“Ok hotel in a reasonable spot”
Review of Hampshire Hotel

Hampshire Hotel
Ranked #13 of 31 Hotels in St Helier
Reviewed 30 September 2013

With hind sight I chose the wrong hotel, the hotel itself was ok, the public rooms very fresh and modern looking, but behind the scenes needs some attention, carpets shabby and worn, stains on chair upholstery in the bedroom even though our room had supposedly had a "makeover" by this I think they meant it had been painted and had new bed linen and possibly curtains. Having said that , the bed was comfortable and the room was clean, apart from the carpet and chairs.I had upgraded to a superior room which was worth doing for the extra space, there was a double bed and 2 singles in our room, 1 single being in a little annexe off the main bedroom(I assume it was a family room) most of the staff were very friendly, helpful and professional especially the waiters and waitresses at breakfast. Whatever you asked for was provided immediately with a smile.
Sorry I can't say the same for reception staff except for the "more mature" lady who was always very friendly and ready to chat whenever we passed through reception
The 2 younger female receptionists were very professional but lacked personality, reluctant to engage in conversation and, at worst gave me the impression I was a nuisance when I asked for a new kettle(ours was badly discoloured)
The 10 min stroll from the hotel to the town and seafront which other people have described is more like a 15/20 min hike at top speed, which we had to do several times to dodge the rain.
On a positive note, it was very quiet at night which meant we had good sleeping conditions.
Not very good (especially for people who have mobility problems) is the fact that you have to carry your cases down a flight of stairs before you can use the lift, then when you get out at your floor you have a few more steps to climb to get into the corridor your room is on

Room Tip: We had a room on the 3rd floor on the side away from the road which I had read in previous reviews t...
2  Thank Chris D
ChrisR23, Owner at Hampshire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2013

Dear Chris D

Thank you for taking the time to post a review, unfortunately it is difficult for me to fully respond as I am struggling to find your reservation as you have not said when you stayed or who you are.

I will attempt to comment where I can. You are correct in saying that one of our stair carpets is slightly worn it is due for replacement this winter, we are a very popular Hotel and have been very busy since early March and we will suffer from some ware and tear however I apologise if this in any way spoilt your stay.

We are constantly improving the Hotel but have never said we have had a recent makeover so I am not sure where this information has come from.

I am extremely sorry that you felt two of my reception staff were unfriendly I have now investigated this and both were not aware of being unfriendly but are very sorry if they gave that impression. I am very proud of my staff, I believe they are excellent and very happy working within a pleasant and friendly Hotel

Finally we are the first to admit that we are not wheelchair friendly purely due to the design of the Hotel we do not advertise this so I am unsure why you have made this comment.

It is a shame you did not approach me as I would have been more then pleased to help you we are sorry you felt that you were the wrong Hotel

Chris Robin

Reviewed 29 September 2013

For a one week stay in September I chose the Hampshire from Trip Advisor and it delivered everything required. It has parking and in Jersey thats a big plus,it is a 10 min walk into town,the room was large and airy,everything was spotlessly clean and the staff were helpful.But now for the clincher;
a big comfortable bar ajoins a restaurant that serves a three course dinner plus coffee and a home made chocolate for less money than you would pay in many pubs, cooked to a standard of quality and presentation that ought to see it in the good food guide.
I have some minor issues with maintenance,a cracked handbasin and a bathroom door that didn't shut,
but for comfort, convenience and great food its a winner

1  Thank alan s
Reviewed 26 September 2013

As usual checked Trip Advisor before booking and reviews pretty well spot on. Warm welcome and no fuss booking in. Room was spacious and very clean. Decor throughout the hotel was excellent and well maintained. Lovely little secluded pool area which was a real sun trap. (when it did shine). Food was also top class, good varied buffet breakfast, quality meals during the day although didn`t try the a la carte but never heard one complaint from the other residents. Staff all very hard working, nothing too much trouble them. Only down side was the lack of a view, we overlooked a supermarket car park, that said it isn`t a bad location, only a 10 minute stroll into the town centre. Another plus was the free wi-fi. A very pleasant stay and would recommend the Hampshire to anyone.

Room Tip: Probably a room overlooking the pool.
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights, arriving on 13th September and checking out on 15th. The purpose of the trip was a short break to celebrate our anniversary.

Before booking a hotel, as always, we checked Trip Advisor – the majority of the feedback for the Hampshire Hotel was very positive. We paid £80 per night, which included breakfast.

