“Good hotel, not so sure about location” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Grand Jersey Hotel & Spa
Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in St Helier
Wootton Bridge, United Kingdom
“Good hotel, not so sure about location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014

I spent a few nights here at the end of September 2013. The rooms are luxurious and the restaurants and food quality excellent. I also enjoyed the pool and spa - once I found them (tucked away underground).

The outside bar/bistro should have been a good place to linger. However, the hotel's set on the main road in to St Helier and is very busy day and night (although the noise didn't disturb me in my room, even though it was at the front of the hotel).

I can especially recommend their Michelin-starred restaurant. Fabulous food and very reasonably-priced wine.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Keith_rn
Eamonn E, General Manager at Grand Jersey Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review Grand Jersey - it is very much appreciated.

I'm pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to experience dining in our Michelin Star restaurant, Tassili.

I hope that you will choose to stay at Grand Jersey on your next visit to the island.

Eamonn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (565)
Devon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014

We booked this Hotel for an inexpensive Winter Break ........ and boy did we need one this winter! The flight out was only just over an hour so we were at the hotel in time for breakfast and didn't have the usual wasted day. Jersey proved to be an inspired choice ( super range of restaurants, friendly people, great buildings....... all on a 9 x 5 mile island)and the Grand was an excellent base to visit the Island having a south facing sea front position opposite sandy beaches , with a five minute walk to the Town Centre.

Our package included an upgrade to a park facing room which was a good size (king size bed, two good arm chairs) included all of the expected bits (big TV, Shower room, Dressing Gowns, coffee making facilities, etc. etc) as well as a good view of the Park and the Bay.
The staff at this hotel are very good; nothing is too much trouble and it really is service with a smile. Like the rest of Jersey the staff are a cosmopolitan mix but all speak good English and "know their stuff". It's invidious to mention anyone in particular ....... but I will. Flavio, the consierge, is worth his weight in gold; recommending & booking restaurants, organising travel, whatever is needed, he is excellent.

The food was good (it does have a Michelin starred restaurant!) and well priced (3 courses in the main restaurant was £27.50) with varied bar food in the Lounge Bar and British/Continental in the Restaurant. Even Tassili's the Michelin Starred Restaurant was reasonably priced. Our only real criticism of the Dining, in fact of the Hotel, was that the Restaurant was rather Gloomy - a combination of decor and low wattage bulbs, we thought! During the week we ate at the Ocean Restaurant at the Atlantic Hotel (the competition with its own Michelin Star!) and the light, airy Restaurant was a real contrast.

We would happily do it all again - go on give Jersey, and the Grand, a try......you won't regret it.
I haven't graded the spa as it was closed for the week for a refurb - but we're told that it is excellent.

Room Tip: Go for a park view - in room 129 you still get a sea view without the premium price.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Devon_Laddo
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review of Grand Jersey following your recent stay. It certainly sounds as though you made the most of your winter break by exploring the island and the wonderful restaurants it has to offer.

Your review of the hotel is fantastic and very much appreciated - your comments will be passed on to the whole team, especially Flavio on Concierge.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Grand Jersey in the not too distant future.

Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

My partner surprised me with a trip to Jersey as part of my birthday treat. I can honestly say that the grand Jersey is one of the best hotels that we have stayed in. The service was impeccable, the facilities were of excellent quality and the breakfast range was extensive (with the quality of the food being excellent and very fresh).

We stayed in a Park Suite (149) and this had a raised platform from the bathroom to the sleeping area - this was most impressive. The room is also located away from the main hustle and bustle of the hotel so sleeping and relaxing was no problem at all.

My partner and I both had spa treatments (and yes, the relaxation room really does look like the pictures with an assortment of treats and drinks freely available). The treatments were of excellent quality and I would highly recommend the holistic hot stone back massage, facial and head massage.

The only downside was that the pool and associated areas were closed for maintenance during our visit (my partner had not been made aware of this on booking) but the hotel were more than apologetic and supplied vouchers to access the local Aqua pool facilities for free. We did not use this facility as neither of us wanted to access a general swimming pool, but the gesture was appreciated.

It is ot often that I would say that I would go back to somewhere, but if ever we visit Jersey again we will be sure to book this hotel.

Room Tip: Room 149 - along the side of the hotel with partial see view
1 Thank Aras74
Dear guest,

Thank you for reviewing Grand Jersey following your recent stay - I appreciate you taking the time to do this.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your "surprise birthday" treat and will have no doubt left Jersey with some lasting memories of your trip!

As a five star hotel and team we are constantly striving to improve and maintain the service we provide our guests with and when it is recognised and acknowledge, it is fantastic for me to be able to report back to everyone.

I hope we will see you again in the near future.

