“Nice Stay”

Ranked #14 of 32 Hotels in St Helier
Rugby
“Nice Stay”
Reviewed 1 December 2011

Having stayed at this hotel in the summer for a week I would like to share a few thoughts.I found the location perfect, particularly as I wished easy access to the town of St Hellier, a short walk away. I was allocated a Premier room on the 1st floor which was spacious, well equipped and comfortable. Noise was kept to a minimum which was suprising since we were near the lift and overlooking the car park and kitchens.Meals were very good, plenty of food with nice friendly staff, particularly the restaurant manager.The public areas, bar, dinning room and pool area were well equipped, with attentive staff. Breakfast is on a buffet service basis, and may not be to everyones taste, but was certainly plentiful.I have no complaints and was somewhat suprised as some of the previous reviews regarding floorboards etc, this was not the case on my visit. A well run friendly hotel,good service, and will definately be back. Thank you Hampshire, and Chris, the proprietor, you have got this right!.

Room Tip: Premier room would be best.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Timlawfordheath

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2011

We only stayed one night recently in mid November. Very impressed, when we went down to the bar and restaurant, we were amazed how bright, fresh and brights it all was. The two previous nights which we stayed at a 5* spa hotel via Groupon. Do you know, would have rather stayed at this hotel all three nights. Next time will ask owner to finish our crossword!!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank valeriegrant
Northamptonshire
Reviewed 15 October 2011

Having recently visited the Hampshire we found this a very friendly, clean hotel. We opted for a Premier room which had lots of space, very clean, large bathroom and comfy bed. The hotel is ideal as it is within 10 minutes of the town centre for shops and restaurants, but we did however stay at the hotel for all our meals. The food was excellent and the bar very relaxing so at the end of the day it was nice just to wander downstairs and move have to walk into town. The breakfasts we also very good as there is such a wide choice with something for everyone whether you want just cereal, fruit or full english. (even if you need to watch your weight which after having the 3 course evening). Although the weather sunny a little cool for lazing around the pool but this area looked great and I imagine in summer very nice. All staff were polite and friendly.

Room Tip: Premier rooms very spacious.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank VSHinde
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 October 2011

Arrived for a weekend break after a traumatic hospital stay for my Fiancee.
Was told a wedding was taking place and actually saw the groom and best man. Hotel staff denied saying this when we complained about the noise. Unable to sleep throughout our stay because of noise from other guests partying on two nights and excessive music from we think the kitchen area throughout the day. When we complained on checkout we were given £10 off our bill which we found insulting as it was done very sarcastically by the desk person. Noisy floorboards above as others have complained about. Awoken at around 04.50 by someone using the lift next to our room, staff denied this was them. Complained in writing to owner who basically sent a snotty letter back accusing us of lying. It's his staff who are the liars. Would not stay there free of charge again.

Room Tip: Don't sleep at the front as night staff will tell you to bang hard on the door to get in.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Ray G
ChrisR23, Manager at Hampshire Hotel, responded to this review, 13 October 2011
Dear Guest

I do acknowledge that I have had correspondence with yourself concerning your stay and as such I will not divulge details of that letter other than in conjunction with the issues you currently raise in this review.

Your comment about their being a wedding at the hotel (mentioned and answered in your original letter) is not true. There were guests staying at the hotel and they were attending an event elsewhere on the island. Although I would have no compunctions about holding weddings etc, the truth of the matter is that the hotel is not suitable in terms of layout and size to hold such events.

In addition, at no point did you make a comment about connecting the noise issue with these guests who were attending a wedding as you claim to be the case in the second sentence of your review.

With regard to the issue of your being kept awake, I can only apologise but as there was no excessive noise we would only have investigated if a complaint had been received and then the Night Porter would have dealt with the situation accordingly. Sadly like most hotels we have some loose floorboards which will be dealt with in the immediate future. In fact we have started the process of addressing the floorboards and this will hopefully be completed in the next few months.

The issue about your checkout and the £10 reduction was as a goodwill gesture and was not a reduction of your invoice due to your experiences as we were not made aware of this until we received your letter in September. The reduction was based on my decision to waiver the charge for the room service trays as you mentioned that your partner was not very well.

Your comment about our staff using the lift about 0450 is not true. Only two of our staff live on-site and they are in units located at the back of the kitchen area (and as such have their own access to and from the hotel). The only member of staff who would have been on duty at that time is the night porter and he does not use the lift. The likely scenario is that there will have been guests who might have had an early start and we apologise for this – but this is something out of our control.

You maintain that noise was caused by our staff, however, as previously mentioned one member of our kitchen staff will start work from 6:00am onwards and restauarant staff then arrive at 7am. The only staff members that will use the lift are our housekeeping team and they do not start work until 0800. The likelihood of them starting work 3 hours before then is ridiculous as there would be nothing for them to do.

