“The only way to do it!”

Ranked #6 of 32 Hotels in St Helier
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“The only way to do it!”
Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

I've stayed in 5 different hotels in Jersey but this is the best by far, and that's not the best of the worst either. This is simply just the best and we don't stay in cheapy ones (at the risk of sounding snobby).
* Rooms: immaculate, sophisticated and complete with ironing board, iron, tea & coffee making facilities, robes, slippers, TV (sky Sports TV included too fellas!). I will advise that it does not have a mini bar, but there is a small fridge which is daily topped with free bottled water, but you could keep your own alcoholic drinks in there if you wish. Some rooms have a suite feel (from what I caught a glimpse of passing by house keeping on mornings), ours was just a room but I didn't feel I was missing out to be honest. Just me and the wife on this trip so need for bigger space. We paid extra for the sea view room which is fantastic when the weather is great as ours was for the full 3 days of our stay. I can't remember how much extra I paid but I didn't care once there as it made it that much more enjoyable overall. It looked like some could of had a balcony but I don't remember that as an option, would of been great if we'd had one during our stay. The shower and bath were good with plenty of water pressure from mixer taps, so none of this piddly drippy water none sense from poor pressured systems.
* Bar - We only spent a brief time in here but found it to be a warm relaxing atmosphere. The lighting was just perfect for the slow paced enjoyment and the background music was perfectly just that, background. The bar served all manner of optics and beers but their bottled beer selection was trying to be a little off the norm to be different with the only recognisable beverage being a Magners Cider. All the rest were unknown but that's not at all a bad thing depending on your view point. They did have regular draft of Carling etc, but there is always plenty to choose from. The bar staff were helpful and friendly too. The bar goes of more of the relaxed quite bar approach so there is no TV's with sports or anything on, but you do have it in your room. There is also an outside bar/patio area which is perfect for during the day on nice days, but I did not see this open on an evening after around 7pm. We were there in May, so maybe it stays open longer in the peak summer months. They do have patio heaters and parasols so it is likely. It can be accessed straight of the street and it appeared none hotel guests did meet up here for a few drinks due to its ideal location looking out to sea over the beach, so high summer time may see this a very busy area. Something to consider if you have kids and choose a sea view room which are located above this area. Again, we had anything poor to comment on about this, but it may be worth a note.

* Leisure facilities: We only too our swim wear and almost took gym clothes but were glad we didn't bother. The gym although it is immaculate and nicely decorated with the same sophistication as the rest of the hotel, it was a little small. Around 3 treadmills, 3 bikes and a multi gym machine from what I could see, supplemented by a section of dumbbell free weights with a reasonable selection. I only viewed the area through its windows when at the pool but i didn't feel I'd would of been in there long if I had bothered with my gym clothing. The pool however....wow! The water was like swimming in silk! The pool is big enough to get 4/5 people in comfortably side by side without any intrusive swimming, although we did have some bloke doing the front crawl like a wind up toy and splashing like an octopus in a fit, but to be fair he slightly annoyed those in the jacuzzi at the end so he was unavoidable. The sauna and steam room are just as nice, but the two showers to cool down after are a work of art! They have different settings such as Carribean Rain, and Ocean Storm to recall just a few. The jets differ, the pressure differs, the mood lights change and you feel just that little more 'wow'. The jacuzzi is nice but could probably only fit about 3 people in without it being too much of a footsie frenzy. We always left feeling relaxed and is if we were skipping ones air. The changing facilities are equally as luxurious and this is all accessed by a winding tiled corridor down in the basement of the hotel. Spa treatments are available but we didn't get any.

* Location: ideal! You have a short walk down to the Marina where at the first bank holiday weekend in May they have the annual boat show where boats fit for millionaires are paraded for you to see and look around on. There are stalls, beer tents, luxury cars and army vehicle displays also on show. It makes for a nice pass time to soak in between visiting the surrounding bars, shops and restaurants.

* Dining: The hotel has it's own two restaurants, one of which is a Michelin star restaurant, however note that this is not open on Sundays and Mondays. We did not use either and chose to eat in the nearby alternatives to see beyond the hotel a little. The breakfast is nice, but just not worth it. £10 p/person for continental breakfast, or £15 for full cooked. It is a buffet so you can eat as much as you want but after the first day I couldn't bring myself to keep it up. I'm all for paying for quality, and that's why I'd stay here again, and I know Jersey prices are higher for everything, but £15 for a cooked breakfast....? Not even Gordon Ramsey could make a breakfast taste worth that.

* Nearby: You have the Raddison over the road which has a good evening menu and also offers some good quality lunch time favourites to eat on the patio looking over the marina. The Bar/cafe terrace near by is also a nice little lunch time favourite, and a TGI Fridays is also in the same area as there's two. A cinema, KFC and swim centre (with aqua slides) are near by for young ones. If you walk a little further onto the next marina yard (5 mins) you hit the main town with some small shops and the occasional known outlet such as M&S, And Boots, but many of the rest are boutique type stores as Jersey apparently has some regulation about large high street chains where the money they take does not benefit the island (in fact I'm lead to believe TGI Fridays only managed to get on the island through a policy of employing a certain number of disadvantaged people, and a minimum number of non-islanders which is commendable).
Best food places nearby, The Quayside and Wildfire Grill Bar (upstairs - Tapas is downstairs).

All in all, the hotel is the best way to visit Jersey. It's not cheap, but then if your reading this you already know that and have already looked about at alternatives. Yes you can get cheaper and still nice, but if you want perfection....this is it.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ed H
Eamonn E, General Manager at Grand Jersey Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear Ed,

Thank you for your very detailed review of Grand Jersey - I have circulated this amongst the team here at the hotel for their information and constructive use.

I am so pleased that you had a such an enjoyable stay here - it is always lovely to hear when guests are impressed with the hotel, facilities and staff and left with a lasting impression.

I do hope that you decide to return to Grand Jersey in the near future as we would love to look after you again.

Eamonn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (597)
Bromsgrove, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Just had a week at The Grand Hotel Jersey. The Grand, is not good enough, it should be called The More Than Grand. From the moment we arrived and Hugo the concierge took the cases from the car we felt welcome. The room was excellent, roomy and well furnished with wide screen t/v, arm chairs, a large comfy bed and all mod cons. Good bathroom facilities and wardrobe space and a terrific view out over the bay to Elizabeth island. The breakfast was more than adequate with both hot and cold buffet choices as well as an order menu. The staff were faultless being both attentive and pleasant as well as efficient . Hotel facilities are excellent . Jersey is probably our favourite holiday destination and staying at the Grand for the first time made it even more so. Many thanks to Eammon ( the boss) who goes out of his way to ensure that all guests are treated well ( he was even there to wish us a safe journey home) and to DENTTEN a senior member of staff who is a keen landscape photographer (look up the name on google) for shared some secrets of the island and gave me some tips for some different places to photograph. Local knowledge that is always welcome. We will be returning in the future and look foward to staying at The Grand again.

Room Tip: Go the extra and book a sea view.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank spiritbird2016
Eamonn E, General Manager at Grand Jersey Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review of Grand Jersey - you clearly had a fantastic stay and the whole experience has made a good impression, which is exactly what we like to hear!

Your support for the hotel is very much appreciated and we can't wait to see you again.

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

Great weekend. Upgraded to sea view room - fab bath and balcony (traffic noise as expected; but not an issue for us). Great breakfast - staff very friendly and efficient. To be honest we were both surprised by how rude some guests (generally the more elderly) were towards waiting & reception staff. Relaxed feel to whole place. Loved the champagne lounge and found the food particularly good value given that each portion was enough for two. Spa not too busy but could do with more seating area. Great location - would definitely go again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Grand Jersey. Your feedback is so valuable to us, and I will definitely pass on your compliments to all of the staff - it is always a great morale boost when their hard work and friendly approach is recognised.

I'm delighted you will be returning in the future and look forward to welcoming you back to Grand Jersey.

Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We stayed in the Grand last year and also booked into their Michelin restaurant. The restaurant was the best meal we have ever tasted and cannot wait to go back again. The hotel and the staff we could not fault at all, an absolutely amazing stay and we would not hesitate to stay here again without a doubt.
If you are looking for 5 star treatment and luxury in Jersey, within walking distance of beach, restaurants, shops and all the sights then don't hesitate to stay here are The Grand Jersey.
We would like to thank the General Manager Eamonn for his warm welcome and first class service.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tlawlor
Eamonn E, General Manager at Grand Jersey Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear guest,

It was an absolute pleasure to welcome you to Grand Jersey and I am delighted that you were so blown away by the hotel, staff and service you received whilst you were here. Dining in our Michelin star restaurant Tassili is an opportunity not to be missed and again, I'm glad you were able to experience this first-hand.

On behalf of everyone here at Grand Jersey we can't wait to see you again soon.

england
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Just returned from a weekend at the grand hotel and wish to thank the staff who were the nicest I have ever met. Every single one of them were friendly, considerate and professional in every way. They went out of their way to ensure our stay was special. The food was lovely, the rooms very comfortable and the location great. A big thanks to all. When I come back to jersey I would certainly stay at the grand again.

Room Tip: States three nights and upgraded for an extra 30 pounds to a sea view room with a balcony. Lovely. W...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Eamonn E, General Manager at Grand Jersey Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Dear guest,

I am delighted that you had such a wonderful stay with us recently and will make sure everyone knows how much you appreciated the hotel's warm friendly and professional manner.

I look forward to your return to Grand Jersey in the near future.

Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

We had a good break at Easter . The hotel was clean , well appointed . The staff were kind of friendly but a bit superior . We have stayed in some of the best hotels in the world and I would say it was average but some of the staff thought they were special . All week we had a really pleasant concierge park our car and get the car in the morning , on the last day I went looking for him to give him a tip only to find a larger older guy ( who had looked down at us and ignored us for the whole stay ) hardly had a word to say , grunted and threw the keys at me . No offer of help with the luggage , really bad service which spoilt the trip . A poor advert for a reasonable hotel . He spent most of his time pandering to the older clientele , maybe he should work out where the real value is !

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Grand Jersey - all feedback, good or bad is extremely useful for us to improve the level of service we provide. If you could recall the name of the concierge who helped you during your stay it would be lovely for me to pass on your appreciation to him.

Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2014

My husband and I stayed here over the Easter Weekend. I stayed here before a number of years ago when it was 4 star.

I would say the food is certainly five star - high quality and imaginative and superb choice at breakfast time.

Polite and attentive service.

We were in a suite, as that was all that was left when we booked (just over a week ago). Only complaint was the windows in the bedroom were very high, the bath took a long time to fill and the room access cards were a bit erratic.

We had a wardrobe each and two TVs!

As neither of us are swimmers, we didn't make use of the leisure facilities so we can't comment.

Public lounge areas and external restaurant at front very comfortable.

Lounge area in suite very comfortable with superb views over the bay.

I would say it is quite pricey and would maybe choose a less expensive room next time.

Room Tip: We were in a corner suite (room 225)
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Sheila,

Thank you for your review of Grand Jersey following your recent stay - we really do appreciate you taking the time to pass your comments on, and I am so pleased that you enjoyed your break in Jersey.

I hope that you Grand Jersey will be your choice of destination again in the future and please don't hesitate to contact us directly if do decide to return.

Kind regards,

#1 of 5 in StSaviour
The Inn Boutique
The Inn Boutique
#3 of 32 in St Helier

Been to Grand Jersey Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!