“Cheap, cheerful, clean and tidy!”
Review of Apollo Hotel

Apollo Hotel
Ranked #21 of 32 Hotels in St Helier
Reviewed 16 September 2011

Stayed for 2 nights, reasonable rates, close to town, staff lovely, bit dated, breakfast very good but under the lights so could be a bit hotter, plenty of tea and toast, rooms big again a bit dated bathroom clean but taps could be replaced but overall you pay for what you get!

There are newer reviews for Apollo Hotel

Reviewed 15 September 2011

Stayed at the Apollo the weekend the Jersey airshow should have taken place (cancelled due to bad weather). first impressions not good, but infact we enjoyed our stay, other reviews re car parking and shops are correct. However we had a room at the front and although a bit noisey the room was fine, quite large in fact with a good sized bathroom. The breakfast was excelent and the staff very helpfull and friendly. The lift to our floor was quaint (only room for two people). The only down side to our stay was the fact our room was over the heated indoor pool area and the heat from the pool made the room very hot. However after a mild complaint of the fact they provided us with a fan to help cool the room, this worked ok.
The hotel is a bit dated but we would stay there again no problem.

Reviewed 12 September 2011

This is a decent hotel situated about 300m back from the front at St.Helier. We'd read the reviews and weren't sure what to expect. It is a little bit dated, particularly the bar area, but things in general were of a reasonable standard and our room was of a good size and nice and clean. Most of the rooms, I think, look out over the pool and bar area and it can be a bit noisy later in the evening (talk from the bar drifting upwards) but this was only a minor problem on one evening. There was a bit of an issue with opening an account (and getting some kind of account card) if you wanted to put meals or drinks on a tab but apart from that the staff were helpful and courteous. We had a good stay.

Room Tip: I'd ask for a room overlooking the pool rather than the road outside, which is quite busy and no...
Reviewed 2 September 2011

Stayed here for five nights over the August bank holiday weekend as I was attending a wedding on the island. I had a single room whilst my parents were in a double room next door.

Bad points:

Both rooms faced the main road so it was pretty noisy (there's a pizzeria attached to the hotel and we had to put up with the delivery boy's zooped up car revving its engine every 10 minutes on the Friday and Saturday nights)
My parents room absolutely stank of stale smoke (we're all non-smokers) which was really unpleasant.
As other reviewers have pointed out the rooms and bathrooms are basic and the decor and furniture dated.

Good points:

The staff are helpful and friendly (the receptionist who booked us in recommended things to do and a fab restaurant.)
The food at breakfast was okay and the dinner buffets were pretty decent too.
Good location - 5 minute walk to the main shopping street.

Overall though if I were ever to come back to Jersey I would not stay here again. Shame really as the staff are doing their best, it's the condition of the hotel that lets them down.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 August 2011

I read the reveiws on this site before i visted apollo hotel in jersey and i noticed there were a few "bad" reveiws and i assumed people were moaning. I was wrong! The hotel was very average and i did not enjoy my stay to be honest, i took an ederly relative and there was lots of steps in the hotel and it was not disable friendly. The "luxury" outdoor pool was dirty and infested with seagulls, i was even told by a memeber of staff that the outdoor pool was dirty! The food was actually nice which was a good point but the room we had was extremely warm and we had a leak in the bathroom which we could not do anything about. As for the staff, most of them couldnt understand you and then the few that could were quite rude ecspecially to my elderly relative who struggles to walk and has hearing problems. The location of the hotel was ok as it was very close to the main shops. I would not vist Jersey again and i certainly would not go to the apollo hotel again. I am not moaning and if you visted you might see what i mean!

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank Luckylott
Reviewed 27 August 2011

I booked a balcony room at extra expense thinking that I would be able to smoke with the door shut of course. But on arrival I was told that there was a £250 fine if I smoked there. What rubbish, surely if I can smoke on a balcony on a cruise ship I should be able to do the same in the hotel. The only place to smoke was a area in the courtyard garden, which was great if the weather is hot but freezing if not. Also there is NO SOUND PROOFING between the rooms it sounded like the people above us had clogs on and were dancing in them every night, During a very hot night(as the room was very hot unless you wedge the door open) I even heard the guest above us usind the toilet.......The hotel is in need of a bit a refit the decorations although clean are tired. The staff are helpful and the breakfast was a buffet style but with lots of choices and always hot and tasty. The indoor pool was lovely cant say what the whirlpool was like as it was not working. The outdoor pool was clean and in good order, lots of people seemed to enjoy it. My husband dropped tea on the pillow and duvet cover on the first night (clumsy thing!!) the pillow was changed only when I left it on the end of the bed, and the duvet was not changed for the whole week. This hotel is in a good position only a stone throw away from the town centre and a short walk from the bus station.

Room Tip: Dont borther to pay extra for a balcony its not worth it.....rooms at the front of the hotel are noi...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank smileyEssex
Reviewed 27 August 2011

Apollo Hotel.

On arriving by car at the front entrance is on main road, so you have to unload at the rear, there is a steep slope, which is fine if you’re able bodied but quiet impossible you have to walk aided or you are disabled, Parking is limited, for larger cars.
The swimming outside pool is unheated, but they have a heated pool inside which is very clean and good.
On arriving at reception we were given 306 room which was situated at the front of the building, this room was so noisy we asked for another room. This was done by the manager.
The room was 220 which was over the car park with no view except of a large brick wall. The room was clean, and the bed very comfortable the bathroom was clean but could do with a coat of paint.
The food was good, with a buffet style where you get the food yourself with each course, as much food as you want, the staff were excellent, couldn’t do more for you nothing was to much trouble.
The overall holiday was very good and the service was excellent.
Would visit this hotel again but would ask for a room with balcony.

Room Tip: never tip untill the day departure
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family