“Great Hotel - Poor Spa”

The Club Hotel & Spa
Ranked #14 of 31 Hotels in St Helier
Reviewed 29 February 2008

I stayed here for three nights as a birthday treat last year. I must say, the hotel itself is AMAZING; they have the best beds I have ever experienced in my life! The staff were very friendly and willing to help.

However, I was disappointed with the Spa. I 'Spa' a lot and I am afraid to say that I wouldn't recommend this one. Every towel I encountered in there was 'manky' and I found the treatments to be over priced and very poorly executed.

I would recommend the hotel, but not the Spa.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled with friends
1  Thank JetsieJackson

Reviewed 25 February 2008

Wow, wow, wow. This is what we were saying for the whole weekend, from the moment we arrived to the moment we left. I have never felt this special in a hotel in my life. From start to finish my friends and I were treated like royalty. Everything about the hotel, service, food, decor, rooms, spa, treatments, room service, housekeeping were excellent. On arrival we were given a tour of the facilities whilst our luggage was wisked to our suite. When we got to the suite it was immaculate and we each had a box of chocolates with a hand written message welcoming us from the hotel manager. The spa was refreshing, invigorating and relaxing. I had the shankara bliss treatment which was 2 hours of sheer bliss that I didn't want to end. I floated back to my room and got ready for an evening in Bohenia. Oh my God the restaurant was out of this world! The food is amazing, the service immaculate, discrete and attentive, the whole experience was stunning. A special thankyou is extended to Tim the General Manager and Denise at front of house for a very memorable and special weekend.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with friends
3  Thank WanderersCarmarthen
Reviewed 21 January 2008

We booked The Club Hotel & Spa after reading a great review in the Independent On Saturday and the hotel lived up to the review. The spa while small is fantastic and the therapist who looked after me for my half day package was one of the best I have ever been lucky enought to experince.

My husband spent that morning wondering the town which is right outside the hotel and found a nice cafe we later had lunch in before the real shopping begun the town has a few great little shops. But the real treat was our dinner in Bohemia the hotels Michelin starred restaurant that night. This was truely amazing and we really enjoy the chance to tour the michelin starred kitchens after dinner with one of the Chefs.

The bedroom was fantastic and we really loved the feather beds which were like sleeping on a cloud. also the little touches like cookies at turndown and champange on arrival set this hotel apart from most we have stayed at and the really special part of this hotel is the staff they are so pleasant and seem to always go that bit further i would highly recomend this hotel and if we return to Jersey will be back.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Tt-Pt
Reviewed 2 December 2007

What a hotel, just come back and had a great weekend. Hotel is beautiful and rooms and bed best ever. Good service, drink on arrival and the bohemia resturant was fantastic. Weather outside was appalling but cosy inside and so close to the town centre.
Breakfast nice as well...we didnt bother with cooked as still full from sat night meal.
would recommend to anyone! Had a massage an that was great too.
only down point is quite expensive, but i suppose you pay for what you get!

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
7  Thank DevonJamie
Reviewed 22 November 2007

Once again Tripadvisor has come up trumps. I booked a deluxe room for 3 nights as a treat for my partner. We were greeted by friendly and helpful staff and were shown around on arrival. Our room was ready by 2pm and was faultless. We were offered (and accepted) a complimentary glass of champagne on the first evening and on returning from dinner the bed had been turned down and water and home made shortbread had been placed by the bedside. A nice touch! Breakfast was mainly fruit, cereals pastries etc which was very nicely presented, (love the villeroy & boch china) although cooked breakfasts were available at a cost. We took advantage of the pool, steam room & sauna and we both had a treatment all of which were top class. All in all 5 star service & everything one would expect from a hotel of this class.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Bridg
Reviewed 29 October 2007

The hotel itself is very nice. Lovely sized rooms, nice decor, perfect location, complete with spa. But the service, well...where do you start. From start to finish the service in this hotel was the worst I have experienced in a decent hotel ever.

