“Not really what it seemed on booking”

and 1 more site!
La Bonne Vie Guest House
Ranked #3 of 20 St Helier B&B and Inns
Falkirk
“Not really what it seemed on booking”
Reviewed 31 August 2011

Bedroom clean enough but very small. One small bottle of shower gel and shampoo given on arrival and NOT replaced throughout the week. Towels only changed once in the week. Biggest annoyance was breakfast - Breakfast was between 8 and 9 only - that in itself is OK but five mornings out of the seven we had to wait for a table as there were not enough tables for the amount of people staying in the guest house. Very small dining room with a badly torn part of the carpet which could have been quite nasty. Only two bowls of cereal out and if you wanted grapefruit you had to ask and was given a SMALL bowl of this. In our opinion this is definitely not a FOUR STAR as stated in book - more like two star. This place was booked because it was FOUR STAR!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank miriamfalkirk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
essex
Reviewed 11 June 2011

Having just read the latest review on this guest house, improvements may well have been made since I stayed there, which was in October 2010. I was aware that the guest lounge was going to be refurbished, which is just as well, because it looked like something out of the 1950s, the only up-to-date item being the TV!
Firstly, the positives; the towels were beautifully white and fluffy (I understand that they had recently been replaced), and the bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in. The location was excellent, and Noella is a gem; if the rating had been for her, I would give her 5 stars without hesitation.
Now the negatives; When I was shown to my room, the toilet was not clean. I mentioned this and was told that a bit of bleach would sort it out. While it did indeed resolve the problem, that was not acceptable, because the toilet should have been cleaned before, not after, I had arrived. Also, the toilet brush was badly stained, and I don't think I need to be graphic here.... There were no drawers in my room, so items that could not be hung up had to go on the shelves in the wardrobe. This would not have been a problem had the shelves been clean, but they were not, unfortunately. It is for the reasons I have just stated that I have only given three points for cleanliness.
The breakfast was very bland, and offered the same each day with very little choice. The toast was underdone, cold and soggy, and the only fruit-juice available every single day was orange. There were two choices of cereal - the same two choices every day - and as I don't eat cooked breakfast, I would have welcomed some fresh fruit and/or yoghurt.

The carpet in my room was clean, but the same could not be said for the carpet in the entrance hall and on the stairs.

I decided to try La Bonne Vie last year for a change, but this year I will be returning to the guest house I have stayed in for the past three years, which has only been allocated 3 stars but has far more redeeming features than the Bonne Vie. The room rate for La Bonne Vie is extremely reasonable, but that is reflected in its overall quality.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
5 Thank EssexPussycat
Cottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2011

We have just returned from a weeks stay at La Bonne Vie and would just like to say we enjoyed our stay, a little bit of France in Jersey. Our rooms was bright, airy and perfectly clean. Fluffy white towels and tea/coffee available everyday. We didn't use the guest lounge, as we spent most of our days out, but again it was very welcoming with big comfy settees and polished wood floors. We would happily stay here again.
It is many years since I first visited Jersey and it is just as friendly as I remember, great walking and food.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Palintravels
Gloucs
Reviewed 3 October 2010

we went to trace family tree ,it was close to what we needed ,plenty to eat for breakfast .lovely fluffy towels ,bed very comfy ,very welcomeing would use again

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gary_Lynne
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2010

Ok, just a basic review, i'll keep it simple.

Single traveller paying a small £38 a night inc breakfast! My review is in comparison with price paid, however i felt this was ony a 3star B&B
I thought the interior of the hotel was actually very nice. I couldnt tell where i would have had to go if needed to ask the proprieters(?) for any help. The only rooms i could make out where the breakfast room and snug downstairs.

Positives: Price (£38 for single room), Close to St Helier Shops and REALLY close to beach! Room felt cosy and tv had excellent reception for once! SHortbread was a nice touch in room. Bed was SO comfortable and quality of bedding excellent.

Negatives: Breakfast choice was lacking and atmosphere was strange/quiet/uncomfortable. Just orange juice, cornflakes and muesli. Plus fried breakfast. Towels were stiff and old. No parking at all. Couldnt contact owners for any help.

All in all, would possibly return as price was endearing. This isnt 4star tho im afraid. 3star maybe.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2010

There are 2 totally conflicting reviews of this 4* B&B which prompted me to relate our experience. Before our stay I read the reviews and their website and felt sure I had made a good choice which in some respects I had.

