“Wonderful stay”

Ranked #2 of 32 Hotels in St Helier
York
“Wonderful stay”
Reviewed 2 October 2008

My mum and I stayed here for a long weekend, and were thoroughly impressed and enjoyed our stay.
We'd book a platinum room and so had a view across to Liberation Square and the harbour. As the weather was so warm and sunny, we were able to sit out on the balcony. Fabulous!

I really don't understand previous reveiwer's comments about the staff. All the staff we came across were always professional, helpful and friendly. There was certainly no language problem.

I can only second all the positive comments from previous reviews. We ate at the Cafe Zephyr and thought the food was excellent - particularly the Sea Bass!! Can certainly recommend Afternoon Tea there too!

The only sad part of our stay was leaving - but we'll definetly be returning!

• Liked — The room, the staff, the location, the food....
  • Disliked — Having to leave at the end!
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Diane05

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (469)
East Sussex
Reviewed 23 September 2008

My partner booked this hotel for my birthday and the aim of a relaxing long weekend in Jersey and it delivered....

The refurb / rebuild has been done extremely well and we were in one of the Platinum rooms with a balcony overlooking the harbour. The room was a good size, with modern ameneties and a luxurious bathroom.

Being new everything worked as it should the smaller details (underfloor heating in bathroom & HD TV with sky sports) were very welcome.

My partner had booked their 'hanky panky' package so a bottle of champagne was waiting on ice when we arrived with a selection of delicious cholocates. This should have also included a rose petal turndown but we only got this on the third night after mentioning its omission to the hotel staff twice. This proved slightly tricky with the many non english speaking staff although the manager was extremely understanding and a second bottle of champagne (this one complintary) soon followed for the oversight.

The spa facilities were generally fantastic with some brilliant modern technology including a light / multi spray themed shower, foot spa, two steam rooms and colourful relaxation room. The jacuzzi could have been better (not enough pumps and water too cold) but thats being a little too fussy.

The restaurant experience was a little mixed - we dined twice in the Sirocco (once as part of the hanky panky package and once on the a la carte menu). The food overall was superb, with a relatively simple but stylish menu. I did feel that based on the location, and quality of the food, the pricing was a little steep - tasting menu was £78 vs the tasting menu at Gordon Ramseys boxwood cafe for just £55. Having said that the restaurant manager was a superb professional and our sommelier was very chatty.

Breakfast was okay. The continental buffet was good but the cooked breakfast wasn't as good as it should be. Again for the price of the hotel you would expect individually cooked breakfasts rather than a hot buffet. But choice was broad and service ok.

Overall, we had a fabulous stay and should I ever go to Jersey again, would immediately return to this hotel without question.

• Liked — Quality of the rooms and location
  • Disliked — Lack of fluent english speaking staff / poor communications
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank agoshtai
Weston Super Mare
Reviewed 23 September 2008

What a hotel!! As soon as I saw the website for the Royal Yacht I knew I had to stay there. I was planning a short break for myself and my boyfriend and booked 1 night in the Royal Yacht as a treat for us (we couldn't afford to stay there for 5 nights!)
The location is fantastic - overlooking the harbour and within easy walking distance of plenty of restaurants, the bus station and the beaches.
We stayed in a Gold Deluxe room, and it was fabulous. The bathroom was beautiful, the shower in particular was amazing but there was nothing in the whole room that wasn't perfect.
We ordered room service for breakfast, which was also perfect, both in presentation and in accuracy of our order. It surpassed my expectations completely.
We are saving so we can return, and hopefully for a longer stay next time.

• Liked — Pure Luxury wherever you looked
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
4 Thank bubblesWSM83
UK
Reviewed 12 September 2008

After reading the reviews I was expecting five star standards and it was almost there. Unfortunately it was a flying visit and I only had one night there in one of their Gold rooms because all the Platinum were booked up. However, I have absolutely no gripe about the room at all. It was lovely. Truly lovely with a fabulous bathroom and a great balcony.