We arrived a little early were offered a call to advise us when our room was ready (nice touch we thought), only we never got a call. We booked for dinner in the Mitchelin starred restaurant for our first evening & felt like we were invisible for the whole night. We waited an hour for our starter, were offered drinks only when we requested them, generally it was a complete disappointment. In the bars, they couldn't find any staff to serve us. In the main bar - they don't have sport on the TV - "We're attached to a Mitchelin starred restaurant" - yes - we know & we got poor service in there too & then when we tried to rearrange a spa reservation we'd made, you'd have thought we were asking for a million dollar manicure.

Thankfully, I with an amazing group of people & the island is quite nice, so we had a great time, but if service is important to you - this is the last hotel you should go to.

P.S. I did leave a comment card for the Manager to ask that he contact me to discuss - I'm still waiting.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family
5  Thank NYNYNY020
Reviewed 18 October 2007

The first good point about this hotel is the logistics, i.e. it's easy to find and has plenty of parking space. We drove off the Condor ferry in Jersey, turned right at the second roundabout onto the dual carriageway and keeping to the left, we then went through the tunnel under the hill. At the roundabout at the end of the tunnel we took the second left into Green Street and the hotel was about 100 yards up the road on the left hand side. Parking couldn't have been easier as we arrived in the afternoon so there was plenty of choice, but even if you get there later there is still ample parking space.

The staff on reception were very welcoming. Once we checked in we were given a tour of the hotel facilities and the Spa, then shown to our room. When we got in there was a nice cold glass of Champagne waiting for each of us, a personal welcome note from the manager and a small box of locally made chocolates (yum! - they are made at the La Mare estate where they also make 'Jersey Black Butter' and 'Jersey Apple Brandy').

The hotel is ultra modern and though not particularly large, the room was immaculately clean, with an LCD TV on the wall opposite the bed. All the features that you would expect of a top quality hotel were there - safe, mini-bar, coffee/tea etc.

We can confirm all other reviews about the beds - it was marvellous, by far the best hotel bed we have experienced in the world, with goose down quilt and top quality cotton bedding to match. The problem was that we just didn't want to get out of bed ion the morning as it was so comfortable!

The included breakfast was continental and there was a reasonable choice of both ready-made and home-made cereals, fruits, yoghurts, croissants and bread, although I would have liked to have had more than just one type of cheese and perhaps some cold meats. On one of the days I ordered the Loch Fyne smoked salmon and scrambled eggs - they were superb, definitely recommended even though they cost around £10 extra.

The dining-in options at this hotel are limited - you can eat at the Michelin starred 'Bohemia' restaurant if you want to spend over £50 each (we didn't!) or in the 'New York Cafe', and there is also room service (similar to the Cafe menu). Other than that you have to go elsewhere for greater choice, especially if you want to eat late (after 10pm) as the 24hour room service menu is quite limited. Fortunately the town centre is only a three-minute walk from the hotel, but we expected a greater choice from a top hotel. I'm not sure how hotel star ratings work, but we have had better choices and facilities in four-star hotels in the US, although admittedly everything is bigger there...

The service from the staff was fantastic. For example, when we asked the maid if they had any bubble bath stuff she said that they didn't but that she would gladly pop out to the shops to get us some if we wanted it. We made use of the bath/shower gels instead but we were certainly impressed by the attitude shown to us.

My wife loved the home made marmalade in the mornings so when we left they gave us some to take home; again the attention to detail was top class as they sealed it perfectly for us.

We didn't fancy using the Spa when we were there so we saved a bit of money (!), which was promptly spent elsewhere...

The only other comment I would make is that this hotel could be anywhere in the world - it is an ultra-chic boutique hotel that does not have any local character.

To summarise then, the limited dining options suggest The Club should be a four star hotel, but the service, cleanliness and overall quality of the hotel are worthy of five stars. The superb service and the small touches (such as home made shortbread and bottles of water every evening) all help to raise the overall impression and experience of staying at this hotel.

Would we recommend this hotel to our best friends? Definitely.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
#1 of 5 in StSaviour
The Inn Boutique
The Inn Boutique
#4 of 31 in St Helier

Been to The Club Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!