It was very well kept outside, freshly painted with lots of flowers, but unfortunately the inside was not the same. It was cosy and inviting but shabby and had seen better days. The entrance carpet and stairs were dirty. Our bedroom was very clean, but again the decor needed refreshing. The towels were well worn and crisp, but were changed daily. The toothbrush & soap holder were green and unusable and the hairdryer & kettle were old & worn. Also it had a winter duvet on which was far too warm for the middle of summer.

Saying all that though the host was friendly and the service efficient. The breakfast was excellent.

So overall it was worth the £74 per night we paid, but I did expect a little better from a 4*

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank niceday24
scotland
Reviewed 6 July 2010

My husband and I have just returned from a week-long stay at La Bonne Vie. We received a warm welcome from Maria but found the experience on the whole was not of a high enough standard to merit the 4* grading, in comparison with other similarly graded establishments at which we have stayed recently, mostly due to minor issues such as attention to detail which could be easily rectified.

The location of the guest house was far enough away from the rabble of the town centre but within easy walking distance and was also near to the beach.

On the plus side, the decor in the bedroom and en-suite was pleasant and we found the Mira shower to be excellent, giving a constant water temperature and flow. The bedding was clean and was even changed mid-week and the bed was reasonably comfortable.

Now onto the (unfortunately) long list of areas for improvement:-

The bedroom was oppressively hot in the middle of the night, making it difficult to sleep even with the window open - I accept this was due to the exceptionally hot weather but feel that a fan could have been provided in the room.

The bedside cabinets were very rickety and the drawers were tiny and virtually unusable. The bed in our room had a metal frame with bits that stuck out the ends, and as there wasn't a great deal of room to maneouvre, I kept walking into them and now have a lovely bruise on my leg as an unwelcome souvenir of the trip!!

Like another reviewer, we found the towels to be old and grey - one of our hand towels even had a hole in it! There's no excuse for this - fluffy white towels are to be expected in this day and age and are reasonably inexpensive to buy at the likes of BHS!! In the same vein, the bath and pedestal mats in our en-suite were rather grubby - it would have been better if the en-suite had vinyl on the floor with a mat provided to use when having a shower, rather than the carpet and mats which were in place.

There was no bin liner in the bin in the en-suite, or sanitary disposal bags available, which was a hygiene issue.

As we were travelling by plane I decided to travel light and did not take my hairdrier, however the hairdrier provided in our bedroom was absolutely filthy - I don't know if something had been spilt on it or whatever but it was absolutely disgusting and icky. I tried to clean it with antibacterial wipes but this didn't shift the grot, I couldn't bear to touch it so ended up having to buy a travel hairdrier from Boots!

The website for the guest house boasts "many comforts awaits you with chocolates, biscuits and home-made fudge to greet you on arrival" and also states that all rooms have internet, toiletries and "small necessity baskets as standard".

We were never offered home made fudge, although there were 2 squares of chocolate in a dish in the bedroom as well as shortbread fingers. There was a bar of soap and small bottles of shower gel and shampoo/conditioner in the en-suite, however I didn't find the "small necessity basket", whatever that was supposed to be! There was no shower cap provided, so it was just as well that I had one in my washbag saved from a previous vacation. My husband requested the password for wi-fi access but the password he was given by the management didn't work, but this was probably not a bad thing in the light of the comment from the other reviewer about the wi-fi access turning out not to be free!!

The website also states "the pretty breakfast room offers you a hearty farmhouse breakfast from it's small A La Carte menu with home-backed muffins as a Sunday speciality".

The breakfast unfortunately did not live up to this reputation and I found the choice woefully lacking. The menu listed grapefruit segments, however we were never offered these, and there was only the choice of cornflakes or muesli. The only hot drinks available were tea or coffee, which was disappointing as I would have preferred fruit or herbal tea. I was disappointed there was no scrambled eggs on the menu as this is the only type of cooked food that I can stomach in the morning, so ended up having croissants most mornings (served with very nice strawberry jam which was a bonus as the marmalade was very bitter). I tried the toast one morning but it was unappeallingly stone cold. It was a pity there were no other non-cooked alternatives such as yogurt or fruit, which I would expect a 4* establishment to offer. The only plus point regarding breakfast was that it was served from 7.45am, allowing us more time to get up and out to explore the island, however you had to be down quick to make the "first sitting" for breakfast as there weren't enough tables for the number of rooms - I noticed that some people had to go away and wait for people to finish before they could get a table. The promised "home-backed muffins" never materialised on the Sunday either...

The television only had about 2 watchable analogue channels - roll on the digital switchover in the Channel Islands!!!!

On the whole I was rather disappointed by this guest house, which I would have rated nearer 3* than 4*. It would have been OK for an overnight or short stay but the irritations started to really grate on me after a couple of days and clouded an otherwise perfect holiday.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple