“A good week”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in St Peter
Wheatlands Hotel, Gastropub & Golf Course
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in St Peter
Reviewed 30 August 2013

First holiday in Yonks made more than comfortable by Ian and his staff. Good varied breakfast menu ( the veggie one was great havn't had Haloumi in years ). Nice big comfortable room overlooking the golf course ( more later), the only drawback is that the airport wakes up at 0700 most mornings, but I would imagine that a large number of more expensive places are worse in this aspect as they are nearer.
Also had a couple of evening meals at the hotel too, superb. I was a little worried when I saw the word gastropub, as past experience of gastropubs means "a little bit of nothing on a big white plate". No such problem here, a ruddy great plateful, well prepared, well presented and homemade bread to die for if you have the soup. Can't comment on the sweets as too full to contemplate.

The Golf course is a gorgeous little par 3 only let down by the tees which are mats, challenging in lineand club selection with huge rolling greens. Realy enjoyed the course, and with its elevation changes I had been also been given a good work out. The course is in good condition and very picturesque. Don't let the fact that it is a par three course effect your choice of stay it is not a pitch and put by any stretch of the imagination.

Message for Ian met an old freind of yours at Samoures manor named Brian who learned his golf at Wheatlands said to remember him to you.

Thanks for making our stay very pleasant and a great base to see this wonderful Island.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bob S
There are newer reviews for Wheatlands Hotel, Gastropub & Golf Course

Reviewed 23 August 2013

As the previous posts have already commented on the dated décor, I can only say that the location,cleanliness and friendliness of the staff made our stay here very enjoyable.I would recommend to any of my friends a stay at this Hotel if they were visiting Jersey, with the caveat of if you want 5 star you have to pay 5 star

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank John A
Reviewed 14 August 2013

We stayed at Wheatlands 8 years ago and had two lovely holidays. What a change this time and how disappointing. The place is completely run down. Whilst the two staff were friendly and helpful the place was filthy, with no cleaning in the main areas. The bedrooms were OK and beds were made with clean linen, but it was only a £30 a night hotel, not the £80 charged. There was no wireless and the television didn't work.
I spoke to the owner and he said that he was "struggling with the recession". No wonder he doesn't get return visitors as he doesn't seem to understand how a hotel business works. If you can't be bothered to do the basics then don't charge customers for something they are not getting. The golf course was in the same condition and looked thoroughly neglected.
Quite sad really as we won't be returning to Wheatlands!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
IanWheatlands, Owner at Wheatlands Hotel, Gastropub & Golf Course, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2013

Thank you for your review. I seem to be defending myself a lot recently.

I believe the rate was £40 per person B&B, not £80. I did not say we were struggling with the recession, I said we were struggling to raise additional finance in the recession in order to make the improvements we would like to make. There is a big difference.
We do not have wireless in the rooms, and have never advertised that we do. We do however have limited wireless access in the common areas of the two bars.
I am absolutely amazed at your comments about our golf course which is one of the most beautiful in Europe!! We have two full time greenkeepers who work full time making it so.
All of our televisions work. If you had a problem with it we would have come to fix it if informed.
As for the common areas cleanliness, I will take this up with the staff, as we do try to make sure we are clean and tidy at all times.

I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay as much as we would have liked, but I am not sure what more I can say.

Kind regards
Ian, Owner

Reviewed 5 August 2013

We stayed for 5 nights and found Jersey to be good value for money and very child friendly. Wheatlands is in an excellent position to tour the island with easy access by foot or car to the beach. Breakfast is outstanding and the staff very helpful. The room we had for 4 was large clean with a fantastic view but decoration is tired. Very good value for money. The outside space gives kids room to run and play. The smallish pool it serves its purpose my two children loved the space. Meals at the hotel were good value and the surrounding area gives loads of reasonable choices to eat out. On a cloudy day we found loads to visit and do. Really good family break.

Room Tip: So much to do in Jersey I felt that we spent little time in the room.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Rooms a bit small and dated but comfortable and clean. Good facilities and breakfast was excellent. Staff were friendly and very helpful, nothing was too much trouble. Good central location and lovely views. Excellent value for money.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Carole A
IanWheatlands, Owner at Wheatlands Hotel, Gastropub & Golf Course, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide your review. I believe it to a very fair reflection of our hotel. We really look forward to welcoming you back next time you visit our fair Isle.
Ian

Reviewed 22 July 2013

We came to jersey for the Big Gig in The Park. We were therefore only here one night. Upon Arriving, we found the hotel looked okay from the front, upon entering the hotel, we found that it was rather dated. This isn't really a problem, and unlike other reviews we didn't notice any "cooking odours". The staff were very polite and friendly. Upon arriving at the room, at a glance it looked OK if a little dated. Perfectly acceptable for a single night stay. So off we went into town and to the gig. Upon arriving back at the hotel later that evening. We went to plug in our phone chargers. We found very few electrical sockets. One by the main Double Bed. One by the TV and one by one of the two single beds. Firstly, the socket by the single bed didn't work, the shutters on it were damaged meaning that you could not plug anything in! The socket by the double bed was absolutely fine. Then came the socket by the TV. The face plate on the socket was not even screwed in place! (See Photo) It was hanging off with cables visible. and to think, THIS IS A FAMILY ROOM! It was also Ironic that all of the Electrical goods had electrical safety check stickers on them!

The other item was the TV. Although not horrendous, it was an old CRT TV with a digital box. I used to work in TV Sales and i therefore know that the boxes used were around £40. I would say that the hotel would have been much better to buy new TVs at around £100 per room. This although considerably more expensive would make it much easier for guests to use as they would have a single remote rather than two.

Unfortunately, i could not air these views to the staff as there was nobody at the desk when we came to check out. Although we had informed them that we would be leaving at 6:30am.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for your feedback. I had not been made aware of the plug socket. On investigation it turns out it had been knocked, and the fitting itself had broken away. The screws had nothing to screw into. It is being fixed. The current guests informed us there was a problem with the shower as well, and this has also been fixed. Problems do occur and I try to get them fixed as soon as possible.
We obviously take safety very seriously and so can only apologise if you feel we let you down.
It was me you told you would be leaving at 6.30am, and I did inform you that breakfast was only served from 7.30am. This is the time we open in the morning. We are not a high star rating hotel and as such the low prices we charge do not allow me to pay for staff to be up and working before breakfast begins. This is why I asked you leave your keys on the reception desk. I am sorry you felt we were not providing an adequate service in this regard.
We pride ourselves on the general service we provide, our cleanliness and our food and staff. I am sorry you did not have a chance during your short trip to find out what we are about.
Ian, owner

Reviewed 20 July 2013

We have stayed at the Wheatlands many times. The location is wonderful and quiet. The food from local producers is always excellent and the staff are friendly and very helpful. Nothing is too much trouble for the enthusiastic team. The rooms are dated, but comfortable and spotlessly clean. Excellent value for money and the views are fantastic.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your nice comments. We are pleased you enjoyed another stay with us at Wheatlands, and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards

#1 of 16 in St Brelade
Grand Jersey Hotel & Spa
Grand Jersey Hotel & Spa
#6 of 32 in St Helier

Been to Wheatlands Hotel, Gastropub & Golf Course? Share your experiences!