“Good value hotel”

Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in St Helier
Sale UK
“Good value hotel”
Reviewed 31 October 2012

Just returned from a 3 night stay at the Savoy in Jersey. Fabulous hotel, super staff and award winning breakfasts. Good honest value for money. Haven't marked the hotel as a 5 as we did not dine in the evening as there was the opportunity to share Tennerfest and chose to eat in a local pub The Adelphi - so good we returned each of the 3 evenings. We would have eaten in the hotel had they participated in the Tennerfest. Pool also was closed as it is now the winter season......looked very inviting though.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 95 which overlooked the pool. Would definitely stay at the Savoy the next time we...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
SavoyBusinessTeam, General Manager at The Savoy Jersey, responded to this review, 7 November 2012
Dear Gaynor B,

Thank you for your comments on Tripadvisor with regards to your recent stay at The Savoy Jersey.

It sounds like you had a nice stay, I am glad to hear you found the hotel to be of an excellent standard and perhaps next year we will consider taking part in the Tennerfest festive.

Thank you again for your feedback and I hope we will see you soon again.

Tim Brooke

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
Guernsey
Reviewed 31 October 2012

Breakfast - English breakfast was amazing and selection of other items for breakfast. Service was not so good - the waiter just asked for room number then wandered off, when i asked him if there was actually a table for 3 anywhere he just walked off and we had to set our own table up as there were only tables of 2 available. The yoghurts and milk were warm as they were not in a refrigerated area or even in an ice bucket as in most other hotels we have stayed in-this has got to give some people a dodgy stomach, as I am pregnant I steered clear of them.

Service-I asked for some hot milk to be sent to the room one evening and got told to go to the bar and get some.
Arrival and departure service was really good and taken to our room etc - this was done by the same lady who was good on customer service.

Not so hot on local area - I asked where we can go with kids, and got told Pizza Express have a play area which they don't, also asked where Pirate Pete's was in Portlet again, he didn't have a clue! A bit of local knowledge would be helpful.

Fire Door by our room the hydraulics were obviously broken and never been fixed this slammed all of the time and woke us several times in the night although we were at the far end of the corridor.

Room - The room it self we were really happy with it was modern and spacious especially having a separate adjoining room for our son. The shower was terrible and I couln't wash my hair in it as the pressure was awful more like a dribble so when we went to the AquaDome on the last day I washed my hair there.

Iron and Ironing board in the room which is good and TV in both rooms.

Kettle - after waiting around in the bar for hot milk, we got to the room and went to fill the kettle up - it had brown water in the bottom and I looked inside and the element was completely rusted, I phoned downstairs and a replacement was brought up by which time our milk was cold for the hot chocolates but we used it anyway. Aero hot chocolate was lovely.

Reception and bar area were really nice and we didn't eat in the restaurant as my son is 4 and he would probably be too loud as it looked quiet, but the menu looked good.

I would say overall our stay was good value for money, was satisfactory and we would consider staying again however I feel that these little things could have been avoided and was more like a 3 star than 4 in some aspects but not in others.

Room Tip: the family rooms are really spacious as they give you a double and a twin where as a lot of hotels j...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Dear GemgemsGuernsey,

I note that overall you had an enjoyable stay and that you would return. Your other positive comments about the hotel are noted. However it is with regret that you found some of the area of service poor, I can confirm that your disappointment to the service has been discussed personally with the Restaurant Manager to ensure incident of this nature do not occur again in the future.

I would like to take this opportunity to sincerely apologies for the poor impression you have received of the restaurant on this occasion. All the staff at The Savoy Jersey are constantly striving to maintain the high standards of service and presentation which are required of them and I very much regret that we failed to live up to expectations on this occasion.

I hope that sometime in the near future we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel. Perhaps at that time you can contact me personally to make the necessary arrangements.

Bridgend, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2012

Booked this hotel on a fantastic offer, on arrival received our room keys only to find the room already ocupied. No assistance with luggage yet in the hotel questionnaire one is asked how one found the hotel porter.
With the tenerfest events being held in most restaurants and a hotel with a good write up for their restaurant how can they not want to compete with other local restaurants, during our stay when returning to the hotel we found the bar closed.
Generally the breakfast was good and the rooms good.
Would we stay there again Yes.

