“Was great - except there was a rude staff”

The Club Hotel & Spa
Ranked #14 of 32 Hotels in St Helier
Hong Kong
“Was great - except there was a rude staff”
Reviewed 17 June 2009

As I write this review I am really torn.
Some of the hotel staff are really helpful and one of them have sent my friends next door a basket of fruits to help to celebrate their honeymoon.

But, maybe I can list out the Pros and Cons here for your reference :

Pros :
generally very helpful staff (except for one)
Nice decor and nice toiletries
pretty central location

Cons:
dirt on the bed sheet when we hopped in !
a staff who actually opened my room door (and i am not sure if he actually came in) but I was taking a nap and when I noticed someone was at the door, I asked "who's this?" and the guy replied "ooh, I'm fixing the TV, yeah nevermind" and left.
I spoke to another hotel staff and she was very apologetic but seriously. How would a single girl sleeping in a hotel room at 4 pm feel really secure with a random guy who DID NOT identify himself and said random words and then left ?
When i mentioned this to another staff, who turns out it was him who came in. Instead of being apologetic and said "Sorry if this freaked you out" , he told me the night before a gentleman reported the TV is not working (and it still wasn't). I have checked in 2 hours ago when this happened and how would a 4 star hotel doesn't know its guests and if maintenance took quite a long time to come across that's really bad compared to the Hilton's or the Marriott's or the Sheratons. These are the ones I normally stayed and I travelled every 3-5 weeks on average !

He then accused me if I was taking a nap, I should have put a sign outside the door so no one would disturb me.

So, everyone who is reading this, I ask you the following:
The fact that telling your guest that they are wrong and you are right - is that how a proper 4 star or good hotel get things done? Housekeeping staff will always identify themselves, why wouldn't other staff ?

If you are not worried about occasional dodgy staff - this would be a good choice.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank adjane

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
York, England
Reviewed 16 June 2009

As flying is not an option this year (my wife's 34 weeks pregnant) we decided to holiday a bit closer to home. We narrowed the selection down to here and the Atlantic - very different hotels (we ate at the Atlantic's Ocean restaurant one evening), but we chose this one as it appeared to be a bit more modern and closer to the bars and restaurants.

I can't fault the hotel, it's welcoming, modern and comfortable; the service is impeccable, the receptionists helpful and the breakfasts delicious. That said, for me, it lacked the je ne sais quoi, that special something.

The hotel isn't in beautful surroundings, there's no views (you could guess this from the website/brochure) and it somehow doesn't feel like you're on holiday (particularly when you spend time in business hotels a lot); this isn't a criticism, so much as an observation, and it would influence my choice whether to return.

The other reason I have reservations, is that the hotel is used by a lot of business people. Again, this wasn't a complete surprise having read the website, but I didn't think it would be so used as a business hotel (I wish I was put up in hotels like this on business!!). When you're trying to get away from it all, the laptop on the table next to you at breakfast doesn't help!

We stayed in a deluxe room (their standard room), which was spacious and comfortable and had everything you'd expect of this class of hotel (excpet the DVD/CD library didn't have as many titles as advertised!). There is a turn down service, which includes a bottle of water (per guest) some freshly made shortbread (yum) and a quotation card for your amusement. Nice touches, but felt a bit cliched after a week and the shortbread was too much every night (some variety would have been nice) - a minor irritiation you'll agree, but when you add it up and reflect it detracts rather than adds.

Breakfast was very good - cereal, fruit, fruit salad, ham cheese, yoghurts, croisant, pain au chocolat, muffins, freshly squeezed orange & grapefruit jiuce. It's included in the room price, but the cooked breakfast isn't - no great surprise there, but the cost of the fry was too much (especially for what you get). Normally a continental breakfast in this sort of place might be around £10 and the cooked breakfast £15 - the difference, £5ish. Well, for a fried breakfast here you pay £14.95. On top of what you've already paid for your continental breakfast, I thought £15 for 2 very small rashers of bacon, 2 small sausages, 2 fried eggs, a piece of fried bread and half a tomato a bit much. It was very tasty, don't get me wrong, but if I pay this much extra I want better.

I would still recommend this hotel to friends/family, but with caveats; maybe my expectations were too high comapred to where i've stayed on recent holidays, but I probably wouldn't go back.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Moonsk
London
Reviewed 1 June 2009

The service is great - it's the little touches that make any experience memorable, and there were plenty of those during our stay in the hotel - starting from a glass of champagne on arrival, to little bottles of water and home-made shortbreads left in the evening and lovely occitane toiletries in the bathroom. Will recommend it to all our friends. The spa is small but cosy and the restaurant (Bohemia) is in itself worth the visit - the food is beautifully cooked and service is fantastic.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Proshik
Hampshire
Reviewed 27 April 2009

My husband booked us into the Club Hotel & Spa for my birthday. What a treat!