There are just a few things I think you should be aware of:

1. PARKING IN JERSEY - if you are driving make sure you research this before you go. There is no parking at the hotel and the system in Jersey is mind blowingly bad. I only found out about the parking system when I got to the hotel and the receptionist, who didn't speak very good english, tried to explain something about scratch cards. I didn't get it the first time because her english wasn't good. I asked if she spoke french (I have basic french) but she didn't speak french either. Thankfully the concierge who was on at the time was SUPREMELY helpful (thank you) and he spoke very good english so he managed to explain it to me.

2. THE STAFF - are lovely but their grasp of the english language is not good. As I said above, I tried in french too but we met only one member of staff who spoke french. We tried to get room service but they couldn't quite understand what we wanted so we ended up ringing the concierge who had helped us before and he sorted it out. I'm not the type of person to complain about people not speaking english. If I'm in france, I try to speak in french, if I'm in spain, I try to speak spanish etc, etc. BUT Jersey is part of the british isles and so I DO expect to be understood.

3. THE PILLOWS - I couldn't work out if they were real feathers or imitation. I think they were real because they reduced to nothing when you put your head on them. My partner snores if his head isn't supported (poor me) and he has a slight allergy to feathers. Trying to explain to housekeeping that we wanted some firmer synthetic pillows was impossible (again, not good english) and the helpful concierge had gone by that time so we put up with the feather pillows. Hence I hardly slept all night because my partner snored throughout and he woke up with a headache and a stuffy nose.

4. THE FOOD - the main restaurant was closed, which surprised me, so we ate at the cafe zephyr. What a disappointment. Everything just missed the mark. My partner had hot chilli squid, stir fried veg and rice. The squid had hardly any chilli in it, the stir fry was swimming in a kind of soup and tasted as if it had been done in old fat, the rice was tasteless. My sea bass was murdered, the sweet potato mash whilst tasty was quite oily and the bread was slightly stale. I also noted that some diners were given bread as soon as they were seated, with olive oil and balsamic to dip. We didn't get that, in fact we had to ask for bread, which as I said was stale. I certainly WOULDN'T eat at that hotel again. The prices were certainly five star for, at best, two star food. I'm used to eating in rural France these days were I can get fabulous food every day for a fraction of what they were charging at that hotel. I'm not a complainer so we simply ate our food, paid and left.

I very rarely leave such in depth reviews (check my others, I'm usually very very generous and concise) but I was so disappointed with this hotel I simply had to share my thoughts.

• Liked — The rooms/decor is fabulous
  • Disliked — Poor communication skills of the staff
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SLD64
Tuusula, Finland
Reviewed 3 September 2008

Stayed there for two nights in September’08.

Had some kind of “premium room” in 4th floor with a large balcony overlooking the harbor. Elizabeth Castle clearly visible in the background. View towards harbor was somewhat affected by four-lane street located between the hotel and the harbor itself. Room (as the whole hotel) is very modern, but not in “hyper modern minimalist bouquet style”. Rather large room with a large bathroom. Separate shower and bathtub sections. 2 LCD TVs (one for viewing while taking bath). Some noise from the corridor, no noise from the street.

Location is very central, just a stone’s throw from the St. Helier central bus station. Taxi stop just next to the hotel.

Free WLAN + LAN connection available in the room (at least part of my premium room rate).

Breakfast selection was quite extensive, did not try any of the multiple hotel restaurants for any other purposes.

All in all, nothing really to complaint about regarding this particular hotel. Everything worked as it should. Why not five stars then? Well, there’s still that little something missing from this place when compared to the real luxury hotels in the world, such as Peninsula Bangkok. Therefore “only” four stars from me.

