“lovely days”

Westhill Country Hotel
Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in St Helier
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We recently spent 4 nights at this lovely hotel with friends. It is family run and shows. Everyone we met involved in the running of the hotel was friendly, helpful and all looked interested and happy in their work.
Do not think we have stayed in such a delightful place for many years. The grounds and swimming pool were lovely. The garden beautifully kept and I noticed how the outside tables and chairs were fresh and new and always clean.
The courtesy bus was so useful.
When so many hotels are so impersonal and poor in customer service this is a little gem and large companies should take a look at how this is run.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking garden although we could hear a lot of noise from the adjacent room
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank kmbsurrey

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Beautiful location, really cheap and stunning, well kept gardens to sit in. Room was spotlessly clean if a little dated but fine for the price we paid. Breakfast was very good with good service.

Staff we nice, apart from a bit of a frosty Australian (?) receptionist. Only one thing spoiled were the two huge dogs in reception shedding hair which was on the tables and chairs and even worse daily dog poo on one of the lovely gravel paths in the garden!!!!!! I don't mid dogs but this wasn't good and I'm pleased we didn't have children with us running around.

Overall a good hotel for the money in lovely grounds but please sort out the dogs!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MrsK139
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Me and my partner stayed at the Westhill for the bank holiday weekend. We are returning guests having stayed in 2009, however my partners family have been staying at the Westhill for just under twenty years which gives you an idea of how highly thought of this hotel is to us.

Since our last stay, the rooms have been modernised; they are bright, comfortable and very clean. The maid service was excellent, while we were at breakfast our rooms would be freshened up.

We stayed half board; there was a warm welcome at breakfast and dinner each day and the waiters were very attentive. Breakfast included a buffet with lots of choice and to follow a fresh cooked breakfast of your choice. Dinner was three courses with three choices at least per course. The food was delicious!

The facilities at the hotel are brilliant; lovely grounds for a stroll, lots of comfortable outside seating and a fabulous pool with Jacuzzi. The bar area is nice to relax in on an evening with regular entertainment. We hired a car which in my opinion is the best way to explore Jersey, however there are lots of nice walks close to the hotel and the walk down to the seafront is nice.

A final note to the staff; Matthew, Jonathan and the team are so helpful and will take the time to talk to their guests at various points throughout a stay. I am sure we will be back at the Westhill in the near future.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank tykechick
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Visited for two night whilst on work. I was lucky enought to get a garden facing room (albeit I had what seemed miles to walk, up down corridors). The room was...tired, but hey. I didn't come for the decor. It was clean and had everything I needed. Staff were all excellent, especially the young lad who recommended the local beer (Mary Ann [the beer, not the staff member]). Food was good but portions erring on the small side. My ONE niggle...when I ordered, I received my first course within 1 minute. I know hotels pre-prep, or I could have been lucky and could have been given somebody's elses (?!) enroute, but it does slightly put you off.
Did I enjoy my stay...yes. would I go back...yes. Oh, one other thing...IMPROVE the wifi. Only available in reception/bar area. Not ideal when needing to work.
Ps recommend the walk in to Saint Helier, lovely.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Myself and my mother have stayed in this hotel many times previously but hadn't visited since about 2005. As it's a milestone birthday year for her, she wanted to return to Jersey and take the whole family. It was a no-brainer that we go back to Westhill, a family run hotel that we know and trust to provide us with a great stay. Our holiday was almost ruined when the travel company we booked with went under, but despite this and our replacement booking not being registered with the hotel, Matthew & Co did their absolute utmost to reassure us they would find room for us. With 7 of us staying this was a big ask, but we were quickly housed in 5 double bedrooms between us...plenty of space!

After the initial hiccup, our holiday was fantastic. We all enjoyed the outdoor jacuzzi and the kids swam in the heated pool almost every day. The food was lovely and our waiter, Julio, was very hospitable and kind, helping whenever we had any extra requests.

Overall, it was so nice to be able to go back to Jersey with the whole family after recommending it to them for many years, and have them enjoy themselves as much as me and my mother always have. As expected Westhill contributed largely to this, and I hope we don't leave it as long to book our next visit!

Thanks again,

The Fitzpatricks & Chilcrafts

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Kirsty2989
Reviewed 2 June 2014

A very pleasant and unexpected find, upon arrival we were greated but extremely friendly staff who showed us to our room, we then spend nearly 2 days sat in the very stunning gardens beside the equally stunning poolside.
We will definitely be looking to return to the hotel, we didnt feel pushed or hassled or an inconvenience in anyway, even when we had a 5 hour wait for our flight home.

Thank you so much to all the staff for a amazing and very relaxing weekend.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Saradavies02
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We booked the hotel after reading several very positive reviews. Following our stay, we feel there were an equal number of positive points and criticisms, which results in the 'average' rating from us. Our thoughts are summarised below:

PROS:
* The welcome we initially received upon arrival at the hotel was warm, and whenever we had a question, the staff were very helpful.
* The hotel gardens are beautiful, and we were particularly impressed with the outdoor hot tub - we were the only people to brave it during the particularly dismal weather that unfortunately plagued our visit!
* Breakfast was promptly served, and was of good quality.

CONS:
* Although the location of the hotel is peaceful and picturesque, and we enjoyed the stroll to get there, the fact remains that it is a good 30 minute walk up a steep hill from the centre of St. Helier. The hotel do offer a limited complimentary shuttle bus service into town, however.
* Whilst we were aware that hotel rooms are not cheap in Jersey, for £66 a night we were still a little underwhelmed by the slightly dated and basic nature of the room. It was very clean though, so no complaints in that respect.
* This is perhaps a trivial issue, but when we went down for breakfast on the morning of our departure, and gave our room number to the older gentleman who greeted us, there was an awkward moment where he questioned whether there were two people booked into that room or not. Ultimately, this didn't cause a problem, but being two men who were booked into a double room together, this made us feel uncomfortable that this had been highlighted and questioned.

Room Tip: We paid an extra £5 for a garden view room, and this was worth doing.
Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple