“Great Expectations - Only Some Fullfilled”

Grand Jersey Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 32 Hotels in St Helier
Reviewed 21 July 2013

As I traveled with a Group, I was pleasantly surprised when I heard that the agency had chosen a 5-star Hotel on the sea front. Our stay started pleasantly enough - our luggage was efficiently unloaded and distributed, the allocation of rooms was swiftly handled. To enter the Hotel was fraught with difficulties as there were some steps to manoeuvre, there was no ramp for the disabled and trolley luggage. The terrace in front of the Hotel boards not on the sea front but on a two-lane heavy traffic main road. It has too few shaded tables.

The Grand Jersey is a historic building and a protected monument. Thus, the rooms are mot uniformly shaped and fitted out. Before you move in, you do well to inspect the room allotted to you to find out whether it suits your needs. My room #308 for instance had no chest with drawers to put your Shirts and underwear. Also the way to the wash basin and bath tup was a Kind of oüsticle course with the toilet bowl in the way. Other Features were first class: an efficient air conditioning with little noise, a desk area with the sockets in the right place, free Internet by cable (foreigners do well to bring their own adaptet for their electrical plug and your own cable.) The bed is easy to get in and out and is well-sprung. In summer you may want a lighter cover, Turndown Service is standard.

One of the most positive features is the Restaurant. International cuisine with an English and Jersey touch is perfectly prepared and nicely presented. The seating is pleasant and you do not miss an old-stye table-cloth. There ist a Michelin one-star Restaurant with lomited opening times.

The weakest point is the service in this hotel. Arriving guests cannot always reckon that their luggage is handled. Complaints, I had three minor ones, had to be mentioned twice before they were attended to. The Concierge behaved like a Sergeant-Major, when you asked for a taxi, he was enquiring about your destination without conveying it to the taxi driver and about your room number without purpose. Sone of the restaurant staff, always polite, had scant command of English and forgot your orders.

Summing up, by Continental stabdards, the hotel does not deserve a 5-star Rating but should be Content with 4 stars. .

Room Tip: Try for a room on the side of the park, they are quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Grand Jersey Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 19 July 2013

Grand Jersey Hotel has very friendly and welcoming staff. Rooms are in need of refurbishment, but I do understand some rooms have now been refurbished. Breakfast is what you can expect from a luxury hotel, good service and great choice.
What is missing is business facilities, service on terrace (how can you offer a great terrace and a great view, and consistently not serve any drinks or snacks within an hour??) and a minibar in the room.

Room Tip: ask for a refurbished room (the other ones are outdated and smell funny)
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 July 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights on business. The hotel is wonderful. The room was nice and big, with great air conditioning. The Spa and Pool were again of a high standard. Breakfast had lots of choice with fast and efficient service. The front terrace had a lovely feel, with again excellent service. Overall a fantastic experience.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Yorkshiremanlufc
Eamonn E, General Manager at Grand Jersey Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2013

Dear guest,

I am delighted to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay with us recently and I shall pass your lovely comments on to the team here at Grand Jersey who are always very appreciative of complimentary feedback.

I hope to welcome you back to Grand Jersey in the near future.

Reviewed 17 July 2013

We've just returned from a a wonderful week at the Grand Jersey. It's a magnificent hotel, beautifully decorated and combining the best of tradition with modern style and facilities. We loved the terrace overlooking Elizabeth Castle, a great place to enjoy a drink, admire the view and watch the world go by. The staff were friendly, helpful and efficient, exactly what good service should be. The food was good too (especially at Tassili, the Michelin star restaurant where the tasting menu was sublime.) Pool and spa were relaxing and a wonderful treat at the end of a busy day.
Absolutely recommended!

Room Tip: We stayed in a sea view room, so there was noise from the road, but worth it for the view of the bay...

Dear guests,

Thank you for taking the time to review Grand Jersey on Tripadvisor - this is very much appreciated and your wonderful comments regarding staff and service will be passed on to the rest of the team here at Grand Jersey.

I am so pleased that you found time to experience Tassili, our Michelin star fine-dining restaurant and also relax on our newly designed terrace - perfect for these long sunny days!

I look forward to welcoming you back to Grand Jersey in the near future.

Reviewed 17 July 2013

What a fabulous weekend! I treated my husband to a weekend away for his birthday and we couldn't have asked for more. The staff at the hotel couldn't do enough for us.
Room service was second to none and the food was fabulous!
We hired push bikes from across the road and cycled to st Aubins bay where we had lovely food and wine.
The location was excellent with great restaurants around the corner and town centre a 5 min walk away.
We would recommend a trip to st brelades crab shack and a meal in st aubins Tenby pub.

Dear guest,

I am so pleased that you and your husband enjoyed your break to Jersey to celebrate his birthday - I hope that you experienced some of the beautiful weather we've been having recently!

Thank you so much for taking the time to feedback your comments from your stay and I will be sure to pass them on to the whole team here at Grand Jersey.

Reviewed 17 July 2013

My husband and I went on holiday to the Grand Jersey for a UK break and we loved most things about the hotel. We booked a suite which was lovely and gave us more accommodation - the rooms looked small hence the decision to 'go large'. I am glad we did. I noted from previous TripAdvisor feedback that some previous guests were unhappy with breakfast - we had no complaints and felt everything was as we expected it would be. The bedroom we had was decorated in muted browns and red - not shades I would have picked and it did make the rooms darkish but I am sure others would find it tasteful. Having said that the room was well supplied, there is free wifi and there are complementary goodies as you would expect in the bathroom. Also bathrobes and slippers are provided.
We ate once in the Michelin star restaurant Tassili and thought it was wonderful. The staff in this area of the hotel were accommodating and skilled in their job. The were kind, polite and helpful and made you feel welcome. It was pricey but not over the top for what we had.
The niggles? The terrace at the front of the hotel is often used for corporate functions, birthday parties or weddings so the residents are squashed in to small spaces. It seems the whole of Jersey's young working people congregate at this hotel after work for a drink or snack and this makes getting a seat even more difficult at peak times. On the Friday evening, it was really busy and my husband and I wanted a quick drink before going out for dinner. We were asked to wait in a queue for a table despite there being free tables and I was told by (I am assuming bar manager) that we would have to wait for a table like everyone else and he would not 'allow us to join' other people who had a able for two only using 2 of the seats. I was appalled at this situation - I do not expect to stay at a 5 star hotel and expect to have to queue for a seat in my own hotel bar. Even if you had had to show your room key or something this would have been ok, but really! I asked for the manager and the man who told us to queue said that he was the manager. He actually wasn't the real manager as the manager leaves a wee note in your room with a photo of himself on it, and he is Irish - this chap didn't look like the man in the photo and was English. Anyway, he gave in and allocated us a table.
The other niggle is that the hotel has no private terrace area for reading or sunbathing. We were fortunate to have brilliant weather and we would have appreciated this facility. On the subject of sunbathing, we asked for towels to take to the beach and were given them by the girls at the reception for a £10 deposit. We used this facility a couple of times but on the third occasion we were told that this facility wasn't available. We then made the chap on reception aware of previous experience and he said he didn't know about it but did go and get towels. Probably just a wee staff training issue but still, not what you expect in a 5 star hotel.
On the whole it was good and we did enjoy ourselves. All of the staff (except the bar manager) were polite and helpful, especially Susan on the Terrace. The champagne bar is lovely for a drink in the evening but for some reason the Terrace Bar shuts about 9.30pm unless they have a private function on so sadly you can't sit outside and have a coffee/brandy/glass of fizz outside after dinner. I don't know why but even if it is due to a local restriction I feel that residents should be afforded this opportunity.
Would I go back? I don't know, it is central for lots of amenities abut there are other 5 star hotels that I would go to to see what they are like.

Room Tip: Go for a beach facing (Castle facing) or park facing room.

Dear guest,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for taking the time to feedback your thoughts following your recent stay at Grand Jersey - I have to say your comments are very honest and constructive and I shall ensure that every point you have raised is looked into by the individual heads of department.

I do hope that you decide to return to Grand Jersey in the future and I am delighted that you got to sample some of our wonderful Jersey sunshine!

Reviewed 16 July 2013

We stayed at the Grand Jersey for one night this past weekend. It was, indeed, a "GRAND" weekend with the finest of everything starting with the warmest welcome on Saturday morning, friendly AND efficient staff, beautiful room, excellent spa/gym facilities and top class food. We can't recommend it highly enough. We felt so relaxed after this short break that we felt we had been away on holiday for a week.

Dear guest,

It is always such a pleasure to be able to pass on such wonderful feedback as yours to the team here at Grand Jersey and I will look forward to sharing with them your comments following your recent stay with us.

I very much look forward to seeing you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Helier
#1 of 5 in StSaviour
The Inn Boutique
The Inn Boutique
#5 of 32 in St Helier

Been to Grand Jersey Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!