“good value lunch”
Review of Ormer

Ormer
Reserve with OpenTable
Ormer is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #27 of 229 Restaurants in St Helier
Price range: US$25 - US$73
Cuisines: French, British
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Ormer by celebrity chef Shaun Rankin is a sophisticated and welcoming Michelin starred restaurant and bar in Jersey, Channel Islands. The venue is designed by one of London's leading interior designers Martin Brudnizki and the menus are beautifully crafted by renowned chef Shaun Rankin. The ground floor houses a 50 cover restaurant, bar and 20 cover terrace for dining al fresco. The second floor delivers a stunning private dining room and bar suitable for special occasions and corporate hire. A real secret gem is the overgrown roof garden and cigar terrace.
Reviewed 26 August 2014

I had a lunch date with my wife here last week. The 3 course lunch menu was great value and very generous . Informative staff helped with wine suggestions. The only low was the weird tira mi su I had, but apart from that everything was faultless

Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Just disappointing. Salty food, no atmosphere and generally indifferent. In comparison to other michelin star restaurants in the island this does not compare to those, or other restaurants without a star. Toilets were dirty with paper towels all over the floor.
Staff pleasant.
Still got the dreaded slow cooked duck egg on his menu..

12  Thank Diane C
Reviewed 12 August 2014

This was part of the great Michelin tour of Jersey; third time that we have been blessed with the food of this great chef, fantastic restaurant and roof bar. The food is top end ignore the reviews that are negative as you will not be disappointed we experience some of the best cook fish ever.

Restaurant
service
atmosphere
value

4  Thank t38eat
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We were looking forward to enjoying the meal at "Ormer"; having dined at the other Michelin stared restaurants in Jersey our expectations were high, regrettably we were very disappointed with the food and service provided by this establishment. The menu suggested dishes of complexity and great flavour, in reality the food was at best average and somewhat mediocre, the scallops, parmesan crust, quail egg and anchovy toast were OK but they lacked any depth of flavour and the scallops themselves were very small. My wife elected to have the lobster ravioli as her starter, she felt that the bisque, ginger coriander and black rice somewhat masked the fresh flavour of the lobster which should be the star of the dish.
For our mains I elected to have the SeaBass with roast baby fennel, marinated grapes, Pernod butter, star anise essence, again the herbs, spices and alcohol masked the fresh delicate flavour of the sea bass.
My wife chose the Turbot with pine nut crust, cauliflower salad, samphire, sea purslane which she enjoyed however, she felt disappointed that we were encouraged to order a side order of broccoli to accompany the main dishes which served no purpose other than to increase the bill by £5.00.
The sweets were not a lot better I personally had been looking forward to Shaun Rankin's Treacle Tart, when it was served I found the base to be somewhat overlooked to the point that to break it up one had to physically hit it with the spoon to achieve pieces small enough to eat comfortably. My wife's chocolate and cherry desert was OK but again nothing to get excited about.

I know it was a quiet Thursday night and the restaurant was far from busy but the service was not what I expect from an establishment of this accreditation, we felt we were rushed to decide on our dishes and then the various dishes were presented with very little time between courses, I personally found the dining experience a great disappointment, there are far better restaurants on the island of Jersey than this one.

7  Thank Chris W
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

I think it's sometimes hard to fairly judge top end restaurants as your expectations are so high.

Food was very tasty and service very professional but could have been a little more freindly.

The crab starter had some interesting flavours as u expect from a michelin star restaurant and my main of lamb was nice but just nice. For me it could have done with being a bit warmer.

I liked the layout and style of the place, got a very nice terrace upstairs with separate bars. Couldn't really comment on atmosphere as lunchtime and quiet but can imagine it's buzzing in the evening when full.

Would like to try the tasting menu but at these prices it would need to be a treat. Having also eaten at tassali and. Bohemia I'm afraid ormer comes in 3rd albeit still delivers a very good meal

1  Thank Macattack76