“An excellent hotel with staff to match”

Fort d'Auvergne Hotel
Ranked #17 of 32 Hotels in St Helier
“An excellent hotel with staff to match”
Reviewed 6 May 2012

We stayed at the hotel for 5nights on bed and breaki. The hotel was very warm and welcoming. The choice on offer at breakfast was excellent! It included: english cooked breakfast, cheeses, croissants, toast, yogurts, prunes grapefruit etc. We ate dinner in the restaurant on 2 occasions and found the food to be of a good quality with a reasonable choice on offer. Our bedroom was of a good size with a nice en suite, the tv in the bedroom however was small, too high up and very old. The hotel indoor pool is very relaxing and it is of a good size and spotlessly clean throughout. The island bus service is one of the best we have ever seen or used, the bus picks up right out side the hotel every 20mins or so and goes to the town. If going to jersey we would recommend the gorey castle and the war tunnels. Overall we had a wonderful time in jersey and the hotel was excellent the staff were very attentive and helpful, mr heron is worth a mention as we found him very helpful and charming. A clean hotel with good food and great service. We will recommend to friends and family.

• Stayed May 2012
6 Thank jenreviewss

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
Cardiff- Wales
Reviewed 28 April 2012

What a lovely hotel. Location is great for a walk into town (10 minute walk if you`re happy to walk through the tunnels) otherwise the bus stops right outside the hotel every 20 minutes.

There is an indoor heated swimming pool which we used a couple of times throughout the week which was clean and had a view out onto the sea. We did have a look at the outdoor sea pool but definitely too cold this time of the year although spotted one of the locals having a swim!

Definitely recommend paying a bit extra to get a sea view to take advantage of the uninterrupted views of the sea .

The staff are very friendly and helpful and go out of their way to make sure you enjoy your stay.

Didn`t stay for meals at the hotel as we prefer to go out in the evenings however the menus looked pretty good with three choices of main meals to choose from (including one vegetarian option each night). Price was £16.95 for a three course meal which for Jersey is good value for money.

Breakfast offered a variety of cereals, yoghurts and toast as well as traditional English cooked breakfasts on a help yourself buffet basis. I agree with other reviewers that coffee and tea would probably be better served by the waiting staff to the tables as there were a lot of elderly people at the hotel who were struggling a bit with few near misses of hot water. Also make sure you get there early!

We did a lot of exploring whilst in Jersey and used the bus a lot (tip: make sure you get a bus timetable from the bus station in St Helier) and went to Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust, the maritime museum in St Helier, took the land train out to St Aubin and visited Living Legend.

If you don`t fancy eating all your meals in the hotel there is a lovely Italian restaurant called Nelsons Eye pretty much next door to the hotel (turn left as you come out). The restaurant has recently opened under new ownership and offers good value for money.

Room Tip: Opt for a high level room if possible as other reviewers have commented floor boards are a bit creak...
5 Thank holidaymaker1980
ManagerJersey, Manager at Fort d'Auvergne Hotel, responded to this review, 3 May 2012
Thank you for your kind review of the Fort d'Auvergne.

We do feel that our marine location is quite exceptional. Jersey has the second highest tidal range in the world at 40ft and this means that the tide can recede a long way from the hotel but rise, on certain days, to surround the hotel on two sides. This provides fascination for many of our guests.

The area of the shore around the hotel is a RAMSAR site, designated as a wetland of International importance. This designation applies to much of the South East coast of Jersey.

We trust that this information will be of interest. Thank you.
Watford
Reviewed 20 April 2012

This hotel is confortable and clean. All the staff are friendly and helpful. they are more than happy to go out of their way to make your stay a memerable one. The Swimming Pool is clean and was used every day by me and my husband. The hotel is well situated on the sea frount and prime location for use of the beach. Only a short walk walk from the town centre and also on a bus route. Room are basic but clean and tidy. Food is good. Good for couples, families and the older generation.

5 Thank bin218
Doncaster
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Ideal sea front location. Friendly helpful staff in all departments. Good food. Clean rooms. Comfortable suroundings. An indoor heated swimming pool and a regular bus service from outside the hotel. What more could a holiday maker ask for ?

Room Tip: Second floor with sea view. Room 33 Double, 31 Twin
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Edwin B
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2012

as stated in recent reviews ,needs updating,but spotlessly clean and pleasant staff,we stayed in room 24 which as previous review said was lovelly except our creaky floorboards,found myself trying to find best route around room to avoid them,but the worst one was right where the loo was,oh well we had a laugh anyway.only concern was layout at breakfast ,could be scary watching some people carry hot beverages to tables,past people sitting.would be better to serve tea ,coffee etcand toast to tables by waiting staff .(just a thought) some fantastic places to visit on island.turn right out of hotel ,cross over road and 1st left roseville bistrolooks small outside but is big inside ,best steak ever,although bus takes you around ,we found some pretty spots as we went on tiny little lanes not big enough for bus.plane journey only 40 mins and hastle free.