Dear Coity11,

Thank you for your feedback on Tripadvisor with regards to your recent stay at The Savoy Jersey.
In general sounds like you gad a good stay, I am pleased to hear that you would stay with us again and you liked the breakfast and your room.
I am sorry for the shortfall with regards to porter service, your comments will be reviewed with my team and we all looking forward to welcoming you soon again.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 October 2012

Cannot fault the reception/welcome we received upon arrival at the Savoy Hotel. Our flight was cancelled due to fog so we had to contact the hotel to see if we could change our original booking from Monday & Tuesday night to Tuesday & Wednesday night. The hotel were great with this request and very understanding and changed our reservation free of charge.

Room was warm and comfortable and we were informed of all the relevant information we needed. Complimentary parking is available infront of the hotel for guests which was a great addition because in St Helier most parking is chargeable.

Considering the hotel was on a main road and our room overlooked it, it was very quiet and soundproofed. The hotel itself was very quiet and had a nice friendly atmosphere from the minute you walked in. Newspapers were provided each morning along with a local news/hotel newsletter.

Breakfast was lovely, hot drinks and cooked breakfast was ordered through a waiter with special requests, a selection of cereals, breads, fruits & juices were available. Staff were friendly and helpful in the breakfast room, plates were cleared when they were finished with and there were no dirty tables left around the room.

The only downfall of the room (room 36) was the TV position. This was on the wall but was blocked by the bathroom wall, so from the left side of bed you could only see the right half of the TV. However, the hotel was only used as a base for us so this didnt effect our trip too much.

Dear Jessica J90,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor with regards to your recent stay at The Savoy Jersey.
I am delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable stay and found the hotel facilities and service to be of an excellent standard.
Your comments will be passed to my team and we are all looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Sheffield, Australia
Reviewed 22 October 2012

Stayed here at short notice for 2 nights whilst on business on Jersey. Has to have been the best value for money in any hotel I've encountered all year. Lovely room, stylish, modern, well appointed. Relaxing, nicely decorated bar, decent food. Thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Stephen H
SavoyBusinessTeam, General Manager at The Savoy Jersey, responded to this review, 27 October 2012
Dear Stephen H,

I am delighted to hear you had an enjoyable stay and you found us to be good value for money. Thank you for recommending us, your comments will be passed to my team and we are all looking forward to welcoming you back at The Savoy Jersey again soon.

Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 October 2012

On arrival Reception (and in fact the whole ground floor) seemed deserted. After a longish wait we were eventually checked into a room which, whilst very clean was also quite dated. It had a faintly musty smell, the old fashioned wallpaper seemed to be bulging from the wall in one area but the bathroom was OK. Had the reservation been for more than one night I wouldn't have stayed.
The public areas of the hotel, in contrast, are quite smart having obviously been renovated fairly recently. Perhaps other rooms are better, but as the receptionist volunteered the information that they had plenty of availability I really don't know why this room was used at all.
At breakfast, despite only a few tables being occupied, no-one seemed to notice our arrival and we eventually had to request that our order was taken. The cooked food was fine, but the cold buffet a little sparce.
The staff we encountered were pleasant but seemed poorly managed.

Dear PWDW106,

Thank you for your comments on Tripadvisor with regards to your recent stay at The Savoy Hotel.
I am sorry to hear we did not meet your expectations for which I do sincerely apologise. Your feedback will be reviewed with the hotel team.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2012

Unfortunately this hotel does not live up to any 4 star standards expected apart from their restaurant (which is amazing)!
Unfortunately numerous things added up lead to my partner and I feeling really underwhelmed with our stay.
On arrival and departure we had no help with our luggage, our room was very cold and we were advised that the central heating is not turned on in the building until later in the year so we were supplied with an electric heater. The bathroom also did not have any heating and the shower had terrible water pressure. A window in our room wouldn't close properly leaving a draft and whistling of wind and in general our room was very unimpressive with paint peeling from the ceiling... On the plus side the bed was comfy!

1 Thank Jali2012
SavoyBusinessTeam, General Manager at The Savoy Jersey, responded to this review, 20 October 2012
Dear Jail2012,
I am sorry to hear you are unsatisfied with your stay at the hotel. I would like to take this opportunity to sincerely apologise for the poor impression you have received during your stay. All the staff at The Savoy Hotel are constantly striving to maintain the high standards of service and presentation, which are required of them and I very much regret that we failed to live up to your expectations on this occasion.