“Lovely stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 31 Hotels in St Helier
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Lovely stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2013

Stayed here for 1 week at beginning of April. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. Everywhere was very clean and tidy. There was a wedding reception at the Hotel but the owners made sure we were told and checked the following day that everything was OK. We upgraded to half board when we got there and the food was lovely both at breakfast and dinner.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jane J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2013 via mobile

Stayed here over Easter weekend. Never been to jersey before and saw this hotel and the reviews on trip advisor. Good choice for us, very clean, friendly helpful staff. The barman was very friendly and helpful recommending a local steak house and real ale pub. Would highly recommend the Hampshire and jersey to anyone wanting a break away. The weather could of been kinder and as it was Easter the main shops etc were closed but definately worth another trip in the summer. Thank you.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank staffssavychic
Canterbury,Kent.ENGLAND.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2013

We stayed at the Hampshire for our second stay in beautiful Jersey. We ended up staying here due to our original hotel choices being booked up so were given it as an option by our travel agent. Obviously we were a little nervous at booking a 7 night stay at a hotel we hadn’t researched but after staying here, they were a good choice. Staff were helpful, friendly and attentive, especially the staff on the reception desk. The hotel manager was very helpful, helping us with the wifi, and during one morning; he was happy to help break into my suitcase padlock when I’d locked my suitcase key in my suitcase (I was stressed to stay the least!) Thanks again to him. The location was a bit annoying for us (every evening we’d have to walk 15-20mins just to find a restaurant) however they did have convenience stores nearby which was handy. We had a bad experience one night which involved being woken up by rowing (and cursing!) young men from the back of the hotel; again this was probably due to the hotel’s location. Our superior room was clean, nicely decorated and a good size. My boyfriend would’ve liked a bigger TV though! The bed was comfortable and the breakfast menu was good with a variety of choices. We dined in the hotel’s restaurant a couple of times and the food was lovely. They will automatically add your food and drink bill to a tab so if you like to pay as you go (like us) make sure you say you’d rather pay there and then. Overall, we enjoyed our stay at The Hampshire.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank canterbury_chick
Binfield, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2013

I was booked into the Hampshire by my client and they are regular customers at the Hampshire, but unfortunately my experience is nothing like the other reviews :-( My room was grubby and smelt very musty and the pillows stank. I enclose pictures of the stained carpet, stained seats, stained curtains, the bottom of the bed and, worst of all, stained towels. The only good part of my stay was the breakfast, it was excellent. I stayed in room 28 so I would advise anyone to request to NOT stay in this room. Unfortunate experience as I do know the staff are very helpful and pleasant.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Janie30
ChrisR23, Owner at Hampshire Hotel, responded to this review, 29 March 2013
Dear Guest

I have today read your comments re your recent stay at the Hampshire Hotel and as such I felt compelled to reply after I checked the room in question.

Firstly, the bed should have had a valance but due to recent decoration I am afraid it was missed for your arrival. Your comments about the chair and curtains in my opinion are very unfair as there is a very minute mark on the chair and also on the curtain - which is hardly noticeable unless you look very closely. Unfortunately these cannot be removed anymore than they have been already - as we found out when the furnishings went for cleaning while the room was being re-decorated.

Obviously it is impossible for us to investigate the mark on the towel due to the fact that we ship all our laundry to a local contractor which also provides services to some of the 5 star hotels and the local hospitals. I have today advised the contract launderers and sent a copy your picture. I apologise for your dissatisfaction with the hotel however I feel that it would have been more practical if you had mentioned your complaints at the time of check-in or even on departure rather than retroactively on a review site.

However I do thank you for taking the time to point out these issues and thus enabling us to rectify the problems encountered. However I would have preferred the situation to have been resolved at the hotel and then this would have avoided your need to write what I consider to be a very unsavoury review

Chris Robin
Director
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2013

Cannot fault this hotel, we had a superior room and asked for a cot, huge room with a very large cot all ready made up on our arrival. Impeccably clean, bathroom could do with a bit of an update but fully functional and clean.

Staff were all so friendly and helpful, ample parking at rear of hotel. Food was very good, can recommend the restaurant for an evening meal. We had family come to visit us at the hotel for an evening meal and the staff could not have done more to welcome them. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank Hannahelane
Dawlish, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2013

Would thoroughly recommend this excellent hotel. Quiet, own parking and far enough out of the town centre to be away from the bustle while being just a ten minute walk from the beach. Very efficient and friendly staff made it a lovely stay.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank DawlishRed
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2012

We went for a weekend trip to the lovely island of Jersey. We decided for this hotel because of the decent price and the location which was easy walking distance to some of the main streets.

Driving to the hotel was not easy because of the many one way streets but I guess it is something you can get used to. There was free parking in the back of the hotel.

The check-in went well and we got some information about local attractions.

The room itself felt more like a flat than a hotel, which of course does not mean it is bad. The décor was nice and the bathroom was fairly small but enough for a weekend. One big minus was the lack of heating in the bathroom and in the winter it was way too cold.

The bed was comfortable and there was enough storage space to hang some of the clothes.
In the morning we had a visit from the little bug I assume it was one off but not very pleasant :(

In spite of some of the not so good experience I would return to the hotel. But not in the winter because it was way too cold in the bathroom.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Marcopolworld
ChrisR23, Owner at Hampshire Hotel, responded to this review, 6 December 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the hotel including the positive experience you had on check-in and subsequent requests for information.

I am sorry to hear that you had issues regarding the heating in the bathroom and in particular that we were not made aware of the issue so we could amend the situation accordingly.

In addition, I hope that the unfortunate situation which caused you to catch a bug was not too off-putting on your departure.

Nevertheless I thank you for taking the time to submit a review

Chris Robin