Room Tip: upgrade to balcony room if possible,they have 2 chairs and table,and are very big .
3 Thank Sandra W
Surrey
Reviewed 13 April 2012

My husband and I stayed here over Easter visiting family in Jersey. Being Jersey born it was odd to visit and stay in one of the hotels and view myself as a tourist, but at least I had the benefit of knowing where all the hotels were to ensure I stayed at one close to town and my family.

The location was excellent, right on the seafront and only 10-15 mins walk from the town. There is no parking which I hadn't appreciated, so if you were hiring a car it would be a bit of a pain. We booked a seafront room online, which I think was in the region of £75 a night B&B. I did request a quiet room away from the restaurant, bar, walkways at the time of booking. I would think the pricing is based on the location, as the hotel, whilst very clean and well run, is quite basic in means, as you will have read from previous reviews. If you are all about a room with a view and not too fussed on the size of the TV provided, or the decor, then this hotel is a good choice.

However...on to the negatives.... We were originally placed in a room that had visitors on either side of us and above and below (room 18). The walls were paper thin, I kid you not. I knew that on one side we had French neighbours and on the other someone with a UK northern accent....so you could pretty much hear everything. Then above us we had the constant creaking floorboards so that everytime they got up to use the toilet in the middle of the night we were awakened first by the creaks and secondly by the flushing toilet. I knew I couldn't stay in this room if I wanted to get any chance of a good nights sleep. After letting reception know our predicament they immediately looked at moving us but was unable to offer us an alternate room until the following day, which meant another nights sleep in this room. As the room they were offering was an upgrade to a balcony suite we were thankful and agreed we would let them know the next day. Everyone at reception was extremely helpful and completely sympathetic to our plight. I think the manager we spoke to may have been Phillip Heron, who others have also left good feedback on.

So, after another terrible nights sleep and early morning wake up the manager kindly advised us to back our bags and they would be moved once the room was cleaned to room 24, a balcony suite. And what a difference this made, ok the floors were slightly creaky still and we could still faintly hear our neighbours but in comparison with the previous room this was nothing. The room was a lot bigger, it had a wonderful sea view (with the exception of the incinerator that has been built in view of the sealine - why would Jersey do that?!!) had the equivalent of a king bed (two twins attached together) and had a good size bathroom with shower over bath. I can't speak for any of the other rooms, but judging on the age of the hotel I would say that the sound proofing would be similar all over the hotel. I advise anyone staying here to book one of the balcony suites as it made the world of difference to our stay.

You can ask at reception for a hairdryer as they are not kept in rooms as standard, and also for an iron and ironing board.

The breakfast had a lot of choice but was ok, not wonderful. Dependant on when you eat dictated what was left. They didn't tend to fill up much after 9am unless prompted (breakfast from 8am-10am). Sometimes there would be baked beans, other days mushrooms, sometimes there would be hot croissants, othertimes the basket would stay empty.

I've stayed at a lot of hotels, mostly in the states, so I have a lot of hotels to compare against one another, and have tried to be fair on my review based on the value for money and location. There are a lot of hotels to choose from in Jersey and the other newer hotels with a similar location were far more expensive, so in terms for value for money in Jersey, this is probably top of the range but acceptable pricing. I'm not sure of the rating of this hotel but I don't think it claims to be anything other than what it is.

There is an indoor pool, I never used it, but the reviews indicate it was good.

All in all I had a good stay at this hotel, made better by the fantastic customer service offered by the hotel staff. It is rare that people in customer services these days acutally offer that, so it was nice to see someone taking pride in their job.

Would I stay here again? I'm not sure to be honest, as next time I visit I would probably think about bringing the car and staying in self catering. Would I recommend the hotel? If you want a hotel that is reasonably priced, close to town and near the seafront, and you don't mind the basic hotel amenities and the insufficient sound proofing then yes. My advice would be to pack some ear plugs if you can't afford the balcony suite : )

Room Tip: Balcony suite room 24 a good choice. Avoid room 18 if you are a light sleeper (depends on how many...
4 Thank TheGupsters
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Just returned home after spending a week here! The hotel was just what we wanted and was only a short walk to the town. staff were most helpful and very polite nothing was ever too much trouble. Our room was very basic but met our needs, the swimming pool was very clean and was always quiet. The island was very interesting and had many lovely walk, the weather could have been better however not bad for april. we will return next year and recommend to friends and family. Thank you for a great holiday

• Stayed April 2012