“Excellent location”

GreenLeadersSilver level
lucky8England
“Excellent location”
Reviewed 31 January 2009

I spent two nights mid January 2009. I selected it for the location and the spa and swimming pool, and paid extra for a sea/castle view. The room was very minimalist and basic for a 4 Star hotel. There is very little hanging space (approx 6 hangers max) not sufficient if there are two of you. The minibar was empty but for two bottles of mineral water. Regrettably I did not have time to
make use of the spa nor the swimming pool, but the buffet
breakfast was good. The fresh fruit was dismal as it was clearly
stale - been refrigerated for too long.

The view was wonderful, the staff was helpful. The safe was dodgy, but the bed was comfortable. The hair dryer was the most annoying thing - you had to keep you figure on a awkwardly
placed button to keep it working.

What it lacked is more creature comforts, i.e. a well stocked
mini bar, slippers and bathrobe would be expected for a 4 Star hotel. It is more like a basic Holiday Inn as I remember it.

For the location alone, I would reconsider it, but nothing more.

• Liked — Comfortable bed
  • Disliked — Too basic, minimalist. Room felt cold and unwelcoming.
  • Stayed January 2009
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (815)
  • Polish first
Buckinghamshire
Reviewed 21 January 2009

This is a recently completed hotel in a good location but it looks terrible from the outside. It was described by a local as "a cross between a blockhouse and a wheat silo" and nominated for the Carbuncle Cup 2008 by the architectectural website Building Design. It beat several ugly car parks and other buildings to win the award. The good thing about it is you can't see the outside from the inside. I liked the clean uncluttered inside.
We checked in early which was no problem as the rooms were ready but the Radisson pen I was given to fill in the form fell apart and I was told " they keep doing that". Not a good start.
We had booked the cheaper rooms overlooking the car park and the town which was fine for me but some people may prefer the marina or bay view. The room was large with a good size bathroom and minimally furnished. It would be fine for a business stay of a day or two but for two people staying four nights we ran out of hanging and shelf space.
The room appeared perfectly clean and well presented at first glance but we did find a half open sachet of face cream in the mini bar which was not nice. The bed was very large and comfortable.
We had dinner in the hotel on the first night and were quite disapointed. The waiter was pleasant enough but the service was very slow in spite of there being very few diners. Most dishes were OK but not exceptional. My wife and I ordered rib eye steaks medium rare, mine arrived with a little pink in the middle but my wife's was very well done. The waiter apologised and offered her an alternative so she ordered pork fillet and was told it would take ten minutes. The waiter apologised for the delay after 20 minutes and when it did eventually arrive much later we were offered complimentary desserts.
The breakfasts were very good, a huge selection of hot and cold food to choose from, well presented and no complaints there.
The bar, which overlooks the marina, suffered from staff wandering off for prolonged periods so service was somewhat erratic. The shop also was missing staff for periods when I tried to buy a paper.
Reception staff were friendly and efficient but many others, while not sullen, were a bit restricted by their English skills.
Overall we were a bit disapointed, we liked the location and parking was easy but some of the staff let it down.

• Liked — The size of the room and comfy bed
  • Disliked — Lack of hanging space
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
4 Thank MrPedant
Cheshire
Reviewed 6 January 2009

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights over the New Year period. We were purely looking to rest, relax and generally have some time out.

Having been to Jersey before we booked this hotel primarily for its location, parking and views. I am aware that this hotel has had some problems since opening. I have to say, however, that in our experience we had an excellent stay. From our arrival to departure everyone we encountered was friendly and helpful.

We arrived too early for check-in but this wasn't a problem. After checking with housekeeping we were told our room would be ready in 15 minutes as they were just finishing cleaning it unless we wanted to swap to another room in which case we could have it straight away. We were happy to wait and our bags were whisked away and in our room waiting for us a short time later.

The room was spotless, housekeeping very thorough, the bed enormous, the pillows the largest I've ever seen. We were fortunate in that having booked a business class/sea view room following a phone call from the hotel prior to our stay we actually had a suite overlooking the harbour/castle and so had a separate lounge area in addition to the bedroom.

We ate in the bar one evening and the food was freshly cooked and delicious, service good and friendly staff.

We had booked nothing for New Years Eve and so after a day out in the fresh sea air at around 8:30pm we phoned for room service. We half expected to be told there was none - it was New Years Eve after all - but were pleasantly surprised when our order was taken and they said it would be approximately half an hour. About 40 minutes later the food arrived with profuse apologies for the delay due to the hotel being so busy. Again the food was delicious.

We had breakfast each day, always plenty too eat, in the restaurant overlooking the harbour. New Years day there was a moment of confusion as arriving in the restaurant for breakfast the room was set for lunch and breakfast was nowhere to be seen. This confusion was only momentary as breakfast was being served in the function room. Again plenty of food but a slight wait for coffee and not quite up to the standard we had seen - understandable given that the staff would have worked long into the night to clear the room from the previous evening and set up for the hungry breakfasters. We noticed that the hotel served breakfast much longer than usual that day to enable late risers to eat.

Its worth noting that there are a number of rooms overlooking the car park, not the best view in the hotel but looking at other Jersey hotels far from the worst view you could have on the island. To guarantee not having this view and avoid being disappointed if this is important to you you need to book a sea view room. You should also be aware that the windows are not floor to ceiling.

