“Will definitely return to the Westhill”

Westhill Country Hotel
Ranked #11 of 31 Hotels in St Helier
Reviewed 18 May 2009

Best hotel that we have stayed in on Jersey by a long way!

Everything from the food, the room, the location, the hospitality and the courtesy and friendliness of the staff is a credit to the owners.

The following are two examples of the personal touch this hotel gives; firstly, my wife celebrated her 50th birthday during our stay and was presented with a fabulous cake and a chorus of Happy Birthday from fellow guests, led by the wonderful Nelo, the restaurant manager, a memorable moment.

And secondly, even though I was the only person in the hotel who wanted to play golf during the week we went, John, the co-owner, still took the time out to take me for a thoroughly enjoyable round at the top class Les Mielles golf club (apart from catching him on day when he played about 3 or 4 shots below his Handicap!!)

Marvellous!!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank RAD-50

Reviewed 5 May 2009

Situated on the outskirts of St. Helier and set in large grounds with swimmingpool and hot tub. Good views as it is slightly uphill. The house is large with a very attractive dining room. Also ballroom, bar and garden room. Bedrooms are not large but well furnished and VERY comfortable beds. Spotlessly clean.
The food was plentiful and a good choice on the menu.
A mini bus ran every 2 hours into town and back (free) and the local service bus every hour from a stop about 3 minutes walk away.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Travellinglight25
Reviewed 27 April 2009

I must admit that after booking this Hotel I had misgivings because it was a 2 star hotel.However when we arrived we were surprised by what we found.
Very clean and tidy, large grounds and wild life to view. Swimming pools and hot tub.
The food and service was excellent, Nelo and his staff excel to give you the best of service.
Free bus to St Helier was very useful as it takes about 45 miniutes to walk at a reasonable pace to St Helier.You feel vert safe and people mostly are very helpful.
Standard of driving is vastly better than on the mainland.
Room was spotless, and the linen was changed daily.
My comment to the owners was that I could not understand why only 2 stars as many 3 star Hotels on the mainland should not be rated as 3 stars.
Would we stay again, yes definitely

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pastorjohnwales1
Reviewed 12 August 2008

Third visit to the Westhill and certainly won't be our last! Again, we were met with friendly staff and excellent food and accommodation. Matthew and Jonathan can't do enough for you and the entertainment has something for both young and old alike. The hotel certainly isn't 'shabby' as in a previous review and although the hotel is quite a way out of town they do provide free of charge a courtesy bus about 5 times a day which is really useful. They also organise a golfing day which hubby certainly enjoyed!

Stayed: July 2008
1  Thank AlltheBarrs
Reviewed 5 July 2008

Took my dad who is 80 & me 46 to jersey for a 3 day break on 1st July 2008, Choose this hotel because of it central location on island & pool easy enough to find after only miss turn. Its quite a large impressive building ample free parking grounds are perfect well kept gardens best i have ever seen large pool plus Jacuzzi , you can obtain towels from reception mass of lougers & chairs, plenty things for children to do with play area. We had sandwiches here 1st day in garden with pots of tea was really pleasant .Public areas are clean well maintain with plenty of seats, arranged in 3 separate areas. Rooms are very dated and do need improving but everything is clean we had rooms with views over the lovely gardens, as this is a old hotel you also hear every foot step on all corridors the floor boards & pipes do creek & walls are also a little thin so I could hear more than i wished to??.But overall was not a problem as we only showered & slept there rest of time we was out exploring. (I would stay here again).
The restaurant is spotless quiet old fashioned excellent breakfast try the hot Porridge with prunes & juice humm excellent, Evening meal is 5 course but we had two sweets instead of two starters, the food is ok in a old fashioned style all vegs are done in butter but you wont starve and its all fresh, There is a restaurant manager that shakes your hand every time he see,s you quite funny really but he is doing a great job of running the restaurant. They also lay on a free bus to st-hellier 5 times a day, There is entertainment every other night might be more in season, we had a guitarist one night. I hired a car & I think I managed to cover 85% of the island there is loads to see and the coastline is beautiful we brought sandwiches from supermarket for lunch worked out much cheaper in restaurants we was looking at £30 quid for two with drinks etc was £8 quid from supermarket plus we ate on beaches lovely. Hotel is in a great location as you can drive in any direction to any part of island. There is a old guy of 86 who runs a bargain junk shop on cannon street in st-hellier that’s worth a visit just to talk to him he is quite a character wears a red bandier pony tail denim jacket etc . Only have 3 complaints they have 3 massive dogs they are friendly & children love them but I am allergic to some dog hairs and they run free around the hotel. second is there is no air con and even with windows open its very hot is the rooms we was facing the gardens even at night, and lastly there is a constant faint repetitive noise all day & night coming from over the hill think its a waste factory my dad being 80 and quite deaf never noticed it ut if did stop me from sleeping but on the 4th night I was used to it a slept great, Non of the above would put me off staying here again I really did enjoy it. hope this helps some one and have a great time.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank flufffy
Reviewed 23 June 2008

Having last stayed in Jersey 14 years ago we decided to take our 11 year son to experience this beautiful island. We picked the Westhill because it seemed a good alround family hotel and the weekly golf trip was a plus for my golf playing son. I checked with the owners beforehand to ensure he would be able to go, and they even offered to lend him some clubs. The golf trip went ahead even though there were no other visitors wanting to go and my son had a great time.
The hotel has been refurbished since previous visitors comments re decor etc and we could not fault anything with our stay. The bedroom accommodation was fine, the gardens and swimming pool were lovely with loads of space, alternative entertainment by way of DVDs was put on for the children and we had a thoroughly enjoyable time.
We were fully aware that the hotel was on a steep hill about 15/20 mins walk from St Helier but the hotel runs a courtesy minibus throughout the day. We found the hotel staff very pleasant as well as the owners who were visible all day for any assistance. The food was very good and having intended to try other restaurants we did not feel the need to go anywhere else.
Visitors ranged from families to elderly couples all who seemed to be enjoying themselves.
We fully intend to return to this hotel in the future.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family