“Enjoyable stay”

Best Western Royal Hotel
Ranked #9 of 31 Hotels in St Helier
Reviewed 29 July 2013

stayed for a few days in July, we were not lucky enough to have one of the big rooms at the back leading onto the terrace, however this did not detract from our enjoyable stay. Our room was comfortable and very clean as is the whole hotel. The staff are very pleasant and helpful, Daniela you are a little ray of sunshine in the breakfast room. Breakfast was of a very high standard and plenty of it. My only little niggle is the menu in the bedroom for room service and bar snacks listed dishes containing anchovies and dishes served with worcestershire sauce (which contains anchovies) as suitable for vegetarians (pescatarians eat fish not vegetarians) this issue notwithstanding I enjoyed my stay here and would stay again if visiting the beautiful island of Jersey.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back leading onto the terrace.
1  Thank KBSH_12

Reviewed 29 July 2013 via mobile

Lovely clean room and hotel, huge airy bathroom again very clean but shower pressure was not strong. No air con in the rooms so windows need to be open in warm weather leading to the inevitable sleep disruption from outside noise. Like many Best Westerns this hotel is individual and has character but unfortunately this means a maze of corridors,signs and steps to find your room. If you have heavy bags ask for a porter. One was not offered to us. Reception did ring to see if we made it though, as I suspect guests get lost. There is a restaurant and a nice bar offering bar food and a big tv. Breakfast does let this hotel down - queues to be shown to tables, long wait for cold toast, limited choice. No fried eggs but of course they will cook them specially, however more wait is therefore needed. Scrambled eggs could be stirred, literally. Poor sausages, I suggest the hotel looks again at what is an important part of any stay.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Davros S
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a week in July. The hotel is one of the oldest in Jersey but has been adapted very well. The staff were, without exception, friendly and courteous, the food was very good (we eat in the bar a couple of times but didn't use the restaurant in the evening).
Now when I booked this hotel in early June the weather was awful and air-conditioning wasn't very high on my list of priorities (free wi-fi was, and it is very good and pretty quick). Of course, we arrived in the middle of a heatwave and the lack of air-conditioning in the bedrooms was a big problem for all of the guests. The staff did what they could by proving fans but our room was tropical most of the time. It didn't spoil our holiday at all but you might want to bear this in mind.
Would we go back? - well yes we would in Winter, Spring or Autumn. But I'm afraid in the height of Summer we would use the Radisson.

1  Thank slipalong10
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Well what can I say about this fantastic Hotel, it was most certainly the BEST, everyone from the reception, bar, dining waiters/waitresses and cleaners, all do a fantastic job!!! They welcomed us as soon as we arrived, insisting of carrying a bag to help us in!! Food fantastic too, good English Breakfast consisting of fruit juice, orange apple or grapefruit, tea or coffee, toast, eggs available on order, bacon, tomatoes, sausages, ash browns, mushrooms, scrambled eggs and baked beans or if you prefer a lighter breakfast, cereals, porridge, fruit, cheese, meats etct!!! The bar snacks will not disappoint you either!!! All good value for money!! The room we had looked out onto the terrace which we used most evenings to plan our next day out.....We will definitely be going back again .......loved it!!

Room Tip: If you like a quite room, ask or request a room looking onto the terrace!!!
Reviewed 19 July 2013

If you are a female away on business some hotels can make you feel uncomfortable. Not this one. The staff are first grade, they made me feel very welcome and I didn't feel at all intimidated, lonely and out of place which as a single female on business I have experienced at other hotels .
The décor is rather old fashioned but everything is nice and clean and the room was a nice size with a very comfy bed.
The food was good with a lovely meal in the evening followed by a fantastic breakfast the next morning all served with a smile. Nothing it seemed was too much trouble.
I will be staying at this hotel again next time I'm in Jersey

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter and some rooms on the first floor lead directly out on to the sun terr...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Tigger299
Reviewed 18 July 2013

just returned from a 3 night stay here. The room was beautiful, very big with a massive bath and four poster bed, and with a door leading out onto the sun terrace. The staff were fantastic, everybody was so friendly, helpful and genuinely so. Ate in the dining room one evening and had a lovely meal, breakfasts were also excellent. Cannot fault anything at all, from emailing the reservations (Jamie) prior to trip for information to leaving the service was excellent.

Will definitely be returning next year!

2  Thank nicolajohn
Reviewed 18 July 2013

The staff are friendly here, I know the manager(s) are pro active on Tripadvisor but I can't lie, this hotel is not great for business users.

Since my last visit the decor seems to be unchanged, dated.

The beds (in the rooms I've had so far) are up against the wall that runs with the corridor so you hear everyone thundering along the creaky wooden floorboards.

They have tiny plastic cups, I'd much rather have a glass, especially as it would be nice to see the hotel being more environmentally friendly.

There is parking but when I got there there were none free. Not the hotel's fault but a pain when you're in a rush to get to meetings etc.

I dialled 0 for reception to arrange an alarm call and desipte repeatedly calling there was no answer, so clearly the reception isn't always manned. It was the evening so I guess it was the night porter.

It's in a handy location for St Helier but EVERY night I have stayed there I have had a terrible night's sleep which has impacted on my ability at work the following day.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business