If you are looking for an excellent base from which to explore the island this is it. The decor is simple/functional rather than sumptious. It is clear that there have been some problems but the hotel and staff are working hard to sort these issues out. Don't rule out the Radisson before you've given it a try, after reading reviews we nearly changed our booking to stay elsewhere and we very glad we didn't.

4 Thank itcheefeet
Jersey
Reviewed 3 January 2009

Myself and my partner stayed at the Radisson on New Years Eve as a bit of a treat to ourselves. My overall impression was of a good hotel, but they let themselves down on 1 or 2 points.

To start on a good note, most staff that we came into contact with were warm and friendly (notably Thomas and Monika on reception), the room was beautifully designed and finished and the bed was the best I've ever slept in. Further to earlier comments regarding '2 beds pushed together' they are actually Zip-and-Link beds which means you get a HUGE bed and no danger of falling down the middle. Not a problem in my eyes. The bath towels were the biggest and softest I've come across in a hotel and touches such as the retractable washing line over the bath, and the option of checking out as late as 6pm demonstrated that thought has been put into the services and facilities.

Breakfast was good with masses of choice - but the hot buffet could have been refilled that bit quicker. There were no eggs or mushrooms at all when we arrived. They appeared a short while later, too late for us though. Breakfast was being served in the function room rather than the restaurant and seemed a little disorganised. We never got any hot drinks, despite being offered someone else's and assured that the waitress would come back to us. If I'd have been desperate for coffee and/or eggs I would have made a point of finding a waiter/ess and asking for them, but I wasn't so I didn't.

Now for the one point that let the hotel down for me;

We had booked B&B as we were out for the evening, but planned to eat in the bar. The (very pleasant) chap on Reception assured us that food would be served until 8pm and we didn't need to book a table. I rang from the room to re-confirm this. When we reached the bar around 7.40 however, we were told food service had finished at 7pm. At that time on New Years Eve I began to fear that we'd be stuck eating a kebab on the street. (In the end we were lucky enough to grab the last table at Wildfire in St Helier - highly reccomended tapas and steak restaurant). I understand from years in the same business that last minute changes are made and miscommunication happens sometimes but from a 4* hotel I would have expected more than a small shrug from the barmaid. We found out the next morning that Room Service had still been available at that time, and had that been mentioned we would probably have taken the option.

We didn't use any of the other facilities such as the pool or gym but we've another 2 nights booked later this year so will check them and the restaurant out then.

All in all a good hotel, and very reasonably priced compared to some other 4*'s in the area. A little work on the service standards in the bar and restaurant and they'd be up there with the best.

• Liked — The very very comfy bed.
  • Disliked — Poor service in the bar/breakfast room
2 Thank bectoria
Channel Islands
Reviewed 25 December 2008

My husband and I decided to go to Jersey for a short break, I was a little hesitant in booking our break at the Radisson after some of the negative comments I have read, I am so glad that we decided to go and stay there. As soon as we walked in we were greeted very efficiently by a Polish young man. He was very informative and no task was to big for him, he saw to our needs immediately and did it all with a smile.

Our room was clean and comfortable, we also had two beds pushed together, but we did however have a kings size blanket so it didn’t make much of a difference to us.

Breakfast was really great, the buffet is filled with everything you can imagine and more, enough to fill anyone’s appetite and desire. It’s really hard to fault this hotel, great staff, great service and very clean!! Definately a 5 star in my books!

• Liked — Location!!
1 Thank SUNFLOWER1144
UK
Reviewed 29 November 2008

I stayed for two days and found a £90 room rate a good deal.

Positives...
1. Basically the hotel is very modern, and the rooms a big, clean and with mine had a great king size bed which was very comfortable with ample posh pillows. No issue with the rooms.

2. It is 5 mins walking distance from town, and you have the new movie complex and swimming pool nexct to thye hotel

Negitives....

1. Bar Service...with all of 4 people in the bar mid week, it still talkes an age to get served.

2. Absolutley every member of staff is polish., and has a 60% understanding of english. Yes...every staff member

Verdict...I would only stay again if I was not paying and had to take the best deal . For the same, or slightly cheaper I would recommened the Hotel de France, where the service is far better.

• Liked — Great modern rooms
  • Disliked — No english staff
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank UkSwiss
JerseyManager, Manager at Radisson Blu Waterfront Hotel, Jersey, responded to this review, 15 March 2009
Thank you for your comments.
The staff at the hotel come from all over Europe. Jersey, Guernsey,England,Scotland, Ireland, Netherlands, France, Malta, Portugal, Romania, Poland, &Germany. The hotel is most definately not staffed just by Polish employees!
Michele Somers - Genral Manager
Manchester
Reviewed 28 November 2008

Having read all the fuss about the design of the hotel, we were very pleasantly surprised. Fantastic location, light and airy hotel, relaxing atmosphere, great staff. We'd definitely stay again - it's about time Jersey had a modern, international hotel.

• Liked — Location on the marina
  • Disliked — A bit hard to find
#3 of 32 in St Helier
Longueville Manor
Longueville Manor
#1 of 5 in StSaviour

Been to Radisson Blu Waterfront Hotel, Jersey? Share your experiences!