Would I return there? Yes, since I had no complaints

• Liked — Overall quality
  • Disliked — Nothing really
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
3 Thank dadsasdasd
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 24 August 2008

I booked this hotel as a surprise for my husband for our first wedding anniversary ( where did that year go??) and we were SO pleased with it! I booked direct - 3 nights in a deluxe harbour facing room - and saved over £250 on the travel agent's quote. The staff were very efficient in sending confirmations via e mail and arranged for us to be picked up at the airport. The room was on the fourth floor - lovely - very contemporary with a great balcony and stunning bathroom - there was even a TV above the bath! Our package included chocolates and champagne and had these sitting on the balcony watching the sunset!
Breakfast was great - but expensive if you have it delivered to the room.
We also had a meal in the restaurant included in our package - it was supposed to only be from the Table d'Hote, but we were allowed to chose from the a la carte menu for no extra cost - and the food was exceptional - as was the service - try the assiette of desserts - it was fabulous!
We did use the spa on the Saturday evening, but it was SO busy - I think it would be lovely if there were less people in it!
The only down side of this hotel was the noise - as our room overlooked the front of the hotel, it also overlooked the open air brasserie which was very popular at night - and absolutely heaving with drinkers at 2.30am on the Saturday morning!! I couldn't believe the noise from the revellers at that time of the morning and found it hard to get back to sleep, but the following night was much quieter, so maybe we just experienced a very busy night.
Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Royal Yacht and would probably return, however we might opt for the quieter town of St Aubin next time.

• Liked — Location and Quality of Room
  • Disliked — Noise from Brasserie
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank tobyteabag
Braunschweig, Germany
Reviewed 18 August 2008

We stayed at the Royal Yacht for six nights in August. Checkin was fast and efficient and staff were generally friendly.
We stayed in a Gold Deluxe Room on the third floor which had a nice balcony overlooking the courtyard of the Jersey Museum next door. There can be a bit of noise from the nightclub at the hotel, however we heard no noise once the balcony door was closed.
The room had a large double bed, a desk and a chair and table. The flatscreen TV was nice, however there was a mouse pointer in the middle of the screen when watching TV which we found disturbing. There is also a DVD-player in the room.
On arrival we found that the key to the minibar was broken off with the minibar being locked. We reported this to the front desk who wanted to take care of this. However it was never fixed and thus we couldn´t use the minibar during our stay. Prices aren´t even that bad compared to other hotels. However we did use the kettle for tea and coffee.
The balcony had a table and two chairs and a lounger. The cushion on our lounger was missing, as the neighbouring rooms had one. We had the sun in the mornings on our balcony.
The bathroom was quite large with a sink, bathtub and separate shower. There were plenty of towels, slippers and bathrobes as well as shampoo etc. available.
The hotel offers all major UK papers (at a charge), ours was delivered promptly every morning.
We had drinks at the Cafe Zephyr and Drift Bar and dinner at the Grill which was excellent. Breakfast was served in the Scirocco restaurant offering a good choice of English and continental with fresh fruit. The only complaint about breakfast would be the staff. Every morning a group of two or three people who seemed to work in the hotel´s management came for breakfast and were pampered by breakfast staff. This is not a problem for me, however I feel left out as a paying guest if I have to ask more than twice for tea or toast (which you can´t get from the buffet) if their own management gets all the attention.
The Spa is included in the room rates and is very nice. There is a gym, a pool, sauna, steam baths, showers etc. Spa staff are friendly and there is always cold drinking water at hand. Children are not allowed in the Spa but should receive free tickets for the nearby waterpark from reception.
The location is good and within walking distance to all St. Helier attractions including the harbour, main shopping street, restaurants, pubs, and the bus terminal is across the road. Parking is a problem though as the hotel doesn´t have any parking. There is a multi-storey car-park a short distance from the hotel which is charged during the week from 8 to 5, but Jersey operates a system of scratchcards which is rather annoying.
I can fully recommend the hotel for a stay in Jersey. The hotel is very new and has excellent facilities. The food was delicious (do not miss the Museum Brasserie next door, however!) and staff friendly.

• Liked — Free wi-fi, spa, shower in the bathroom
  • Disliked — parking
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple