“Friendly? Helpful? Oh yes!”
Review of Hampshire Hotel

Hampshire Hotel
Ranked #13 of 32 Hotels in St Helier
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I travel to Jersey to work twice a year, and have up to now stayed in the same hotels. This time I was forced to choose an alternative, as my previous choices were fully booked. I was glad I did!.
I stayed in the basic accomodation but it was more than adequate, there are better rooms which I will try next time!
The staff, and owner very friendly, creating a welcoming atmosphere, making you feel at home!
The pool area is clean and tidy and there is a patio area next to the pool.
The hotel is nicely situated just outside the hustle and bustle of St Helier, but only a 10 minute walk into the town centre.
The second time I stayed was a rushed visit to Jersey, and by 6.30 in the evening I had not booked a room (IN JULY!!!!!). Having only stayed at the Hampshire a few weeks previously I gave them a call, and I was offered a room - excelent, when the locals I was working with said I would be very lucky to get somewhere in July at that short notice! Not only that I got a better rate than when I had booked with Booking.com - lesson learned!
So I would recommend the Hampshire for families, couples and business.
One thing to look out for, if parking at the hotel do not make the mistake I did and drive down the narrow driveway with the blue railngs, it is VERY narrow and does not belong to the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Mongaman
There are newer reviews for Hampshire Hotel

Reviewed 13 October 2013

Highly recommend this hotel.
Staff very professional and friendly, food superb, rooms exceptionally clean.
Only a 10 minute walk from Liberation Square and has its own car park and outdoor pool.
Would recommend as is superior to a usual hotel of this rating and offers excellent value for money.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 9 October 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a week - the entrance, bar area and restaurant are very well designed and chic - the bedrooms are quite basic and a bit of a shock compared to the downstairs but overall a nice place to stay, the beds are really comfy and the room was very clean, the staff helpful and friendly and there is a good swimming pool area. I am sure once the bedrooms have been fully modernised this hotel will definitely earn an extra star rating. The food was fantastic, served beautifully and of very good quality and so weighing everything up would definitely recommend

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank gardening10
Reviewed 30 September 2013

This is a great little hotel, the staff are very helpful and friendly, the rooms very clean and well appointed (If a little warm). The hotel is about a 10-15 minute walk from the centre of town but very easy to get to. I would recommend this hotel and when I return to Jersey will certainly be staying here again.

Room Tip: The room was very hot, I let reception know and was given a fan for the room which helped.
Reviewed 30 September 2013

With hind sight I chose the wrong hotel, the hotel itself was ok, the public rooms very fresh and modern looking, but behind the scenes needs some attention, carpets shabby and worn, stains on chair upholstery in the bedroom even though our room had supposedly had a "makeover" by this I think they meant it had been painted and had new bed linen and possibly curtains. Having said that , the bed was comfortable and the room was clean, apart from the carpet and chairs.I had upgraded to a superior room which was worth doing for the extra space, there was a double bed and 2 singles in our room, 1 single being in a little annexe off the main bedroom(I assume it was a family room) most of the staff were very friendly, helpful and professional especially the waiters and waitresses at breakfast. Whatever you asked for was provided immediately with a smile.
Sorry I can't say the same for reception staff except for the "more mature" lady who was always very friendly and ready to chat whenever we passed through reception
The 2 younger female receptionists were very professional but lacked personality, reluctant to engage in conversation and, at worst gave me the impression I was a nuisance when I asked for a new kettle(ours was badly discoloured)
The 10 min stroll from the hotel to the town and seafront which other people have described is more like a 15/20 min hike at top speed, which we had to do several times to dodge the rain.
On a positive note, it was very quiet at night which meant we had good sleeping conditions.
Not very good (especially for people who have mobility problems) is the fact that you have to carry your cases down a flight of stairs before you can use the lift, then when you get out at your floor you have a few more steps to climb to get into the corridor your room is on

Room Tip: We had a room on the 3rd floor on the side away from the road which I had read in previous reviews t...
2  Thank Chris D
ChrisR23, Owner at Hampshire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2013

Dear Chris D

Thank you for taking the time to post a review, unfortunately it is difficult for me to fully respond as I am struggling to find your reservation as you have not said when you stayed or who you are.

I will attempt to comment where I can. You are correct in saying that one of our stair carpets is slightly worn it is due for replacement this winter, we are a very popular Hotel and have been very busy since early March and we will suffer from some ware and tear however I apologise if this in any way spoilt your stay.

We are constantly improving the Hotel but have never said we have had a recent makeover so I am not sure where this information has come from.

I am extremely sorry that you felt two of my reception staff were unfriendly I have now investigated this and both were not aware of being unfriendly but are very sorry if they gave that impression. I am very proud of my staff, I believe they are excellent and very happy working within a pleasant and friendly Hotel

Finally we are the first to admit that we are not wheelchair friendly purely due to the design of the Hotel we do not advertise this so I am unsure why you have made this comment.

It is a shame you did not approach me as I would have been more then pleased to help you we are sorry you felt that you were the wrong Hotel

Chris Robin

Reviewed 29 September 2013

For a one week stay in September I chose the Hampshire from Trip Advisor and it delivered everything required. It has parking and in Jersey thats a big plus,it is a 10 min walk into town,the room was large and airy,everything was spotlessly clean and the staff were helpful.But now for the clincher;
a big comfortable bar ajoins a restaurant that serves a three course dinner plus coffee and a home made chocolate for less money than you would pay in many pubs, cooked to a standard of quality and presentation that ought to see it in the good food guide.
I have some minor issues with maintenance,a cracked handbasin and a bathroom door that didn't shut,
but for comfort, convenience and great food its a winner

1  Thank alan s
Reviewed 26 September 2013

As usual checked Trip Advisor before booking and reviews pretty well spot on. Warm welcome and no fuss booking in. Room was spacious and very clean. Decor throughout the hotel was excellent and well maintained. Lovely little secluded pool area which was a real sun trap. (when it did shine). Food was also top class, good varied buffet breakfast, quality meals during the day although didn`t try the a la carte but never heard one complaint from the other residents. Staff all very hard working, nothing too much trouble them. Only down side was the lack of a view, we overlooked a supermarket car park, that said it isn`t a bad location, only a 10 minute stroll into the town centre. Another plus was the free wi-fi. A very pleasant stay and would recommend the Hampshire to anyone.

Room Tip: Probably a room overlooking the pool.