“Great Location will go again” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Apollo Hotel

Apollo Hotel
Ranked #19 of 31 Hotels in St Helier
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Great Location will go again”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2009

I stayed for a week at this hotel with my parents. It has a great location. I had read reviews before I went and yes my room was by a noisy road but did not bother me. The weather was very hot when we went and my parents found they had a choice of keeping window open but hearing traffic. However we are planning to go back and pay a bit extra to upgrade to a room at back of hotel (no traffic at all) and they have balconies overlooking the pool.
The pools (indoor and out) were very clean and I spent everyday after a trip out, relaxing at the pool. Always got a sunlounger and it was very quiet and private.
This is not a five star hotel and is reflected in the price but would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
Dusseldorf, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2009

This is an ok hotel in as much as it is in a good location, central to St Helier and its shops and harbour. Only a short walk to the harbour and restaurants. It is a clean hotel and the service is more efficient than friendly. It has two pools, one in and one out with the indoor one including a sauna, shower room and jacuzzi all of which make a pleasant excursion. The outdoor pool is freezing but has a slide and plenty of loung space around it.

The hotel is very noisy, in many ways. Behind it is a Design shop which starts drilling and sawing very early in the day and goes on all day long if you get a room at the back of the hotel as we did. The shop has a security alarm that clicks all night long and although faint, quickly become a serious irritant and kept me awake on all three nights of my stay. The worst though is the noise from other rooms as the floor and walls are very thin. Anyone walking in the room above will sound like a herd of elephants and you can hear the speech of the people in the room next to yours.

The decor is seriously outdated and has not seen an update since about 1977 I would guess.

I was very disappointed with Jersey itslef and I was staggered by the amount of mid 50, overweight Northerners standing outside pubs, smoking cigarettes. Sadly, the pubs were not nice. Plenty around but ALL of them are poor. A great restaurant though called Nelsons Eye was superb and the food in Jersey is of a high standard, but it just seems to attract a more undesirable client I'm afraid.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Hertfordshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2009

I had been to the Apollo before with some mate some 4 years earlier but on a bed and breakfast basis. Last year with my parents we stayed half board, the bedroom smelt of smoke and was very dated. The buffet breakfast is very good, just ashame that the evening meal I thought was very poor. The more expensive pay extra menu looked to be of a better quality altogther.

I would stay again but only on a bed and breakfast basis.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
N.Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2009

Well after reading some of the reviews here I panicked a bit about my booking to the Apollo. We stayed for 4 nights and can honestly say that it was very good. After the coach dropped us off at the front door with cases and small child we were very greatful to be met at the steps by a porter who insisted on carrying all the baggage straight to our room. Checkin was welcoming and friendly and very easy. Room and whole hotel was spotless. Room was well maintained and freshly painted. Downsides would be that the room was extremely hot all day and night, I think this was because it was above the kitchen. We had a fan but it was difficult to sleep in that heat. Staff were superb. They were friendly and very efficient. The restaurant manager was a lovely man and really loved the children. Probably best to just go bed and breakfast. Breakfasts were lovely with lots of choice but dinner was not so good. Overall I would definatley go back to the hotel but would ask for a poolside room as I believe from other guests that these didn't have the same heat issues. Good car park, a hire car is a definate bonus as the most beautiful parts of Jersey are outside St Helier. Good location to the shops.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank trigger15128
lincolnshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2009

OK,
I read reviews for this hotel. very few adverse comments, something about a lady not getting a cup of tea on demand?? and the bathrooms being tired.
For those who complained I think a lesson in what you get for2, 3, 4 and 5 star wouldn't go amiss.
The hotel is well located, being just at the northern edge of St Helier main area. 10 Mins walk from most attractions in St Helier and for us the bus station was important. £22 each for a 5 day pass all over the island all day any day.
The staff were always smiling and helpful, worthy of special mention is the restaurant manager, make him your friend, which isn't hard., he loves his job!
The whole hotel is clean and tidy and very quiet at night.
Yes the bathroom was furnished with the sort of mixer tap and snake shower fitting you get in most houses, and getting a good temperature was a black art ( DO NOT LET THE WIFE FLUSH THE TOILET WHILE YOU ARE IN THE SHOWER!!) but I only spent 5 minutes in a shower max so what was the problem??
SKy or even Freeeview TV would be a welcome addition for falling asleep to but HEH HO.

In all thank you Apollo

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank telboy1952
windermere U.K
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2009

Stayed at the Apollo for a week with my husband and two elderly dads. The service and cleanliness was excellent. My dad liked a coffee each night before bed and this was always obtained for him. The sandwiches from the coffee shop were freshly made to order. The seating in the well kept garden was great on a sunny afternoon.
The only down side was the small size of the single rooms. No drawer availability for shirts, underwear etc. The staff were pleasant and helpfull.
I would use this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2009

Hi I booked this hotel for 5 nights. I found the staff very un-helpful. I seen an elderly lady ask for a coffee at the reception and they said that they had none, they all seem very depressed, they didn't seem to talk to each other, the rooms are very dated the be careful if you book a double room you will get a room with 2 single beds. The noise above our room was un-real I spoke to the staff about it but nothing was done.

I paid a lot of money for my stay at the Apollo what a waste.
The only good thing good about this hotel is the location.
The Mayfair hotel is just beside it a much better hotel with up bet staff
and a bit of life about it.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple

#15 of 31 in St Helier
Hotel De Normandie
Hotel De Normandie
#3 of 5 in StSaviour

Been to Apollo Hotel? Share your experiences!