“Excellent service, clean rooms and fantastic food”

Westhill Country Hotel
Ranked #12 of 32 Hotels in St Helier
birmingham, uk
“Excellent service, clean rooms and fantastic food”
Reviewed 29 January 2010

I was fortunate enough to stay at the Westhill Hotel in Sept 07, after rearranging the booked trip due to my grandad having an operation in May the same year. The owners, Matt and Johnathon were so helpful in rearranging the stay for us. My grandad had wanted to visit Jersey for decades and was not in a position when my nan was alive to take the trip as nan wouldn't fly or travel on the ferry. Sadly grandad passed away last March, but I'm so glad mom, my auntie and myself have the memory of our stay at Westhill Hotel with grandad to treasure. Grandad had reduced mobility problems so were were on the ground floor and used the lane at the back to access the grounds. The food was obviously local and fresh produce and there was always enough choice to please all four of us. My grandad was a very fussy eater and he loved the food on offer. The entertainment was fantastic and the relaxed atmoshphere of the bar and room overlooking the gardens suited us. The management went out of their way to make us feel welcome. We were fortunate to stay on a weekend when the owners were holding a barbeque fundraising event for learning dissabilities and thoroughly enjoyed the event, which we were encouraged to join in on the proceedings. The grounds are beautiful and relaxing, the rooms are spotless and the staff are very helpful. Our waitress was eastern european (I forget which nationality) and very able to communicate with us and attend to our needs. The staff were attentive and friendly and management, as I say were very helpful when we had to rearrange dates due to grandad's operation. Thank you Westhill Hotel for making one of our last holidays with grandad so memorable and happy. I am returning to Jersy alone this year and woul not consider staying anywhere else. In fact I can't quite believe that with the beautiful grounds and amazing food that Westhill has only a 2 star rating. I fully recommend staying here. I can only assume the honeymooning couple with dietary requirements were looking for fault as all we spoke to during our stay were satisfied with the service they recieved.

• Stayed September 2007
1 Thank chelcarter68

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Wales
Reviewed 4 October 2009

My husband and I returned yesterday from our holiday at the Westhill Hotel. Our room was spacious, clean and comfortable. The food was excellent (and I'm fussy!). Obviously fresh meat and local, fresh vegetables were used. Menus were imaginative and varied and were eagerly scanned each morning by residents who looked forward to the generous and tasty offerings being prepared for the evening meal. Without exception, the owners and staff did everything possible to make our stay happy and comfortable. The hotel is situated in lovely gardens surrounded by trees and fields on the edge of the town. A free hotel bus throughout the day provides easy access to the central bus station in St. Helier. I have already recommended this hotel to a neighbour who intends to visit Jersey next year.

• Stayed October 2009
2 Thank jeanbarryWales
west yorkshire
Reviewed 3 October 2009

We holidayed at the Westhill hotel in September along with 4 friends. This was not our first visit and certainly won't be our last. Having just read the review by the digestively challenged honeymooner I can't help but wonder if we stayed at the same hotel. One of our party is a notoriously faddy eater and I can tell you he enjoyed every meal that was served up to us. The quality of the foot was consistently good and the service excellent. The Maitre D was never less than charming and helpful, as were all the restaurant staff and I have to say that I found his remark about the Eastern European waitress and the green potato quite offensive.

The very fact that he began his review by talking about the "steep hill" rather set the tone I felt. Obviously nothing was going to please him. The setting of the hotel, the fantastic gardens, the surround countyside delight all who stay there. If there are better hotel gardens in Jersey I would like to see them. We have never ever smelt sewage in the hotel grounds and I certainly never head anybody else complain that they had either. The big chimney is a fact of life and of course the hotel gardens will be even more attractive when this is demolished in 2 years time. I have never heard anybody say that this spoiled their holiday though.

As for the Smale family, well they can never do enough to help you. Again they are one of the reasons why people return year after year. Every guest is made to feel most welcome.

Finally I wonder why he feels the need to insult his fellow guests by commenting on their appearance and habits. Perhaps because they were actually enjoying their holiday and not looking to find fault at every turn.

Keep up the good work Matt and John, fortunately this gentleman is in a minority of one!!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank leonardolawn
jersey
Reviewed 29 September 2009

We had our wedding reception at the Westhills. Sixty of our family and friends stayed there during our wedding week.
This hotel and it´s staff were amazing and made our wedding day something really special.
They were all so happy to help us. My lovely new husband is a chef and I know the food would be an issue for him. The Westhills head chef ,Dave didnot disappoint us the food was awesome thank you.
Johnathan was a great wedding planner for the hotel. He always returned my calls and said yes to all our crazy requests.
The head receptionist Dana was really kind and helpful to us.
I loved the atmosphere in this hotel ever since we went there first in May 2008.
I dragged my poor husband round every wedding venue in Jersey and we came back to Westhills. Mainly because they were so friendly and helpful.
Special thanks to Johnathan, Dana, Lena and Dave.
Sorry I dont know eveyones names but thank you very much. You all worked as a wonderful team making our whole experience with this hotel exceptional.
Thank you Maggie and Harry 18th september 2009

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
6 Thank maggieandharry
Hampshire
Reviewed 28 September 2009

We were not initially disuaded by comments about the very steep hill upon which this hotel was positioned. Upon getting there we found roads that would have been a challenge to a Rally Driver but we had already hired a car so this gave us the freedom of the island. The location looked good at first and the Red Squirrels and Jersey Cows in the grounds and the neighbouring field did add a certain charm.
As did the hotel gardens, until we saw the neighbours. Noneother than Jersey's Municipal Refuse Disposal Site and Incinerator. I went down a well trodden path to investigate and it is obvious most residents have discovered this while walking round the hotels lovely gardens. There was also a distinct niff of human sewage in the air. Subsequent research on Google Earth revealed Jersey's main sewage treatment works was also co-located. We saw large numbers of guests complaining to both reps and staff, but neither seemed to care abot the issue. We are amazed not many people have complained or blogged this issue as Google Earth is public record.

However we saw the hotel did have some good points e.g. good swimming pools, a superb hot tub and two delightlfully soft and soppy Bernese Dogs (AKA St Bernards), so we carried on.

Point of information before continueing. I am a Coeliac. I have a medical need for Gluten Free Food. Eating anything containing gluten could make me seriously ill.
We chose this hotel on the basis of the majority of good reviews and that we were promised by the hotel prior to booking that they were more than capable of catering for my needs. To double check we called the hotel a week prior to departure and were reasured they knew what they were doing, a "don't worry. Leave it all to us" attitude.

First night, the Maitre D told us we had not given them sufficient notice (4 months notice plus a week reminder evidently isn't enough). The waitress had not been briefed and her English was very basic so she found it hard to understand my allergy or my trying to carefully explain my requirements. On the first night the Maitre D refused point blanc to check the food or read any labels for us, so I spend the first night of my honeymoon, the most important holiday of my life wondering whether was playing a kind of culinary Russian Roulette and whether the health insurance would become more than an expensive piece of paper. We were utterly astonished when the Maitre D got angry with us over our demanding the food we had been explicitly promised. My wife was upset at our treatment, I was furious. Not a romantic mood I think.
Two days in the promised food materialised. But every day for the rest of the break it was a constant fight to get the food I needed, not the relaxing break we needed. We even overheard another guest say the management reckoned we were trouble makers.

All we wanted was food that wouldn't land me in hospital. The food my wife ate was nothing to write home about. Tinned fruit salad, freshly defrosted meat and fish that had had all the flavour cooked out of it, a rubbery steak, a bone dry turkey escalope, overcooked vegetables, watered down juice, limp and skinny sauces out of a tin the list goes on.
But, the absolute piece de Resistance, and you would want to resist this, is that every night we got served at least one GREEN POTATO. I.e. poisonous. Our waitress couldn't understand why we were so upset. Evidently in the part of Eastern Europe she came from they are a delicacy, in the same vein that Fugu Fish is a delicacy in Japan.

But then I suppose cleanliness is not a problem at this hotel. This was amply demonstrated by the strawberry and melon salad we had, that tasted of soap suds or washing up liquid or similar. Being the last night we didn't see the point in telling our waitress. Plus we had cleansed our palates and filled our bellies with some excellent FRESH LOCALLY CAUGHT fish and seafood in one of the restaraunts in St Helier's central market. A side, anyone visiting Jersey should see the central markets. The fresh fish, meat and produce just has to be seen to be beleived, quality, quantity, variety and value all in one area.

Then of course there was the after dinner coffee. I have had a few coffees in my time but I have never tasted coffee as bad as this. We had requested decaff as I am sometimes a light sleeper but I am pretty certain the last night I have the hard stuff as I couldn't sleep at all.

To be fair many of the customers do seem to enjoy the food and we overheard many seem to come back year after year. But none of them seem to have any special food needs. Quite suprising considering the average age, weight and physical condition of them.

