“cracking little guest house.”
Review of De L'etang

De L'etang
Ranked #1 of 20 St Helier B&B and Inns
Boston
“cracking little guest house.”
Reviewed 14 March 2010

I booked a surprise trip to Jersey for our 36th wedding aniversary. I only wanted something cheap because I knew the weather could be a bit dodgy. I had visions of dodgy weather and dodgy guest house. I was half right, the weather was bloody freezing. The guest house though was just the job.
John and Rebecca made great hosts and nothing was too much trouble. The rooms were basic but very clean, the bed was made every day.
The breakfast was nice and set us up for the day, but an extra tea bag in the pot would of been nice, but if I had asked i am sure we would have got one.
We had a nice view of the sea from our room and did not find the road noisy, but we did have the windows shut. I would have no hesitation in booking this guest house again if I went back to jersey. The bar was well stocked and we made a friend in Brian a local drinking buddy. Mick and Gill Spillane

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
16 Thank studs18

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
essex,uk
Reviewed 23 September 2009

this place,like so many in jersey seemed to have reviews very negative,which put me off before i went,but to no avail.The place was clean,excellent varying full english breakfast
well cooked by john,and plenty of it.It set me up for the day,he seemed to do so much in the guest house and was always cheery and good with the customers,his wife seemed to stay out of it,but this place doesent deserve any critism excellent value for money and well run,i would definately return,and so many returning time and time again.the road outside is preety busy and you can hear people late at night sometimes if your facing the road.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
11 Thank czex
south west
Reviewed 17 August 2009

I was more than a little worried about this hotel as I booked it before I read any reviews. I needn't have worried though. Considering the low price, this is a lovely hotel. We had the room at the front of the hotel with a balcony overlooking the beach so that was really good and didn't cost too much extra in my opinion.
I found the owners and all the staff very helpful and accommodating and the breakfasts, though not huge, were well cooked.
The bar is very popular and I agree with others who say this hotel seems to get a lot of repeat guests of the older generation but that was fine with us.
I have two gripes to make about the hotel - firstly, our towels still hadn't been changed by day 3 despite us leaving them on the floor of the shower as a hint. Still we asked the staff and they were changed straight away, no hassle. My second gripe is that there is a kettle in the room but they don't supply tea bags, sugar, milk etc. Thought it a bit daft having a kettle in the first place. Still we popped to Spar and stocked up so that was ok.
Would I stay there again? Yes, because it's really good value for money.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank trippiehaze
belfast
Reviewed 5 August 2009

Have just stayed at the hotel for the first time and would just like to say that the owners and the staff made our stay a very enjoyable stay, have never been to Jersey but Rebecca helped us to sort out our sightseeing trips, the food was lovely both the breakfasts and the evening meals really good porportions and the staff always had a friendly smile and took the time to chat with us, really enjoyed our stay here and will definitly be going back again, in other reviews read about the cleanliness, we had clean fresh towels every day and our bed was made and the bins emptied and ensuite cleaned every day. The decor is a bit on the 70's side but who cares its the people who make or break your holiday.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank holidaygirl1952
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2009

Just returned after 3 nights at De Latang, the decor is 70s, woodchip paper, sink in the bedroom etc, the promotional ad for the guest house states sat tv, this is wrong, you just get analogue tv, the road outside is very noisy. The view from the window of our room ( number 1 ) was good, but the whole place needs serious updating The breakfast was ok, although no choice, someone asked for fruit and after a long wait an apple turned up !
We had noticed there were lots of return visitors, which i can't understand, most likely reason is the price, remember you get what you pay for !

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank soulfixins
Drogheda, Ireland
Reviewed 23 May 2009

I recently spent 5 nights in De L'Etang, and, having read the reviews here (one good, one not-so-good) I wasn't sure what to expect. My experience was a positive one, and I thought I'd share it with you.

The guest house is 10 mins walk from Liberation Square, which is very convenient for getting buses to the rest of the island or heading into St Helier. It's situated on the coast road directly across from the public outdoor sea-water pool.

The decor is a bit dated (think 1970s/80s), but the rooms were clean and comfortable, so I could forgive the decorating lapse!! I say rooms, because in my 5 nights there, I stayed in 2 rooms. For the first 2 nights, I was in a double room at the front of the property overlooking the sea. The room was spacious enough, with a wardrobe, chairs, double bed, locker, dressing table and a sink - the en-suite had a toilet and shower. The view from the room was very nice (looking out on the swimming pool), but the rooms looking out at the sea are also looking out on the street - there was some road noise, but it quietened down by midnight. The room was clean, and the daily service was efficient.

I was moved after 2 nights (I'd been told I was going to be moved from the time I arrived, so it wasn't a surprise), and I thought I'd be put into a single room - but no! I was moved to a family room at the back of the guest house. This room had a double and bunk beds. I think it would be a bit cramped if a family were in it, but there was plenty of space for me! The view wasn't as pleasant though, the small window overlooked the back yard of the guest house and adjoining properties. But again, the room was clean and everything worked.......well, nearly everything!

When I moved to the second room, I found I couldn't open the door - the lock was a bit dodgy. The landlord changed the lock the following morning, so that was sorted! Next the wall light stopped working, so the following afternoon, 2 tradesmen turned up to replace it (I happened to be in the room at the time). As they worked on the light, the TV broke down! The TV had to be replaced (it was my last night so wasn't done before I left).

I'm sure that all the faults were just bad luck, they didn't spoil my break!

The owners were very friendly and helpful, there were lots of leaflets and tourist information available in the lobby, and, while I didn't use the bar, it seemed to be a popular spot. The breakfasts were very tasty (I didn't have dinner there so can't comment).

Several of the guests staying there were repeat visitors - one couple visit Jersey twice a year and always stay at De L'etang, so they're doing something right!

The guest house doesn't have any parking facilities, so if you're hiring a car, you'll have to park some distance away. There's a public car park about 5 min walk from the guesthouse which is open 24/7 and is free evenings and Sundays (you have to use paycards outside that time). The rooms are spread over 2 floors (none on ground floor) with no lift, so people with restricted mobility may find the stairs difficult.

Jersey itself has a laidback "other time" feel about it (that's not to say it's backward in any way, just a slower pace of life), and De l'Etang fits in very well with the island feeling.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo
9 Thank gipi
boro
Reviewed 29 September 2008

We stayed in St Helier (Havre De Pas) area at The DeLetang.We were greeted by John with a free drink, a great start to our holiday. Our room overlooked the outdoor sea swimming pool.{only pool to be cleaned twice a day!} The rooms were cosy and clean. The breakfasts were very good and the restaurant evening meals were excellent, people staying around elsewhere all came for evening meals, they really are excellent, especially the T Bone steak and trimmings, its enormous. The place is having a few updates with fittings and furnishings which we agree needs it. People have been returning to stay again and again, for the last few years. We have already booked again for next year.
Borobrie

• Liked — the great staff and owners and location
  • Disliked — needs upgrades to beds
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family