“Will never return !!!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in St Peter
Wheatlands Hotel, Gastropub & Golf Course
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in St Peter
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Will never return !!!”
Reviewed 11 September 2011

On arrival the Hotel looked really very pleasant. Check in was easy and we arrived early and were happy to find our rooms ready and available. We were travelling with 2 other couples and each shown to our rooms. Our room was located in the annexe part of the hotel and as soon as we entered the smell hit us. A plug in freshener was attempting to mask the smell but didn't work. The rooms are very dated and in desperate need of freshening up / decorating. A simple coat of paint would make all the difference!

Food and Service:
Breakfast was nice but a very slow process even though there seemed enough staff. We were sat approx 15 minutes each morning before getting coffee - and we had to ask twice !!

We ate 2 out of 3 nights in the Wheatsheaf Bistro that forms part of this hotel and the food was delicious. The only downfall was when 2 out of the party ordered steak and one of the steaks arrived half size of the other - when a request for a similiar size portion was requested all hell broke loose!! The Manager of the hotel returned the the plate of food insisting that due to the steak being well done then the portion would seem smaller (which we understand that - but not half the size surely??) The Manager stood holding the plate out to the member of our party (Basil Fawlty style) stating that he was not cooking him another steak and that he would have to "make do" with this one! There was a long period of the Manager scowling at our friend before storming off with the plate to see "what Chef says about this" ! A lovely waitress came back to tell us that no other steak would be provided. Oh well!! The rest of the party ate up and we then braved the rain and wind to spend the rest of our night and money in St Aubins! We feel that we had spent a lot of money in the bar and restaurant during our 4 day stay at the hotel and that the matter of the food could easily have been rectified without all the fuss.

On a positive note: the bedding and the towels were fresh and clean. There was a hospitality tray with a good supply of biscuits / coffee / tea. The rest of the staff were very nice and friendly. The bar area is a nice area to sit in and the bar staff are lovely.

On a negative note: the room was damp and smelly, there was black mould on the ceiling and the shower tray (see pics), the toilet was constantly blocked (we requested a room change but were told that no other rooms were available). Our fellow travellers upstairs rooms weren't as bad as the annexe rooms but still badly in need of decorating and smelt foisty.

Room Tip: Don't accept a room in the annexe!!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Shazipants
AHJ20101, Owner at Wheatlands Hotel, Gastropub & Golf Course, responded to this review, 18 September 2011
For the third time, I am responding to the same review. This is the same room! I refer to my comments in the post "So disappointed".

Breakfast is never this slow, and I can only assume the next review we get will be still worse.

Please refer to my comments in the previous management post regarding how my staff confirmed I handled, what I didn't realise was, a delicate situation. We did offer an alternative steak, but the chef did warn it might shrink once more. I did not say the things quoted.

We really did try to ensure satisfaction.

Ian Jones, owner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Wakefield
Reviewed 10 September 2011

Nice Hotel but dated, proprieter is an accountant and needs to stick to this profession or go on customer relations training. It appeared he had his accountants head on when setting portion controls. Also on keeping his food stocks, no mussels which were still on the menu, no brown bread for breakfast. First night we ate at the Hotel were given free nibbles, second night they didn't even light the candles! Will not return to this frugal in need of refurbishing Hotel. On a positive note staff were nice.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ShelWakefield
AHJ20101, Owner at Wheatlands Hotel, Gastropub & Golf Course, responded to this review, 19 September 2011
For the second time, I am responding to the same review. I refer to my comments in the post "So disappointed".

To add, we had received a new batch of mussels in from our supplier the day before, and they were dead the following day. My chef, quite rightly immediately took them off the specials board. We have since changed supplier.

Ian Jones, owner
Normanton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 September 2011

We have stayed at the hotel on three occations now and were aware of the state of the hotel and the refurbishment needed but we were told they were starting a refurb however our group were not happy at the condition of the room especially the room in the annexe as damp was in this room to the point of black patches on the ceilings in the bathroom also strong smell urine from this supposed to be made up en suite !!! This could have been sorted surely ?? . Very suprised that nothing has changed since our last visit five years ago apart from the Gastropub of which we thought a let down calling early evening 1830 hrs to be told already sold out of a particular dish which was in season in jersey at the time following morning at breakfast sorry no brown bread !! for breakfast we dont have . The icing on the cake was ordered two 8 oz steaks fron the gastropub one looked like 8 oz the other its poor relative of 4oz asked why the difference in size told because of the way was cooked medium/well would shrink refused the meal at this point the Manager then came in to the restaurant with the plate to our table with attitude - no sense of any reason about how we felt even though we tried to talk to him about the steak but just basically held this plate up shaking his head and more or less staring us out making out we were making an issue of this - believe me if you saw this mere slither of supposed to be steak you would be upset. ?The Manager then walked way then sent the waitress back to deal with us - she obviously felt perturbed by this and it was not her fault it spoilt our evening as by then the other five on our table had already got their meals. My husband did not end up with a meal as he had originally wanted the mussells and they were off the menu then he did not have another steak so basically had no evening meal. it was going to be our last night and we were going to stay in the hotel most of the evening but after Managers attitude we all went to the Goose Pub and spent our money there and had a nice evening. My view is that the Manager needs to go on a Customer relations course he may be good with his day job so I should stick to that working with figures as you will need to if you want to make a go of the Wheatlands. The hard working staff are lovely hats off to them.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
While we like to hear from our guests, we like comments made online to be accurate and without bias. I will attempt to respond without bias in each of the next three reviews. My comments are observations made by my staff, some other guests staying at the same time and my wife and I.

