“Don't book this hotel on others advice!”
Review of Mountview

Mountview
Ranked #21 of 32 Hotels in St Helier
Warwickshire, England
“Don't book this hotel on others advice!”
Reviewed 4 September 2009

Having read good reports on this hotel, and visitors said it should be more than its current 2 stars I went with my daughter for a 5 day break. My first impression from the outside was shabby and could do with a face life from its current pale blue paint. We were situated on the top floor, getting in the lift I noted it could have done with a good clean! My first impression of our room was not good, although only a 2* I expect a good degree of cleanliness, the carpets were dirty, with stains, and no attempt had been made to clean/hide them. The curtains were dirty with greasy marks, and the windows and surrounds could have done with a clean. There were plain white duvets on that looked clean enough but floral/patterned ones would have looked more welcoming. There was no hot water on the first night, I saw a member of staff who obviously was dealing with a lot of complaints and said it was the boiler. Next morning after another cold shower, I saw the manageress who said it was the gas pipes in the resort and would be fixed. It was, but for the rest of the stay it was inconsistent and the water pressure at times resembled a trickle. There were no homely touches around the hotel, no flowers, no tablecloths and the breakfast was basic, cereal in big bowls with plastic scoops. No menu to look at ,so you were basically asked what you required,. I had a different breakfast every monring, ie, beans on toast, egg etc but food was of poor quality.One morning I asked for bacon and tomatoes and got 1 rasher of bacon and 1 cooked tomato! Looking at the visitors book in reception I felt I was in the wrong hotel, or perhaps it was just my room or me being fussy. The staff were friendly however, and I should have complained but like a lot of Englishmen put up with it! On the positive side was Jersey, beautiful place, beaches, things to do, but will not be returning to this establishment.

• Stayed September 2009
1 Thank Galaxy1233

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
La Orotava, Spain
Reviewed 16 August 2009

We have stayed here on 2 occasions in November 2008 and 2007 for a short 5 day stay. One of the cheapest hotels low season and well worth the money. Given a free upgrade toa balcony room second visit (so we could smoke - Jersey is now all no smoking by law) Clean, good breakfast, nice bathrooms with plenty of hot water. Easy to get into town - town center about 1500 meters walk. Managed to park OK on each of the 10 nights we have stayed at this hotel.

Staff are vey pleasant. Overall a good budget choice for those looking for just a room rather than facilities. Much better than the usual standard of room in Jersey 2 star hotels.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
Wrexham
Reviewed 10 August 2009

I booked a three-night stay in The Mountview Hotel, St. Helier, Jersey as a birthday gift for my boyfriend. I'd booked a room with a balcony beforehand. We arrived at the hotel, which was fairly easy to find, and booked in at reception with the lady owner who was friendly and helpful. I'd sent a (moonpig) birthday card ahead of our arrival and they'd kept it safely for us. Our room was lovely; clean, tidy and a great view out across St. Helier. The breakfast each morning was spot on and the staff were very efficient and well mannered. There was plenty of information there to help us during our stay and all-in-all we had a wonderful time. If I was visiting Jersey again, I wouldn't hesitate to stay there a second time.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mrssthomas
Bishop Auckland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2009

We arrived early and were made very welcome and given access to our room instantly.
The room was average in size, clean, with lots of storage space.
All staff were very friendly and helpful throughout our stay (1 Week).
There is limited parking - about six cars depending on the size, but we had no problem, and there is public parking about 5 minutes walk down the road which is free between 5pm and 8am.
The breakfast was good with plenty of choice.
Bar meals were available every evening except Saturday night - these were more than adequate.
We will certainly return to this friendly little hotel.
John & Pauline 4 - 11 July 2009

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Bournemouth
Reviewed 21 May 2009

Had booked a twin room for a 2 night stay and were shown to a very small double room with an extra single bed, leaving virtually no space. The room was grubby, the bed linen marked and a pillowcase ripped. It took a while but we were eventually upgraded to a balcony suite, twin room, single room, bathroom and separate toilet. We decided to stay an extra 2 days and the management were happy to let us keep the same room at the original rate.

The staff were excellent, very friendly and helpful, breakfast was fantastic, rooms a little basic, but adequate.

Unfortunately cleaning standards are a little minimal. In the course of a 5 day stay, beds were only changed once and we had to ask for clean towels. The floor wasn't vacuumed at all, neither was the bathroom cleaned. We were only provided with 2 very small bath towels and handtowels.

Anyone intending visiting this hotel should be made aware that it is on a fairly steep hill, fine on the way down, but anyone not 100% fit would find it difficult to get back up again. and parking is very limited (only 4 or 5 very tight spaces). This can cause other residents to block you in, with resultant delays while the car owner is found and asked to move their car.

The website through which we booked the hotel stated they it had smoking rooms - the hotel does, however operate a non-smoking policy, although we were given permission to smoke on the balcony.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
DaveW2007
Reviewed 8 May 2009

If you like.....cold showers, uncomfortable beds, lack of facilities, then this is the perfect place for you. Unfortunately I prefer silly things like hot water!!!

• Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank DaveW2007
Leicester
Reviewed 2 May 2009

I enjoyed my stay at Mountview very much, the rooms were clean and very nice, the staff were friendly and very helpfull, and the food was most enjoyable. I would certainly recommend you to anyone who is coming to Jersey. Thanks to you all for making me a very pleasant one

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo
#25 of 32 in St Helier
The Inn Boutique
The Inn Boutique
#3 of 32 in St Helier

Been to Mountview? Share your experiences!