“Worst hotel - at least Fawlty Towers was funny.”
Review of Monterey Hotel

Monterey Hotel
Ranked #7 of 32 Hotels in St Helier
London, United Kingdom
“Worst hotel - at least Fawlty Towers was funny.”
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Having travelled extensively (over 50 countries) and stayed in hundreds of hotels, the Monterey was undoubtedly the worst I have sampled. A summary of just *some* of the issues: I had pre-booked and pre-paid, but on arrival they said they had no record of me. (The same happened to my friend, who had booked separately.) The receptionist was OK, but not warm, and never smiled. My booking was eventually found and I was given a room - but totally different from what I had booked. When I asked if I had been given the wrong room, the duty manager (who was abrupt and rude) took me to a much smaller and even less satisfactory room as an alternative. I pointed out (with my reservation in my hand) that I had paid extra for a "twin room with a separate seating area". To my amazement the manager replied "We don't have any rooms like that in this hotel - I will tell our commercial department to correct the website". My room was large, but totally filled with furniture (a large double bed and a single bed). The room was clean, but tired, and the furniture was of the cheap IKEA-type. There was some tired paintwork and peeling wallpaper. The nasty shower curtain was permanently fixed across the bath, dividing it in two. Most shocking of all was the rudeness of the staff, from the manager downwards. On the first evening I visited reception and said I had noticed that a password was needed for the wi-fi in the bar; he replied: "Correct. So what are you asking?" I was obliged to say "Please may I have the password", before he would hand it over. I was later reprimanded by the waitress in the bar for not eating in the hotel dining room. The lift door stuck on the third floor every time I used it - I had to stand on the correct side of the lift, to adjust the balance, in order to get the door to close (I reported this fault to the manager, but he didn't seem interested). The room was so hot at night that I couldn't sleep; there is no air conditioning, and not even a minibar or fridge in the room (this was a "superior" room). Breakfast was good, but was the ONLY good thing about this shabby, nasty hotel, with rude, disinterested staff.

Room Tip: The best rooms are on the third floor, though personally I'd choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank TouringTimothy
ManagerJersey, Manager at Monterey Hotel, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
Thank you for your comments on you two night stay. We are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. Our team at the hotel had thought that any issues raised were speedily and efficiently handled and felt that you were content on your departure from the Monterey.

1. On arrival, we confirm that your name was not on our booking system. This is because the booking, made by you through a third party on-line operator, had not been made in your name. This was through no fault of our hotel but it did not help matters as we worked quickly to resolve this misunderstanding and it may have set off matters on the wrong foot.

2. Our staff. We hold a Silver Investor in People award at the Monterey and we do have a happy team of staff and management. There are also many good comments that have been made on this site about our staff. It is difficult as we at no point knew of the extent of your dissatisfaction of which we now learn.

3. Our bedrooms: We have a range of bedrooms in the hotel. A great many of our superior bedrooms do have a small seating area - but not all. There are a range of images on-line. It is easy to request such facilities at time of booking but no such request was made by you. We were full at the time of your stay and as a result it was not easy to move your reservation within the hotel.

4. Breakfast: We are pleased that you found that breakfast was good. Thank you.

5. Lift: We have two modern high specification Otis passenger lifts at the Monterey Hotel. Both are serviced under a comprehensive annual maintenance agreement with Otis. The lift door does not close when you are too close to the exit.

6. Website description: We have reviewed the website description as written by your chosen operator. Their website description of our hotel seem to be correct.

7. We offer free WIFI with a high quality robust secure service being available throughout the hotel. We are sorry that we were unclear as to your request.

8. Our restaurant offers an all day menu service and staff are at hand to serve guest at all times through to 9pm. This is a facility that attracts many good comment from guests.

Finally, we are an AA 3 Star hotel which is regularly inspected by the AA to ensure that it meets their high standards. We are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay but respect that we will not meet the expectations of all our guests on all occasions. Thank you once again for your feedback.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 September 2013

My Wife and I stayed in the Monterey for the first two weeks in September, we were greeted by very polite and helpful reception lass who fully explained the facilities available and location of our room. The room was overlooking the outdoor pool the room was clean, comfortable and adequately furnished with tea and coffee facilities bathroom toiletries and hair dryer. Breakfast and dinner were of a very high standard although the same menu was repeated weekly(perhaps consideration for fourteen day plan could be considered).
The staff are this hotel asset, all with the exception to one rather solom waiter who looked like he was chewing a wasp!! were great 5* staff at 3* prices. Special mention must go to Diane(manager) Baloo the barmaid!!! and Victor.
The town centre it a gentle 15/20 min walk although there is a bus service outside the hotel entrance and taxi's are available on request from the reception. We have stayed in lots of hotel including 5* and would certainly rate this amongst the top. In the words of Arny WE WILL BE BACK. thanks for a wonderful stay XX

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
We are delighted that you found our team to be polite and helpful. Thank you.

We do try to offer a high standard of service for our grade and we are delighted that you felt that the hotel service was to a high standard.

Your comments are very encouraging for my team at the hotel. This genuine feedback is appreciated by us.
Kenilworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 September 2013

It is a ok three star hotel and is a little way out of town. The bedroom was on the tired side but clean. Food was good but we found the waiters were poor and moaned a lot. We had a bottle sparkling wine in our room on arrival for our wedding anniversary that was nice. The Gym and indoor pool are on the small size.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the indoor pool blower as it is very noisy.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 September 2013

We stayed in the Monterey in the first week of September 2013, our superior room was of a very good standard and had every thing that we required except that the island was in a bit of a mini heat wave and there was no air conditioning in the room but there was a very good portable fan which was more than adequate and kept us cool when required, the hotel facilities are fantastic, both the in door and outdoor pools are very good, the dinning room/breakfast room is very clean as is the bar, reception area and the quiet lounges, the choice of food at breakfast time is excellent with a good selection of, self service hot food, which is topped on a regular basis, cereals, fresh fruit, 4 different types of fresh fruit juices, cheeses, jams, croissants and freshly made toast, we ate in the bar area in the evening on 3 different occasions, the menu was extensive and the food was fantastic, but what really makes this hotel is the service, the attitude of the daily staff and management is fantastic nothing is to much trouble, be it at breakfast, in the dinning room, at reception or at the bar, the management are seen throughout the day and deal with any problems you may have.

The location of the hotel is a leisurely 15/20 min stroll into the centre of St Helier through the beautiful millennium park, all in all probably the best 3 star hotel we have stayed in, and we will definitely return in the future.

• Stayed September 2013
Fife
Reviewed 17 September 2013

My partner and I stayed at this hotel for a long weekend at the end of August. Its a lovely hotel, staff are friendly and helpful. The food was good and the prices for drinks reasonable. My partner and I actually got engaged during our trip and the hotel left us a bottle of Champagne in our room which was a lovely touch. I would use this hotel again on a return trip to Jersey.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Overall happy with our stay at the Monterey Hotel, St Helier. All staff (apart from one) were polite, courteous and helpful. Initial mistake made by hotel in room allocation was quickly resolved. Rooms are well-equipped. Selection of breakfast & bar/restaurant food good and of excellent quality. Only major grumble was that my superior room housed the very loud generator for the swimming pools right outside the window (which came on at 6am and went off at 9pm). 15/20 minute walk to town centre and sea front.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Jacs100
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Clean, Comfortable, Cheerful service and good food.
This hotel looks small but by the number of people at dinner has a lot of guests. This isn't a problem at all and food arrives quickly and is of good quality,
The menu has almost too much choice! I never had a poor meal.
The rooms are clean and more than adequate in terms of size and practicality.
It's at the top of the town so a 20 minute walk to the sea front.

Room Tip: We had rooms on the back of the hotel and it was very quiet,
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Mark W
ManagerJersey, Manager at Monterey Hotel, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
Thank you for your kind comments.

We are an AA Three Star hotel with 73 bedrooms - a size which provides us with a good atmosphere for guests. Our indoor swimming facilities and freshly prepared catering have helped to make us a popular choice.

Guests who walk into the town centre may enjoy the fact that the new Millennium Town Park is en-route with its artworks and water features. This has been a major public investment into the area and we are fortunate to be close-by.

Thank you for your fantastic feedback which is appreciated by my dedicated team.