“Overpriced, over heated in desperate need of an upgrade”
Review of Ommaroo Hotel

Ommaroo Hotel
Ranked #19 of 32 Hotels in St Helier
Guernsey
“Overpriced, over heated in desperate need of an upgrade”
Reviewed 9 September 2009

We booked the hotel by telephone as we wanted somewhere that was suitable for a small baby and were assured that the hotel would be fine. On arrival we had to carry our bags and all our baby related paraphenalia up the steps from the car park where we were checked in by a friendly and polite member of staff. A porter had to help us carry our stuff up the stairs and through about four doors to our poorly decorated bedroom, which was unbearably hot (27 degrees+), we complained and so were given a small electric fan. The beds were comfy but the room looks very dated and in need of a revamp. It took a towel and two hands to turn the hot tap on (it had been done up REALLY tight as it dripped!) and the bath was covered in green marks. The shower was all but useles, with water just dribbling out.
I like to give credit where it is due, and the breakfast was very good, with polite, friendly and attentive staff who took the time to sort out a high chair for our baby and spent some time talking to us.
Unfortunatley things got worse on our second night as the "entertainment" went on until 11pm and we were unable to pull our windows as the room was still like a sauna.
The hotel is in a great location with brilliant staff, however the lack of amenities and the standard of the rooms lets it down in a big way.

On a seperate note - the Atlantique restaurant in St Helier (by the cow statues) was brilliant and really good value!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank theosaurus

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
traveling cat
Reviewed 3 September 2009

Really did like this hotel. It has a nice quality about it and is in such a nice setting. The room I had was quite good. I had not paid extra to get a balcony or an ocean view so the only marring factor was my room was close to the parking lot so people leaving the entertainment at night stood outside my room to chat. Not the hotels fault. Otherwise, I was quite happy with this choice and the staff were all great, except one guy who reminded me very much of Manuel of Fawlty Towers. good for a laugh.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank carpefeline
Doncaster
Reviewed 28 August 2009

Overall an excellent hotel where we could not find fault during our stay. Fantastic location across the road from the beach & lido. Large free car park. Friendly & helpful staff throughout the hotel. Excellent 4 course meal every evening, the food was lovely & the choice was fantastic. The buffet breakfast was also tasty. Our large family room was more than adequate for our needs.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Ommaroo & would recommend it to other travellers. We hope to return next year.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank D0nnylad
norfolk
Reviewed 26 August 2009

Yes this hotel is dated but doesn't everyone want to go back to their halceon days! Staff very helpful and friendly, very good choice of food more than enough in fact, particularly buffet fried breakfasts. The hotel is heavily carpeted, floors do creak (so would I being that old) and spotlessly clean, maids everywhere cleaning bannister rails, steps, doors, windows, table the list is endless. We had sea view and balcony (room 94) fantastic views across Havre de Pas bay and sea water swimming pool which disappears when high tide approaches, quite facinating and the kids love it. Option of numerous trips and the commentary is very good, the war tunnels must be seen and you cannot go to Jersey without visiting Durrell Zoo. We would definately come again (very young over 60's)

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Norfolklivewire
Dorset
Reviewed 15 August 2009

Well...originally coming from Jersey and going back to visit family I knew when I booked the Ommaroo, at the last minute (it was all that was available during Battle of Flowers week), that it was a very dated hotel, however I felt optimistim as I knew the location was good and it has plenty of parking (which is very tricky to find close to the town centre).

Despite preparing myself for a run down hotel I was still very disappointed. The reception area and conservatory are of a satisfactory condition and have been recently done up however when you leave the reception area and venture upstairs to the room you realise just how long it has been since the hotel has been decorated. The carpet was threadbare; the running water was a joke; the bed was not a double; the windows were filthy; the brown blankets on the bed were grubby; the television reception was fuzzy and the cherry on the cake for me was that some (not all) the staff were rude, I think I particularly wound up one receptionist who was interrupted from watching a clip on UTube when I asked for my room key.

The hotel is desperatly in need or a revamp, not just the rooms, the bar and dining room aswell. I felt sorry for some of the staff as I lost count of the amount of guests I heard complaining about little things, such as bathrooms fans not working and taps being too hot etc. However despite my rant there are people who seem to go there year after year after year however I have noticed that all these people seem to be 60+, maybe I am part of the youth today who just expect too much.

I'm not really one to complain, especially as I kind of knew what I was going to get, however I would rather camp in my gran's garden next time I visit Jersey than stay in this hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Wirral
Reviewed 8 July 2009

We stayed at the Ommaroo for 5 nights in June. We paid a bit extra for a sea view and balcony and were not disappointed.We stayed in room 59 which had recently been changed from a family room to a double, It is one of the best hotel rooms we have ever stayed in. The hotel itself is a bit dated but is very clean and the staff are very helpful. The breakfast was a pleasure with everything you could hope for, we took the half board option and if I am honest it was good food without being special .If the weather is in your favour the garden is a great spot to relax after a day's sightseeing.We would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to couples and groups, looked a little limited for children but then the beach is across the road and they don't spend much time indoors anyway. All in all a really great 5 days and we would return no problem.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Biggary42
Cheshire
Reviewed 2 July 2009

Our rooms where newly decorated and very clean, the staff, friendly and helpful. word of advice. Dont do the evening meal.4courses. Starter was OK one night Salad with Mozerrella drizzled with olive oil was not mozerrella and no oil. same night Fish, mine was not cooked, my friend had hers cooked to a mush,complained to manager and we were offered 2 rounds of drinks. Final night ate at the Roseville bistro nearby.. Fabulous food, worth every penny.
As a B&B its fine and would recommend it but not for half board.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends