“Nice room, let down by food and disorganisation”
Review of Chateau La Chaire

Chateau La Chaire
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in St Martin
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We stayed here on a last minute package offered by the hotel to local residents, which included an overnight stay, dinner, and breakfast.

The hotel is in a nice location, although there is very little parking, so be sure not to arrive too late or to leave the hotel once you are there. There is a walk up to the hotel from the road/carpark. The room itself was lovely, with a comfortable bed, large bathroom with a jacuzzi bath, sofa and complimentary water (still and sparkling).

Upon check in, we advised that we would be taking afternoon tea in our room when it became available (2pm I think). I called about 15 minutes before this in order to specify the type of afternoon tea we wanted (there are various types). I was advised by reception that afternoon tea would not be offered because "the hotel was too busy". I had taken my parents there only days before for afternoon tea and at that time they advised that afternoon tea was not available because "the hotel was too quiet". I suspect that they don't want to serve afternoon tea!? I told them that this wasn't acceptable, so they begrudgingly agreed to bring it to us, although parts of it were missing (particularly the victoria sponge, which was replaced by the most awful tasting cheesecake). Once it arrived, it was lovely.

We then went for dinner. I have left a separate review for this under the restaurant listing here. In summary, it was very poor.

Breakfast was good. My husband went, but I was feeling unwell and could not make it. He had a full English breakfast and he was happy with it.

We like the room but I doubt that we will stay again, even if they make a very cheap offer next winter.

Room Tip: We have stayed twice in Foxglove and it is lovely.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
ChateauLaChaire, General Manager at Chateau La Chaire, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I understand from my team that your package was the very late 50% off Jersey residents deal just before Christmas however this offer did not include the usual afternoon tea and was inclusive of the residents menu at dinner rather than A' La Carte as normal.

In light of this it appears there may have been some confusion with your overnight package. We have served afternoon tea every day for the past 15 years without fail and are well experienced with this service along with dinner in the restaurant. Staff are on hand and attentive at all times without being intrusive and food is served to a very high standard. It is unlikely that any establishment can provide menus to suit all persons at all times but that does not mean the food is poor. Previous reviews can testify to this which highly praise the food, service and staff.

It's such a shame that you did not mention these comments to any member of the team before your departure as we would always welcome the opportunity to put things right if required at the time thus avoiding any bad feelings you may have. Any justified adverse comments enable us to see where we may be able to improve the hotel and we always deal with such comments appropriately albeit they really are rare.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

Chabby chic is great! lovely staff make a personal difference. Bar and restaurant such great old school rooms with wood panelling. We love it, it is our go to hotel in jersey. Lovely little valley where it is situated and right near the harbour at Rozel.

Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 29 October 2013

For years I've wanted to have Sunday lunch at the Chateau la Chaire but when I tried to make a reservation (admitting always last minute) they were full.......which made me want to eat here even more!! Finally, we had a table for two last weekend. On the journey from home in St Aubin to Rozel we joked in the car that never in Jersey have we driven so far to a restaurant! The welcome was warm, lunch was wonderful and we enjoyed the surroundings. The only reason I didn't give top marks was because I burnt my fingers on the vegetable dish as I wasn't warned how hot it was when placed on our table (I think it had been under the grill). When I withdraw my hand quickly I knocked over my full glass of wine which wasn't replaced although the waiter did offer an apology. :(

Room Tip: In future we will ask for a table in the conservatory as the back dining room is a little dark durin...
2  Thank Namchild D
ChateauLaChaire, General Manager at Chateau La Chaire, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. Always makes me smile that on an island so small, driving a few miles to a restaurant is big thing but I'm glad you thought it was worth the journey.

Sorry to read about the hot dish burning your finger. Have added this to the restaurant training to avoid happening to someone else. Next time you venture out this way please do call in to say hello and have a glass of wine or cocktail on us.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

We stayed at this lovely hotel after walking 12 miles of north Jersey coastal path. By the time we reached the hotel we were tired and footsore, and I'm guessing not the usual type of guest this hotel attracts. However the staff were extremely welcoming, regardless of the state of us. We were shown to our wonderful room room with a spa bath which was heaven, especially after all that walking. We later enjoyed a Tennerfest meal which was absolutely wonderful and tremendous value for money even though the hotel was quite an expensive, but well earned, treat for us. Our only small gripe was that there was no tea and coffee making facilities in the room and we had to pay for tea and coffee to be delivered to our room. Maybe people who normally stay here don't mind paying the extra but it seemed a little too much to pay for this when the room was so expensive.

Reviewed 10 October 2013

We have just returned from a week at the chateau celebrating our wedding anniversary and it was wonderful. We were in room 12 which had a bath at the end of the bed (as well as an en suite shower room) and it was spotlessly clean, very well appointed and had all the little luxuries - elemis toiletries, fresh fruit, bottled water and most importantly, fresh milk put into the fridge every morning for your tea/ coffee...no uht here! The staff were very friendly and efficient. The lounge is very comfortable for afternoon tea as well as the paneled bar for pre/post dinner drinks. The chateau is located in a very quiet valley, a short walk to the beach. What makes this hotel special is the exquisite food. Truly the best menu we have ever had the pleasure to enjoy. Tastes, textures and presentation an absolute delight. Chef is to be applauded. We enjoyed the chateau as the tranquility, peace and quiet was just what we needed after a hectic few months. If you want finger clicking service, lots going on and hustle and bustle, it may not be for you. However, if you want good service, amazing food, friendly staff and a base from which to explore Jersey knowing you will return to a cream tea, a luxury room to chill out in before dinner, and be treated like an old friend, then you will certainly enjoy the chateau. We did explore the gardens one afternoon but they were a bit overgrown so a bit tricky. The gardens are reached by steep steps so not for the feint hearted. I'm sure in due course they will be pruned etc and be another spot to sit back and contemplate. Our only suggestion to make would maybe having a fan in each room as when we stayed the weather was very warm and humid and even with the windows open it was a little stuffy and a fan would have circulated the air. Everything else such as irons,ironing board, trouser press, hair dryer etc is provided so adding a fan might be helpful for some guests. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the chateau and discovering Jersey after a twenty year gap of being on the island. We would definitely recommend the chateau for people who appreciate quality and the finer things in life. We will be back.

Room Tip: Do look on line and choose a room that suits what you are looking for, although we can't imagine...
1  Thank Wendy C
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Just back from a week staying at this hotel. Its absolutely wonderful. The staff (mainly Polish) are very friendly and efficient and nothing is too much trouble. The rooms are gorgeous and we had one with a bath at the end of the bed! If you want a luxurious treat - then this is the place to stay. We will be returning!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 September 2013

I booked this for my husband and I's wedding anniversary the 1st weekend of September. We booked the 4 poster room, with the balcony with mood lighting and Japanese Jacuzzi soaking tub. We regularly do weekends at high end Jersey hotels for treats and this was without comparison. The check in was smooth and we sat with a complimentary glass of port whist completing the process. The room was beautiful and relaxing with chilled champagne waiting for us. We enjoyed a cream tea on the terrace in the afternoon which was stunning followed by an attractive walk in the woodland grounds. We enjoyed champagne and nibbles in the lounge before dinner followed by a delicious 4 course dinner in the restaurant then coffees in the lounge afterwards. The next morning breakfast was excellent and we enjoyed another lovely walk before finally sampling the Jacuzzi before leaving. An amazing overnight experience. Fabulous staff. We will certainly be returning!

Room Tip: Bluebell room!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Radisson Blu Waterfront Hotel, Jersey
La Haule Manor
La Haule Manor
#1 of 4 in St Aubin

Been to Chateau La Chaire? Share your experiences!