Our experience was not unique. The couple on the table next to us also had one Coeliac and found it just as difficult to get the food they needed.

Rounding off. We obviously will not be returning due to their complete incompetence and unwillingness to cope with special dietry needs. We don't like to complain. This is the first time either of us has ever officially complained. But we felt strongly enough to file an official complaint at the Jersey Tourist Office, whom are taking it very seriously. We are also complaining to Thomas Cook our tour company.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PeppyLePew
WesthillCountryHotel, Owner at Westhill Country Hotel, responded to this review, 2 October 2009
The hotel has been owned and run by the Smale family for the past 40 years. The incinerator / sewage treatment is located in the valley of Bellozanne, and we never have had a (smell) problem from the plants. Mr Leroux states that he saw large number of guests complaining to reps and staff about the issue, what nonsense! ! ! ! ! . Mr Leroux would approach the reception staff every morning regarding his Coeliac diet and they would discuss the dinner menu with him. He also met our Head chef and discussed his requirements with him, a service that we have provided for many years.

REGARDING THE FOOD
Our fresh fruit salad consists of tin fruit cocktail, and added are (apples, grapes, kiwi, melon and pineapple all fresh fruit) He states that our catering is below par, well I have news for him, we have had nothing but compliments and thank you letters through out this season and past season's praising our food, service, cleanliness and that our staff provide a service with a smile to enhance the holiday of our hotel guests.

It is a shame that Mr Leroux did not approach me while on holiday and yet he found the time to go to St Helier to complain to Jersey Tourism , and then write his comments on Trip Advisor.

Matthew Smale
Director.
cheshire
Reviewed 17 September 2009

stayed here for the first time although have been visiting jersey for 30 years or more..but what a find. it has a great atmosphere..refurbished to a very high standard ( apart from a rather gloomy ballroom which we guess is next in line to be brought up to date).
nothing was too much trouble from a friendly, courteous and welcoming staff.
Hands on owners always make a difference but in this instance 'wow' do Matthew and Jonathan keep this hotel at the top.
spotlessly clean, excellent food and facilities indoor and out, and especially out with superb pool, steam bath, pool table, table tennis. catering cabin and childrens swings with expansive gardens.
bedrooms are roomy, comfy beds,ensuite bath/shower, tv and tea/coffee tray- nicely decorated and cared for. public rooms are warm and friendly and spacious. service is first class and reception can never do enough if asked.
although on the outskirts of St Helier and up the hill the hotel runs its own bus into the town centre ,there is a local bus service at the top of the drive and there is more than ample parking if you have your own car...THIS IS A REAL JEWEL IN JERSEY
can't wait to go back.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank cheshirecat10
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 September 2009

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights from the 5th September in room 34 (superior single room) on half board basis.
On arrival we were met with a lovely welcome and a porter took our bags to the room
The room i had was a superior single room which had a double bed, dressing table, cupboard, chest of drawers, lamp and full size mirror in. It was clean and spacious. The bathroom had a bath with shower over it again very clean.
The rooms have tea and coffee making facilities and a hairdryer.
The hotel itself is set in lovely grounds has a nice garden, pool, pool bar and jacuzzi. There is entertainment on 4 or 5 nights a week whilst we were there they had a guitarist, magician and a quiz night.
The food was fantastic and so were all the staff in the restaurant. The breakfast was a buffet for cereals, fruit, croissants etc then you could order a full english.
The evening meal was 5 courses (2 starter, main meal, dessert & coffee) and the menu very varied and food always lovely.
The thing that strikes you about this hotel is how friendly everyone is the staff and the owners always make the effort to talk. Nothing is ever too much trouble and its the little touches that make all the difference. They have newspapers in reception for people in the mornings and you can get pool towels when you like from reception.
The location is up a large hill and a little way from town but due to the hotels courtesy bus this is no problem. The bus goes to town at 10am, 12pm, 2pm, 4pm & 6pm and picks up at ten past.
Also there is ample parking at the hotel if you have a hire car.
The hotel was such a nice atmosphere due to the friendliness of all the staff and because of its location was very peaceful and relaxing.
The only thing to mention is the hotel doesnt have a lift and therefore may not be suitable for anyone with walking difficulties.
From the garden to the bar there is 5 steps from the bar to reception 2 or 3 steps and about 10 steps to the first floor.
Any questions feel free to PM me, i would happily recommend the Westhill to anyone.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
#6 of 32 in St Helier
Pomme d'Or Hotel
Pomme d'Or Hotel
#4 of 32 in St Helier

Been to Westhill Country Hotel? Share your experiences!