“Lovely classic hotel”

Grand Jersey Hotel & Spa
Ranked #5 of 30 Hotels in St Helier
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I stayed at the Grand in the early 2000's and it was a bit tired then, which put me off staying there when I was back in Jersey for business this year, but as summer came along, lack of availability at my usual place prompted me to see what had changed (as I'd heard good things about the Grand)

I was so impressed by my first stay that I booked there again for my next, and look forward to staying again in the future. The decor of the hotel is fresh yet perfectly in keeping with the classic building. The furnishing of the rooms is of a very high standard and makes the rooms a real pleasure to be in. The heating system from my earlier stays (cast iron radiators) has been replaced with modern, quiet, powerful air conditioning.

My first stay this time, I was upgraded to a double room (our work booking system forces us to the cheapest available room, which at the Grand is a single room) and it was lovely - particularly the bathroom, with a double shower and separate, standalone bath in a spacious room, all gleaming white and sparkling. Generous towels too! The bedroom was of a good size and the bed was very comfortable. This wasn't a beach view room, and the bedroom window was heavily frosted, to disguise the closeup view of a brick wall that would otherwise have been afforded by it - a good solution to a problem outside the control of the owners.

My second stay, I was placed in one of the actual single rooms, and even for a single room, it was small - not a lot of floorspace around the bed and the bathroom barely big enough to open and close the door while in it. The bed was still as comfortable, and the decor as pleasant, though. This time, the frosted window gave a very pleasant view when opened across the green to the side of the hotel, but I was thankful for the frosting as it added a good level of privacy to a ground floor room.

In common with when I stayed before, the service was impeccable throughout from all staff, and the breakfast service was excellent. Unfortunately I didn't have time to try the spa or restaurants on either trip but look forward to in the future.

So to summarise, a lovely old fashioned but modern hotel (wifi is provided, but the free service is limited - something which is thankfully becoming more of a rarity in hotels now) which you'll enjoy even more if you splash out a little more and book a double room even if you're travelling solo.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a double room, even if travelling alone!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,761)

Reviewed 29 July 2014

My Mum and myself returned last week from another fabulous break at Grand Jersey. This time it was a special occasion to celebrate a milestone birthday for my Mum and the Hotel managed to make it even more special than usual. I had made some requests prior to going and they were followed to the letter but it was also all the other extra surprises and good wishes that we received that made it so great. I won't go in to detail as everyone will be asking for the same but massive thanks once again to Eamonn and his team for all their efforts. We had a lovely room overlooking the park and the bay made even lovelier by the beautiful weather. We ate in the Champagne Lounge, The Terrace and Victorias and the food and service in all were excellent as always. We also ate in Tassili on one evening which was possibly the best meal I have ever had, the cooking just gets better every year. Such unusual and original combinations without being gimmicky and the flavours are out of this world. They have also changed the decor thank goodness and the awful peach and black has gone in favour of bronze tones, so much better and all designed by the chef I believe ( what a talented chap). As has been mentioned before it is the staff that make this hotel, charming, sweet and efficient (we have never ever had to wait for service). The ladies on reception, the waiters and waitresses and Hugo and the lovely boys from Madeira on the concierge desk were all super. Lots of entertaining moments watching those boys park those cars in extremely tight spaces, what skill, I am going to ask for lessons next time! All headed up by Eamonn the dynamo and the Director of the hotel. Perfect holiday.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MissG22
Reviewed 29 July 2014

This hotel should be fantastic. Great location, good building but the service delivery, food and the rooms are are nowhere near the standard required.

I have had to stay here on several occasion and each time you pay through the nose for rooms that overlook ..........the wall of a multi storey car-park!,

Breakfasts are sub standard and a lot of the staff don't speak good English

Not Grand at all

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank david_spring
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We found nothing at fault with this hotel, it excels in all areas !! We traveled as a family of 2 adults and a 13 year old boy.. Checking in was easy and very efficient even though we were several hours before the official checking in time, we left our luggage with them and within an hour they had made a room available for us. The 3 of us were staying in one room and even with the addition of the extra single bed the room was spacious enough for 3, a balcony and a good sized bathroom. The hotel staff couldn't do enough for us, recommending beaches to visit and restaurants around the island. They also have complimentary valet parking which is great. We stayed on a B&B basis and the breakfast was was superb, so much choice, a la carte or buffet (as you please) and the waiting staff were great - nothing too much trouble and very attentive. This was our first visit to Jersey, we loved the island and we loved the Grand Jersey - we will definitely be back.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

We planned to come to Jersey for an adventure weekend and chose Grand Jersey as our hotel expecting it to be ... grand!

The hotel is nice, the staff friendly, the breakfast very good... BUT as it is classed as a beach hotel I would expect some deck chairs on the beach, on a terrace or anywhere in the sun...
The hotel has none! No extra towels to take on the beach either (like other Jersey's hotels have).
It is a beautiful city hotel with a view nothing more and definitely not worth the stars they claim.

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

I have just returned from a weekend stay at the Grand for my friends hen party. The trip was booked months in advance with the expert help of Alexandra in reservations, she was extremely helpful and made booking a trip for 23 very easy! We ate in the brasserie and the food was fantastic, service again was top notch, Gabriel was super waiter! The hotel could not do enough for us, they really made the stay very special. The spa is beautiful and the treatments were amazing, the rooms are spacious with very very comfy beds! They also have great air con which was very much needed this weekend. The terrace bar in front of the hotel is also a wonderful place to have a drink and a bite to eat, the staff were happy to seat all 23 of us! We also had a private room set up for cocktail making, which was fantastic fun and again the service was superb! Breakfast is amazing! I really cannot express how great all the staff at the hotel were, I've never stayed anywhere with such fantastic service! A big thank you to you all for making it a really memorable weekend!

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Just spent 8 nights at this hotel and it would have been great except for our first night in a sub-standard room:

First night we were checked into room 211 and straight away it was clear the room was very much below expectations - considering this is billed as a 5* hotel. A really tired room with shabby furniture, scuffed walls and a distinctly unpleasant smell - by no stretch of the imagination a 5* room. Straight way got in touch with reception who offered to show us the only other available room in the hotel at the time - which was in exactly the same condition!

Next morning awoke to the air-conditioning unit leaking water onto the carpet so got in touch with reception again who were able to show us room 123 - this was much more like what we were expecting and thankfully we were able to spend the remaining nights in this room and we were happy with it.

We spoke to and overheard other guests who were unhappy with their rooms for various reasons and therefore we could not recommend this hotel due to the inconsistency of room quality - if we would have had to spend all 8 nights of our stay in room 211 we would have checked out and demanded a refund.

Otherwise this is a nice hotel in a great location with EXCELLENT staff throughout ( the staff are currently this hotels best asset) but some rooms are in desperate need of a refurb to justify the 5* rating.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
#1 of 5 in StSaviour
Pomme d'Or Hotel
Pomme d'Or Hotel
#3 of 30 in St Helier

Been to Grand Jersey Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!