“Superb service”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in St Martin
Devon
“Superb service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from a three night break at Chateau la Chaire and I would recommend it to anyone who appreciates good food and attentive service in a unique setting. As the manager has said in a previous response, the hotel does not have as many facilities as chain hotels, but the personal service and attention to detail make up for that. The food was excellent, the bed comfortable and the weather a glorious bonus!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Jersey, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

While thinking that reviewer John N possibly went a little to far with a few of his comments in Buyer beware, I find I agree with most of his points.The Attic rooms were small and cramped with small windows overlooking a car park.(the cobwebs in which were only surpassed by the long web dangling from the high ceiling in the dining room)
I find it amazing also that a hotel of this so called calibre does not have Tea and Coffee making facilities in the rooms.(probably for the profits as it is £2.50 p per person for Tea and Coffee in the room in the morning.)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
ChateauLaChaire, General Manager at Chateau La Chaire, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay.

I'm obviously disappointed you didn't enjoy your room but please understand that as an old house and not a purpose built hotel all of the rooms are of different shapes and sizes and allocated according to the package booked. If there is a particular room you prefer simply look at our website which details all rooms individually with pictures of each and just let us know.

Being an old house in the country we are plagued with cobwebs unfortunately but I can assure you that housekeeping do make a daily sweep. Please accept my apologies if your room was missed on this occasion.

To provide tea & coffee facilities in the room would have meant an increase in room rate for 2014 which we did not want to do. Its not an effort to make more money but rather an effort not to increase rates to customers who do not use the facilities. Those that do simply pay for a higher quality service and choice than your average in room tea tray. We are not the only hotel to do this as I am sure you will discover on future stays not only in Jersey but further afield.
Penrith, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

Stayed 3 nights for a long weekend - returning after 23 years to our honeymoon hotel.
Still a very nice hotel - external paintwork a bit "flaky" - staff very good and helpful - English speaking was adequate but only just - good ratio of staff to guests - good occupancy rate so they must be doing it right - Breakfasts superb - we never had dinner there as nothing on the menus really grabbed us but Jersey has plenty of good eating establishments - even in early April, so no worries - Room (standard, Marigold) OK but nothing special for a 4 star hotel - Manager returned (from a weekend off) Monday morning and it was good to be able to talk real English with a member of staff.
Will we return? I don't think so - we've seen Jersey and the hotel - neither are not special enough to return - there's plenty of other areas to explore - but very enjoyable.

Room Tip: Marigold was a good standard room - bedroom, dressing/sitting room plus bathroom.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Mike C
ChateauLaChaire, General Manager at Chateau La Chaire, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Thanks for taking the time to write a review after your recent stay. It was nice to chat with you before you left the hotel and pleased to hear you enjoyed your visit overall.

Unfortunately the annual exterior maintenance is difficult to complete during the cold & wet season but now we have some prolonged sunshine and warmth in Jersey the gardener, painter and maintenance are out in force right now preparing for summer.

A shame you didn't take the opportunity to try the restaurant for dinner. We have a great selection changing daily with a lot of local produce and always pleased to cater for all tastes, even if not on the menu. You're quite right however that Jersey is a fantastic destination for 'foodies'.

Should you change you mind about visiting Jersey in the future please don't hesitate to contact me and I'll make the arrangements for a stay at the Chateau. It would be lovely to see you again.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

.......just about every hotel on the island of Jersey is within half an hour’s drive of the airport, so why choose Chateau le Chaire?

I booked this hotel on a last minute whim as part of an eastJet package. The claims on the hotel website made it appear quite an attractive place (...but it would wouldn't it) and I was looking forward to a restful couple of nights on Jersey particularly as I had a Superior room discounted from £185 to £145....so where did it all go wrong?