Chepstow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

We spent a 1st class weekend at the GrandJersey-nothing was too much trouble for the attentive staff to arrange. A good selection of breakfast foods, including real leaf tea! Fresh delicious fruit was brought to our room shortly after arrival. The Champagne Lounge was welcoming on a stormy January evening. For anyone wishing to relax in style and comfort we would thoroughly recommend the Grand.

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review Grand Jersey following your recent stay.

I am delighted that you had such a wonderful stay and I shall pass your compliments on to the rest of the team - positive feedback and recognition is always gratefully received.

I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Bordon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014

My husband found a good deal for this 5* Hotel so booked it for a weekend in January but I have reviewed it as if we were paying the full price for a 5*.
We arrived early and our room was ready. Room very nice (not a good view) but didnt pay extra for that so wasnt concerned.
However our main concern was that the hotel's smoking area is immediately outside the front door of the hotel. So when you are coming in or going out of the hotel you have to go through groups of people smoking on the front steps! We encountered this on the Saturday night as we arrived back in the hotel from eating out. There was a wedding reception going on and therefore lots of people on the steps smoking. When we got inside we were unable to use the Champagne bar as this was being used for the function. (At no time were we informed that this would be the case). We were offered the quiet room to have a drink in, which we did, but not the same atmosphere as drinking in the bar which we had done on the previous night. We could also not eat in Victoria Restaurant as we had planned on the Saturday night as they moved this upstairs to another room (because of the function) and would be doing a set menu only. My husband had already planned from the menu online what he was going to have so was disappointed to find that this wasnt on the set menu therefore we ended up eating out.

We did complain about these points to the receptionist who said she would advise the Manager. To date we have heard nothing back from them.
No complaints about the staff who were very helpful.
Have stayed at 3 top hotels in St Helier before and this is bottom of our list.

1 Thank Hilary H
Eamonn E, General Manager at Grand Jersey Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Dear Hilary,

Thank you so much for reviewing your recent stay with us. I am very disappointed to learn that your experience at the Grand Jersey Hotel did not meet your expectations.

I apologise that you haven't been contacted to discuss this but if you would like to contact my PA, Charlotte Dixon at cdixon@grandjersey.com then she will be able to organise a convenient time for us to discuss your concerns.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Jersey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

I stayed for 2 nights for a business trip. On my previous trips to Jersey I stayed at the Radisson, but I fancied a change for this trip, and the Grand didn't disappoint. Excellent value for money.
Positives:
- Very friendly staff. Attentive and very obliging.
- Room quality and specification. modern, clean and smart with everything you'd need (including iron/ironing board, tea/coffee facilities etc.). The shower was very spacious. Really no complaints about the room - I slept very well on both nights.
- Location. Easy access to St Helier for business meetings, and to/from the airport. Seafront location useful for running in the mornings.
- Parking. Has parking spaces available so it's hassle-free if using a hire car.
Negatives:
- Swimming pool being refurbished. I'd made the reservation on booking.com so hadn't seen that the swimming pool was closed. This was disappointing as it was a key reason for choosing this hotel. They offered free vouchers to the nearby public pool which was a nice gesture but clearly it's not as convenient as using a hotel pool.
- Room service. I thought the £5 tray charge for room service was a bit excessive - better to charge this as a percentage of total food value.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Eamonn E, General Manager at Grand Jersey Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your review of Grand Jersey, I am pleased to hear that your enjoyed your stay with us. We at Grand Jersey take great pride in our work and service and use all feedback such as yours to constantly adapt and improve guest experience. I appreciate your comments regarding the current situation with our pool facilities - this area was in need of essential works and whilst we know this is an inconvenience and disappointment to our guests and members, unfortunately it does need to be carried out. The complimentary voucher for use of a nearby pool is a gesture of goodwill which has been very well received by our guests and gym members.

Thank you again for your review and for choosing Grand Jersey Hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Jersey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

Not my first time staying here but once again had a great time. We stayed for a wedding the staff were brilliant as usual and my room was okay although in future would rather have a sea facing or park view one as once you have those, as I have previously its a bit dark to come back to.

Food was fab at the wedding absolutely brilliant venue for a wedding with all rooms presented immaculately.

Unfortunately the pool was closed for refurbishment and we didn't find out about this until after I had booked and paid but just one of those things.

Room Tip: Definately try and get a park view room I think they are the best
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Eamonn E, General Manager at Grand Jersey Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. We all take great pride in our work and service and its great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and were pleased with the service you received. We very much value your feedback and will make sure to pass it on to the entire team and use it to continue to improve our service and hotel. Thank you again for your review and choosing to stay with us, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Helier
#4 of 31 in St Helier
Hotel La Place
Hotel La Place
#1 of 16 in St Brelade

Been to Grand Jersey Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!