We had a fantastic time and both agreed that we couldn't fault the whole weekend (even the sun shined for us).

The hotel is quite tucked away in a quiet back road, but in a great postion for St.Helier with it's shops, bars and places of interest.

We received a very warm welcome from the front office staff who were more than happy to sign us in, give us champagne and look after our bags even though we were quite a few hours early for 'check-in'.

The hotel has an air of sophistication to it without being pretentious. All public areas were clean and well maintained as was our room. Our first room (situated over the cafe on the 3rd floor) was quite noisey due to an airconditinioning pump, but we were immediately moved to another room when my husband went to reception ready for an argument!

The rooms are well equipt and have nice touches of luxury like L'Occtaine toileteries and handmade shortbread left by the bed at night. As advertised, the beds are extremely comfortable.

Views from the rooms aren't amazing, but it's not on the seafront so it was what we expected.

The Spa is incredible. I used the pool, sauna/steamroom and 'experience shower' each day we were there and on the Saturday we both had a mud treatment. This was great fun if you can relax whilst covered in mud in a sauna. This is really a two person treatment as you need to smear on the mud yourself, so a little help with your back is ideal! It's all very private and the whole spa has low lighting and is quiet and relaxed.

We ate at the Bohemia restaurant on Saturday evening. Again, at the risk of repeating myself, fantastic! Food and wine were of an extremely high satndard as you would expect from a restaurant of this calibre. Staff were also friendly and we did not feel at all uncomfrotable as you sometimes can in these types of restaurant.

We ate breakfast in the Cafe in the hotel. Continental breakfast is including, but if you can stretch (your stomach) to it, try one of their cooked breakfasts. Very, very tasty.

The price for the room was reasonable (£130 per night) compared to what we have paid to stay in London 'flea pits' before (£170 per night). I was quite happy that we had received value for money. Additional food and drink isn't cheap, but then you should really expect that at a hotel.

If you want a fantastic lunch experience, go to the Royal Yacht Hotel on the sea front in St.Helier. It's a great spot. Additionally, as an alternative to Bohemia, we visited 'Nelson's Eye' on Friday evening and the food was very good. It has a more casual atmosphere. Only mildly amusing down point for 'Nelson's Eye' was that they seemed to have a new batch of staff who didn't speak English. We weren't too bothered, but they were a little disorganised.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RebPet
London
Reviewed 21 April 2009

I have to say the Club Hotel and Spa did not live up to expectations. We travelled on Bank Holiday wwekend and upon arrival were told that the bar area was off limits due to a function there that evening - I believe these kind of things should be advertised on booking. However, the main issue was that I had called midwwek to make a dinner reservation on the Sunday, duly taken by the hotel, to find that the restaurant was closed and to be advised that the restaurant had been closed on Sundays since January!

In addition, the honesty bar had no bottle opener and the location, opposite is a cemetery and car park is not exactly inspiring for the price either. The pool at the spa is only open to guests at certain times, which I would have thought should be included.

Overall, not very good.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Skeith
Yorkshire
Reviewed 22 March 2009

I stayed at this hotel for a long weekend. The Hotel is nicely appointed and the room was lovely. The receptionist that greeted us gave us a tour of the hotel and spa, whilst our luggage was taken to our room.
I would warn future visitors that although the hotel advertises parking, it only has 6 parking spaces. These were permanently full and we had to use a public car park accross the road. The hotel will sell you parking cards.

• Stayed March 2009
2 Thank SLKYorkshire
Wrexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2009

Just back from a fantastic romantic weekend away in Jersey staying at The Club Hotel & Spa in St Helier for Valentines weekend.
From the moment we arrived to the time we left we had a lovely time, only a few minor problems that we were a little suprised about given the size of the hotel.

The check in service was quick and easy, we went straight up to our room which was modern and equiped with everything we needed. The only things noted were that the sink was extremely low in the bathroom and the wardrobe sliding door kept coming off the runner (easily fixed by maintenance)

We were asked if we would like a complimentary glass of champagne brought up to us which we had to call down for in the end!

Breakfast was continental buffet which was great, considering there were not that many people staying in the hotel i was suprised that on the first morning we had to ask three times for skimmed milk and then had to wait an age for coffee and some toast. A little disappointing but not the end of the world.

Had a Rasull at the spa during our stay and it was brilliant, the facilties were excellent and couldn't be faulted.

The little touches of the chocolates and shortbread biscuit during the evening were a real winner.

Overall i had a lovely stay and would recomment it, great location on a short stroll to main shops, bars and restaurants!

• Liked — Complimentary Wireless Internet access, Shortbread, Rooms and Spa
  • Disliked — Small car park and service of staff at club cafe
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Karina / Garry W