The directions given on the website from the airport to the hotel aren't the best, but when eventually I did find the hotel I was somewhat taken aback at what I found. Externally from a distance the Chateau looks impressive and it's only when you get up close that you realise there is in fact less to this hotel than meets the eye. The hotel is positioned between the bottom of a sheer escarpment and the public highway the hotel car park being on the other side of the road. It has no garden to speak of and only a small gravel courtyard to the front. Describing the hotel as be "being set in 7 acres of Woodland" is a testament to estate agent euphemisms as accessing the woodland is not for the feint hearted and the Health and Safety Executive would certainly have something to say.

It astonishes me how many reviewers have been positive about this hotel, which makes me wonder whether I visited the same hotel as they did. Externally this hotel is tired and distressed and in need of a serious makeover and internally it's not much better, although the interior is clean the decor is dated, shabby and more akin to a dowdy drab low grade Victorian Gentleman's club. which (obviously) isn't apparent from the website images.

The piece de resistance was our Superior room "Daisy" a cramped top floor attic room at the far end of the building, to which WIFI connectivity was indifferent, furnished with assorted pieces of furniture and a bath at the end of the bed. Whilst a bath in a bedroom might be a novel addition to a room large enough to take such an item, "Daisy" was not that room and little more than an obstruction. I can only assume that the reason for putting it in the bedroom was a veiled attempt to sex the room up, but as the bath is only big enough for one failure (or serious injury) must be the only outcome. More likely it was put there because there wasn't enough room for it in the en suite shower room and without a bath "Daisy" would be nothing more than standard

Altogether the room was a bit of a shambles, unsuitable and clearly not what I was expecting for £145 let alone the full price of £185. A comfortable armchair rather than the wicker woven one provided would have been a more appropriate addition to the room than a bath, as would a kettle to brew up a cuppa - which was available at an additional cost.

Like most of the hotel (conservatory excepted) Daisy's small bedroom windows were single glazed. The paint was flaking off and black/grey mould growth was in the advanced stages of development around the frames, I assume caused by the condensation which covered them in the morning. You see the central heating wasn't exactly 4 star, but the room did come with an additional plug in electrical heater. The view from the window wasn't exactly magical either and whilst I wasn't expecting a view of the Sydney Opera House, herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically across the plain, or the hanging gardens of Babylon I had hoped for something rather better than a vista overlooking the service car park. An additional feature was the serenading tones of a pneumatic drill digging up the road and although that isn't the hotel's fault it didn't add to the ambience. This hotel might not quite be Fawlty Towers, but from what I witnessed with only a little more effort it will get there.

Having decided this room was not appropriate I engaged the manager in a brief and soulless conversation about moving us to a different room. The upshot of this was that there were no superior rooms available only The Suite and standard rooms, but he would have a a Superior room available in the following day. Unfortunately by the following day we decided that the hotel was not up to proof and we really didn't want to stay a day longer. This led to a protracted debate with the manager about the hotel's cancellation policy and the fact that I would be charged for the second night whether I stayed or not. The eventual outcome was that my wife and I paid for one night and moved to another hotel costing the same price with 4 stars, a balcony view over St Aubin's harbour and dinner for two thrown in....oh and a tea making facilities in the room.

Jersey is mainly serviced by budget airlines so the majority of paying punters flying in are likely to have baggage limits and liquid issues to manage. Because of this the days of highlighting hair dryers, dressing gowns, shampoo & toiletries as upgrade privileges are long gone. These are what a four star hotel should provide as standard along with free WIFI and dare I say it tea making facilities.

Chateau le Chaire has no outstanding views, no swimming pool, no gym, no lift and therefore limited access for those with mobility issues. In fact to be quite accurate it has no amenities of worth to speak of, so I am perplexed that any guides (even unidentified ones) should gift it the title "one of the finest small hotels in the British Isles" as it is certainly isn't and I would happily challenge the author of such an epithet. Could this be self perpetuating publicity?

Cost is not the issue here and I will happily pay a high price for high quality, but Chateau le Chaire offers little more than modest quality for a relatively high price, which in turn represents poor value for money. As I very quickly found there are much better deals to be had on the island of Jersey and C le C needs to up its game as the paying punters, and the grey brigade in particular, are becoming much more discerning and demanding. I won't be returning,,,but you probably guessed that.

3 Thank John N
ChateauLaChaire, General Manager at Chateau La Chaire, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Thank you for your review. Its a shame that I was unable to speak with you personally during your short visit last week but the staff did make me aware of you when I returned.

I would always treat adverse comments or criticism as an opportunity to improve our business but having read them there really isn't a great deal to review. It seems that only our location and country house hotel style did not suit you. You simply chose poorly and by your own admission, on a whim whilst booking your travel without researching anything about us. You say you wonder how so many people highly rate the Chateau but I would ask how likely is it that so many are wrong and only one is right.

The second night of your stay you spent in a built up area in a corporate hotel that also caters for coach parties and walking groups.Your room will likely have been the same as all the others with a standard bed and built-in contract furniture down one wall. That's fine if that's your choice but its not what we do at Chateau. The fact we had no more available rooms and they were able to offer you a room, with dinner also included at the same rate, must say something.

Many of your comments are rather baseless such as the 'public highway' which is a 15 mph country lane and perhaps sees one vehicle every 15 minutes. The hotel IS set in 7 acres of woodland as stated and whilst the hotel exterior is in needs of its spring maintenance, the hotel interior decor cannot be tired since is was only refurbished last year.

The idea of a rolltop bath at the end of the bed is not to 'sex it up' as you state but merely to make the room different from others. Its not meant for two persons but simply a relaxation aid. There's also a bathroom with a shower in the room but this was not mentioned. The room is also newly refurbished in a colonial style and not simply 'wicker'.

I'm not sure why you would comment on lack of facilities. We do not profess to have swimming pools, & gyms etc and simply highlights your lack of research before booking. We are what we say, a 170 year old house set in 7 acres of woodland where each room is individual, the food and service are excellent and the location is peaceful and relaxing.

Will you be returning.... from your demeanour and interaction with staff at the time, its probably best not.
North Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

This was our first visit to Jersey and we stayed for four nights here. From the moment of our arrival in the late evening to our departure we experienced excellent service. Our room (Petunia no 6) was very spacious and very well furnished, as was the bathroom and indeed the balcony. The food at every meal was perfect and the scones with the afternoon Jersey cream tea were scrumptious. The hotel is situated in a very quiet location and breakfast was made even more enjoyable in the conservatory with the appearance of red squirrels in the nearby trees. We will be returning.

1 Thank Roaming94
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

We have just returned (13th March) from a 3 night break at the beautiful Chateau la Chaire. It was our first ever visit to Jersey and we could not believe our luck on arriving at our chosen hotel. What a lovely Chateau in a very beautiful spot. Our room (no 11 ) although I think only a standard room was lovely, with a window seat and large opening window which looked down on the terrace. We could hear the water from both the water feature ant the small stream nearby, it was blissful !!!! The beds and bedding were very comfortable and the elemis products found in the bathroom were a real treat. All the food from breakfast, cream tea and DInner was delicious and served by polite and professional staff. The drawing room was also very comfortable and as we were very lucky to have beautiful weather what a delight eating breakfast in the conservatory. I could not fault any off it and as we have sailed on Cunard, Celebrity and Royal Carribean I can honestly say the hotels standards equalled that of our sailing experiences. Thank you for a lovely weekend.
Nikki O.

1 Thank Nic19542014
Jersey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

We went mainly to experience the tasting menu which was faultless. The care and attention given to every aspect of each plate was astounding.
The bedrooms haven't changed much over the years but they are a good size, well equipped, clean and very, very comfortable.
The staff are welcoming, knowledgeable and personable.
This is a hotel which tries very hard to please. There are little extras at every turn and we had a very pleasurable stay.
And it's great value too!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
La Haule Manor
La Haule Manor
#1 of 4 in St Aubin
Greenhills Country Hotel

Been to Chateau La Chaire? Share your experiences!