First I would like to point out we were not here 5 years ago when these six guests visited before. In fact we only came in at the beginning of last year when my wife's father passed away. Since then we have tried to improve the standards of the entire hotel complex, including adding the Gastropub, maintaining the excellent golf course and starting to make some improvements, as and when cash flows allow, to the rooms. Having read the comment about the damp patches in the room in question, my wife and I immediately went to investigate, and can confirm this was not acceptable and not up to our normal standards. We have made sure this has been improved already. If we had been made aware during the stay we would have acted sooner.

We recognise we have work to do in some of the rooms, and as such we charge very low room rates, which reflect where we believe value for money rests.

Unfortunately these guests arrived in bad weather for a 3 night stay with their golf clubs. The weather was so poor, they did not get a chance to play golf, and had to suffer Jersey's international air display being cancelled. As we said at the time we are really sorry about this, but we could do nothing about it.

On the afternoon of the display there were many people in Jersey who spent the afternoon indoors.

This group of 3 couples arrived at the Gastropub and demanded free wine, otherwise they were going to go for a Chinese in St Peters village. My waiter explained this was not something he could authorise, and so assumed they would not be eating with us. Shortly afterwards they decided to eat and ordered some wine. The red wine ordered was not to the gentleman's taste and was sent back. We did not charge.

The two steaks ordered were medium rare and well done. We offer top quality 8oz sirloin steak, homemade chips and dressed salad leaves for just £11.95. We believe our food is exceptional value for money. Unfortunately the difference in size of a well done and a medium rare is very noticeable.

I am the owner, not the manager, and had not understood there was a serious problem with the overall booking. I assumed the offer of a freshly cooked steak in place of the old one from my waitress would be perfectly adequate to allay the customers displeasure.

I can only apologise to the gentleman and his wife if I somehow caused offense.

Thank you for the fantastic comments about my staff. I really appreciate these comments, as the staff are the heart and sole of Wheatlands. We are exceptionally lucky to have found such a great bunch of people to work with us. At least we know we are heading in the right direction.

Ian Jones, Owner (manager)
St Helier, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2011

Had Grand parents over to Jersey to stay and their comments were:

"Our week’s stay at Wheatlands, near St Peter’s in Jersey, was a major source of enjoyment. The accommodation was very comfortable and the welcome offered both by Ian and Angela Jones and by their smiling and willing staff was of the highest order. They have a chef who prides himself on presenting all his dishes with elegant and flavoursome simplicity from the best raw materials. In a quiet country lane surrounded by an estate which also contains a fascinating 9 hole golf course – free use to residents, the hotel has a heated pool and enjoys a panoramic view of St Aubin’s Bay, Elizabeth Castle and the St Helier skyline".

Room Tip: Phone to book
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2011

We needed somewhere quiet and pretty for our Silver Wedding Anniversary trip. We coudn't go somewhere exotic or take a lengthy break as we had to leave two teenage sons at home for the first time. The hotel is currently undergoing refurbishment anyway, so improvements are being made. That aside, if you want posh, stuffy, noisy or expensive, don't go here. If, like us, you enjoy a quiet, friendly, laid-back and chilled atmosphere without feeling like you have to dress up just to down for breakfast, then this is the place. Our room was very quaint, attic-like with a sea view, and was perfect for our purpose. We will definitely be going back. We had a really relaxing time.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mariedy222
Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2011

Dropped in to wheatlands to try their bistro menu very impressed sat in the courtyard lovely day lovely service a must try for locals and tourists alike

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mrvibert
Torquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2011

Three night break for me and the fed up wife (fed up with winter, not me). A clean very welcoming hotel that gave exellent value for money. The rooms were small but had everything that you could want. The staff could not have been more helpful and were very willing to give advice on where & when to go. Full English breakfast was well cooked and well presented, evening & lunch meals in the new "Bistro" were cooked to perfection and produced in very quick time. The owner has great plans to develope the hotel but this will take time and money. If all the plans come to pass I would expect the star rating to go up a long way.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Greenhills Country House Hotel
The Inn Boutique
The Inn Boutique
#3 of 32 in St Helier

Been to Wheatlands Hotel, Gastropub & Golf Course? Share your experiences!