We travelled from Poole to St. Helier with Condor Ferries as foot passengers. This cost us £120 return (for both of us). We were surprised that the Catamaran stops briefly at St.Peter Port in Guernsey, as it wasn’t obvious from Condor’s website. This wasn’t an issue, and in fact was a pleasant surprise, although due to a delay getting along side the berth, we arrived in Jersey 30 minutes late.

Pricing on board the Catamaran for food was expensive – drinks were reasonable. It was nice to have allocated seats. There is a shop on-board supposedly selling newspapers and magazines, but on both journeys there were no newspapers.

On arrival in St.Helier, we decided to walk to the hotel which takes about 20 minutes – you can collect a free map in the main building at the port. Check in was smooth and the receptionist very helpful. We decided to eat in the hotel restaurant that night and booked a table – In fact, the food was so good that we ate there the following night too.

We stayed in room 40. It’s on the third floor. It was clean and spacious with an en suite (toiletries refreshed daily). It had TV and tea/coffee making facilities. The hotel has a small lift – supposedly for 4 persons. – although we feel that this is a tad optimistic and it would be a bit of a squeeze. It is also a bit ‘urgent’ when setting off and stopping, so don’t be alarmed!

The bar area is spacious and clean, the staff polite and the prices not too expensive for a hotel. To the rear of the bar is an outdoor heated swimming pool – we didn’t use it, as it wasn’t the best weather.

The food in the restaurant was excellent. They have a fixed menu (£18.95), which varies from day to day. We would definitely recommend the mussels. The service was brilliant – the staff were attentive, friendly and polite.

We took some time to explore the island. In our view the local bus (operates from Liberation Station – 15 mins walk) is the best and cheapest method. You can pick up a free timetable and the buses run regularly and were on time. There are two price structures, £1.20 and £1.70 (per person, each way). The latter relates to ‘long’ journeys (but this is anywhere on the island, so far as we could tell). We travelled to Gorey Bay on the Friday, with the intention of visiting Mont Orgueil Castle. On arrival (around 3:30) we discovered that it would cost us over £11 each, and especially as time was short, decided this was too expensive.

On Saturday we took the bus to the War Tunnels and then on to La Mare Wine Yard – both highly recommended. The tunnels cost £11.20 each for adults. The Wine yard tour and tasting was £9.50 each. Our only criticism of the Wine Yard was that we arrived early afternoon with the intention of eating lunch. We were told that due to a wedding the restaurant would close at 14:00 – we had to rush a rather expensive sandwich to get onto the tour that we’d chosen.

Our journey home was not the best – A rough crossing. You can’t blame Condor for the weather, but be warned that if the weather’s not great, you will feel very sick!!!

All in all, we had a lovely time and would highly recommend this hotel. Should we return to St.Helier we would definitely stay here again.

1  Thank CathyM_and_IanJ
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We stayed, in a Premier room - 14, at the hotel for 8 nights from 7th September 2013. Our room was very clean and spacious and the bed very comfortable.

The food in the hotel was excellent - breakfasts, bar snacks, or evening meals, all terrific.
All the staff on Chris's team were friendly, polite,very helpful and always very cheerful.
The weather was such that we could use the outdoor heated swimming pool and associated decked area which was very clean and tidy and a great area to relax in.

The hotel is situated approximately 10 minutes level walk from the town centre in a more residential area of St Helier, which was not a problem for us at all.

The only negative issue we had, was the noise created by creaking floorboards from any movement in the room above. Unfortunately for us the occupants were very early risers!!!!!!!

All in all a very enjoyable and relaxing stay and we would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Choose a top floor room unless your an early riser.
1  Thank RichardG645
Reviewed 10 September 2013

We stayed in here having read many of the reviews for the St Helier hotels. We found the rooms to be clean and spacious, the food excellent and all the staff friendly and willing to help in any way they could. Unfortunately I was taken ill (nothing to do with the hotel) and needed to be admitted to hospital which marred the holiday for us to some degree, but this is where the hotel staff excelled themselves. My wife was made to feel not only very safe but also well supported by the owners and their team. Only a short walk form the town centre so all bars and restaurants with in easy reach. We will be going back and encouraging friends to consider joining us too. got a heated outside pool too (but never go to go in it unfortunately).

Room Tip: We were in room 8 which was spacious with a good large bed and would happily stay in there again.
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Guys stayed here for 4 nights , nice room and I must say one of the best English fry ups I have had in a hotel, I did hotel. Location is excellent for the bars and sea front. And the hotel has loads of parking . All in all they did well. Also the staff who served us were very good too, well done too all, and I mean all the breakfast team