The issue with the staff member who told you to bang on the door if arriving late is something that I did respond to at the time of your letter by informing you that the member of staff had been reprimanded and told to leave his sense of humour at home. However, yet again I apologise for the circumstances that occurred with regard to that incident. In addition, that member of seasonal staff is no longer working at the hotel.

Finally at no point in my initial reply did I infer that you were a liar (your wording), but I did feel the need to answer your comments and in particular your comment about the lack of care shown by myself to guests. The reply I gave is as follows:-

“I take great exception to your comment about my lack of care for the Hotel. Since I took over this hotel on the 1 February 2011, I and senior members of staff have worked tirelessly 7 days a week and for you to make comments like this I find disrespectful and without foundation”

However I do thank you for taking the time to post your review both the negative points and also I thank you for the positive points concerning the level of satisfaction you experienced in the restaurant which you neglect to mention in your review.

york
Reviewed 2 October 2011

Food great. Staff first class, Everthing else the carpets dirty. floorboards above loose and the noise squeaky boards awful I reported this and was told they will be fixed next year. Also noise from the sound system which I reported four times once at 10.45 pm. Will not be back.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank ronying
ChrisR23, Manager at Hampshire Hotel, responded to this review, 5 October 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments concerning your recent stay which I felt were constructive. However, I must take issue with your comment about the carpet by saying that as the season draws to a close it is inevitable that we will have issues with the carpets due to the room turnover in the main part of the season. We do try to shampoo the carpets as often as we can, but this is not always possible especially in the Premier and Superior rooms.

The issue with the creaking of floorboards is something I have been aware of since taking over the ownership of the hotel in February. However it was not possible in the 3.5 weeks available between getting into the hotel and opening for the season to be able to address the problem. However, this process has started to be addressed in the last few days and we hope to have this completed by Christmas.

However I do thank you for taking the time to review your stay

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 29 September 2011

We stayed at the Hampshire in August and can thoroughly recommend it. The staff were wonderful and so friendly - nothing was too much trouble for them and even with the long shifts they seemed to work, had a smile on their face at all times!
Loved the decor and the breakfast and restaurant food was yummy - the chef made us sandwiches several nights as we had a late lunch and that was much appreciated.
Fresh, clean towels daily and the Hotel was spotless and very well cared for.
Bit of a walk to the town centre but that was one of the reasons we stayed at the Hampshire, nice to be in a residential area.
Only downside was the poor soundproofing between rooms, we could hear the person next door snoring!
Congratulations to the staff and management.
Kathy and Allan Burns - Australia

Room Tip: We had room 46 which was a corner room and had two very large windows
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Kathy B
Brighton
Reviewed 26 September 2011

I read pretty much every review on this hotel and I have to say that it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. In all truthfulness it should be a 2 star not a 3 star. To get to the hotel we arranged for one of their shuttles which is £6 per person each way, taxi is about £20/£25 each way. The overall hotel appearance was nice, the welcome at reception was warm lovely lay out and they were very helpful. Do bare in mind this hotel is not suitable for any persons in a wheel chair or who has bad knees as there is no ramps, lift does not fit wheel chairs and lots of stairs. The twin room we stayed in No35 was at the end of a corridor and sadly was out of the free wifi range, nether the less the room was big, dated old wooden furniture, double and single bed plus and added room with 2 more single beds. Bathroom was fine the only let down was the shower was not pressured. Beds were good enough for a couple of nights and yes I do agree the floorboards are to thin as you can here everything. The breakfast was good covered everyones needs but the sausages were cheap. The bar itself is lovely and spacious but personal opinion a bit of colour would really give it a more wow factor. Just outside the hotel to the right is a small supermarket which was really handy. If you turn left out of the hotel and left at the first traffic lights town centre was about 10mins walk. We walked day and night everywhere no problems. Most bars closed at 11pm and we paid around £8/£9 for 2 alcoholic drinks. We did actually get the bus from town which you can find near the wharf, it was only £1.70 each way to Durrells zoo. This place is amazing and a must visit. Was around £20 to get in and the bus journey was only 20mins, catch the 3a,3b or 23. Oveall hotel stay was fine but a few fine tweaks would really give this place a much better feel.

• Stayed September 2011
3 Thank sa_hunny
ChrisR23, Manager at Hampshire Hotel, responded to this review, 5 October 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments concerning your recent stay which I felt were constructive. However, I must take issue with your comment about the hotel being no more than a 2 star hotel. At the start of the season we were graded by the AA and they gave us the grading of 3 stars. Although I am always looking to improve the hotel as and when things are brought to my attention, I feel that the grading is correct at this time.

I do thank you for your comments about the issues you had with the breakfast choices and as such the restaurant have now introduced Cumberland Sausages onto the menu as an additional choice as opposed to a like-for-like replacement.

With regard to your comment about less mobile people experiencing potential issues, I must point out that we do have level access at the rear of the hotel through the bar area and from that floor we have a lift (albeit it with limited space) that gives access to 3 floors and 29 of the 42 rooms.

However I do thank you for taking the time to review your stay