impressed with the cleanliness of the room. It was well fitted out but, if you want your own "morning/afternoon-cuppa" you will have to pick some supplies yourself. Later we met John; Owner and SUPER COOK !!!! Breakfast was a MEAL to last the day !!! Good choice and plenty of it. I booked B&B so that we would not be "locked-into" meals that may not have been up to standard. Should have NEVER feared. The evening meals; (we had six of them!!); were spot-on !!! Again, lots of choice, well cooked, (not wishy-washy veg:) and good value for money. To round the night off, we spent in the small friendly bar. We met some really lovely "local-people" there who used the bar, as a regular haunt. As we had driven up from the south of Spain, they were MORE than intrigued by our adventures !!! All in all, Our 30th Anniversary was made VERY SPECIAL by the owners. Many thanks to Both.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank LosRomanesJohn
Reviewed 7 March 2012

I spent 4 nights at the De Létang at the beginning of March 2012.

This hotel is rated 3 stars. The owners are extremely polite, the breakfast is good, the room and bathroom were very, very clean and, finally the bed was comfortable. There is a little bar where we spent some time cosy time in the evening.

De L'etang's location is about 10-12 minutes walk to the city center.

In the cons department I'll mention that you won't find coffee or tea in your room so remember to take some with you. Maybe I could mention too, that the room has some 70's feeling as other reviewer mentioned elsewhere.

We were looking for a hotel with sea view but we really didn't want to pay the price that other hotels (fairly enough with more stars) in St Helier were asking for. So it was a big surprise to see that room 15 with sea view and own balcony cost 60 £ per room per night.

So all in all I think we got extremely good value for money: wake up with that nice view and you will understand!

This is not the Four Seasons but it has its heart in the right place!

Room Tip: Remember: room 15 if sea view is your priority!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Oscar L
Reviewed 23 November 2011

I stayed at De L'Etang for a family wedding. The owners were really welcoming and went to a lot of trouble to make sure everybody was comfortable. We ate in their restaurant once, where the food was super. Though my room at the front was clean and spacious, the noise on my first night was awful as I had to be up early the next morning. There was a party in the bar and I had to turn up my tv to try and relax and then eventually resorted to putting in my flight earplugs to get some sleep! I don't understand early check out times. Everywhere I have travelled abroad checkout is midday so 10 am seems pretty early to me though we were allowed to put our belongings in the lounge for a couple of hours. The view of the bay from my window was beautiful. My daughter and her partner, who had a room a the back, were woken early one morning by people arguing in the kitchen below but fortunately they thought it was quite funny.

Room Tip: The front room/s have a lovely view of the bay.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank linH400
Reviewed 5 June 2011

Our short trip to Jersey on my wife,s retirement took us quite by chance to this friendly hotel overlooking the outoor pool at Havre de pas, where we were well looked after by the owners John & Rebecca. John, who is from Pathos in Cyprus,( which by coincidence is where we go in three weeks,) ran the kitchen and gave us the best breakfasts on the island, while Rebecca ran the cosy bar which was full of regulars who have been holidaying there for many years. Everyone made us feel welcome including the rest of the staff,which meant we had a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
10  Thank ericjud
Reviewed 14 March 2010

I booked a surprise trip to Jersey for our 36th wedding aniversary. I only wanted something cheap because I knew the weather could be a bit dodgy. I had visions of dodgy weather and dodgy guest house. I was half right, the weather was bloody freezing. The guest house though was just the job.
John and Rebecca made great hosts and nothing was too much trouble. The rooms were basic but very clean, the bed was made every day.
The breakfast was nice and set us up for the day, but an extra tea bag in the pot would of been nice, but if I had asked i am sure we would have got one.
We had a nice view of the sea from our room and did not find the road noisy, but we did have the windows shut. I would have no hesitation in booking this guest house again if I went back to jersey. The bar was well stocked and we made a friend in Brian a local drinking buddy. Mick and Gill Spillane

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
#18 of 31 in St Helier
Prince of Wales
Prince of Wales
#1 of 2 in St. Ouen

Been to De L'etang? Share your experiences!