“some downsides”
Review of Hampshire Hotel

Hampshire Hotel
Ranked #13 of 32 Hotels in St Helier
Reviewed 15 March 2014

We booked a premium room, which was very comfortable. However, the heating of the room was switched of during the day.The bathroom could do with some renovation (black moulds in the bathtub!). Another downside was that the hotel is very thin walled and can get very noisy, especially when a party is on (in our case a three day salsa workshop until 1.00 am).
The hotel offers a full english breakfast (and on quiet days a good choice of other cooked breakfasts), but for those who prefer a continental breakfast the choice is limited.
The hotel is conveniently located, approximately 10-15 minutes walk from the city centre and the bus station.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank E_v_Di
There are newer reviews for Hampshire Hotel

Reviewed 20 January 2014

Recently stayed at the Hampshire while visiting my niece in Jersey. Very comfortable bedrooms, excellent breakfast, very friendly staff and would definitely stay here again. We used the bar and didn't think that the drinks were overly expensive.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I booked this hotel a few months before travelling, I booked a standard twin for my daughter and I . I requested a quiet room. When we arrived we were told we had been upgraded as there was a party on on the first night, so we didn't get disturbed...

However we heard the party (and every single song) It was very noisy. We worked out that they had moved us 2 floors directly above the party room. It was very noisy.

We ate in the hotel (excellent quality and value) this night.

The following morning I mentioned to reception about the noise, they said they didn't think it would have been noisy in our room.( I'm sure other people must have complained about out the noise previously and I'm also sure they knew our room would still be noisy )

However they did swop us for our second night and they even gave us a choice of rooms. (Neither of these were near or above the party room, surely they should have given us one of these to start with.)

We were only in jersey for 2 nights and being tired for the 2nd day wasn't good!

Needless to say the 2 night there was another party, but we didn't hear anything the 2 nd night.

I paid for our meal and wine from the first night and did think that they should have offered us some kind of complimentary drink or reduction at the very least on this meal, because we had such a disturbed first nights sleep.

When we left I mentioned this to the receptionist , who has since informed me, has refunded the wine we had from the first night. Surely the hotels customer service dept should have done this without the customer itself having to ask!

The bar area looked nice. There was a party on each night. We were told we could use it, we didn't, as we felt we were intruding on large private functions, which on both nights filled the room.

I think this hotel needs to be careful not to let "parties" spoil the hotel itself. Obviously it's income for the hotel especially in the winter months but I think to have it party based at the weekends for a smallish establishment can spoil it for the tourists like my daughter and I.

We did hear other guests saying the same thing. The rooms are nice, the breakfasts ok, the outside swimming area looked like it would be lovely in the summer. It is a good 10 minute walk into the centre but no problem as it is a nice hotel.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank GIZMO1674
ChrisR23, Owner at Hampshire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at the Hampshire Hotel

I am delighted that apart from the noise on the first night you had an enjoyable stay, we do not hold a lot of functions and only in winter months,we only use a DJ who realises our sound limitations, Unfortunately on this occasion the function organiser chose to employ another DJ who exceeded the Hotel noise levels. The music stopped at 12.30.

As you have stated we did move you to another room for your second night and along with complimentary Wine we also offered you a heavily discounted rate for a future stay

I fully understand your comments and can only apologise for the inconvenience caused to you both.

Chris Robin

Reviewed 15 November 2013

I went to visit some family in Jersey and as a surprise my aunt booked us into the Hampshire Hotel. When we arrived the lady on reception was very welcoming and advised that we had been upgraded, which was a lovely start to our stay!

We went to our room and it was beautiful and very clean. We had a huge and very comfortable bed with a desk, coffee table, couch and two chairs. The room also came with an alarm clock, a kettle and teabags, hot chocolate, coffee and biscuits, as well as a mug and glass each. The bathroom was lovely. It had a shower over the bath and looked in very good condition. It came with soap, shampoo and shower gel and a stack of towels.

The staff from all around the hotel were incredibly helpful and friendly. At one point I mentioned that I wish that I'd taken my hair straighteners with me, and the lady on reception then found me a set to use for the duration of my stay. She also recommended various restaurants around the area and places to buy things I was looking for.

Now on to the food! The food was wonderful! Breakfast consisted of a buffet which offered pastries, cereals, yoghurt, fruit, cheese, ham (very good quality ham, might I add) and a selection of juices. You could also have a cooked breakfast on top of the anything from the buffet as well as unlimited toast, tea and coffee. We had dinner one evening and it was beautiful. Everything was cooked to perfection, it was clear there was a chef in the kitchen actually cooking, not just a frozen meal that had been zapped in a microwave and presented nicely. We were there over Jersey's Tennerfest, which meant we got three courses for £17.50 each, but even if it had been £40 each I would have been happy to pay, it was that delicious!

All in all all of the staff made us feel very welcome and our every need was attended to. The facilities were very good and the whole hotel was very well presented and very clean. It was a wonderful atmosphere. I would thoroughly recommend the Hampshire Hotel and when I return to Jersey I will most definitely be staying there again!

Room Tip: We went outside of the usual tourist season and they upgraded us for free as they were quiet!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 November 2013

This was our second stay at the 'Hampshire Hotel' in October this year, having last visited in August.
This is a lovely hotel ideally located only 10-15 minutes walk from the centre of St Hellier.
We stayed in the Premier rooms, which are extremely well appointed, pleasantly furnished, with a very large bed, and nice bathroom.
Staff are very helpful and friendly, Breakfast buffet was excellent, with a wide choice and variety, constantly being replenished. Dinner was again excellent, with a good selection, together with professional service. A big thank you to Gomez and his staff.
The public areas of the hotel are very well appointed, with comfortable seating areas and plenty of space. Bar/lounge area is very tastefully decorated, and a good selection of snacks available most of the day.
The outside area has a pool, with a pleasant seating area, and decking with tables and chairs.
There is also a good sized car park.
Would definitely recommend the 'Hampshire Hotel', and we will definitely return again.
A big thank you to Chris and all of his staff for making our eight day stay so pleasant and enjoyable!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 October 2013

A lovely hotel in a nice, quiet location. Friendly and helpful staff. A big comfortable bed. A lovely breakfast. We stayed here for just 1 night and wish it could have been for longer. Can't say anymore than that, other than we would love to return again one day which hopefully is a good enough reason for others to book a stay here.

Room Tip: We had 2 rooms, both on the ground floor, and would recommend either - Room 3 and Room 4.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Our 3rd trip to Jersey & 2nd time we have stayed at the Hampshire.
Once again no complaints, nice spacious quiet room as requested, good location - only a 10 minute stroll to centre of St Helier, excellent help yourself breakfast buffet, always readily topped up by the staff.
Hopefully we will return once again.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple