“Reliving the 1960s”
Review of Hotel De Normandie

Hotel De Normandie
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in StSaviour
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Went back to this hotel which I had stayed in 5 times in the 1960s. A lot had changed, a swimming pool and sauna have been added and the interior completely changed around. The rooms are well equipped with tea/coffee making on demand, tv and bathrooms good but could do with some safety measures for the more mature persons. The restaurant was full of traditional or continental breakfasts and the evening meals were in the lounge bar. The bar staff was very friendly and acquired whatever your tipple is. The weather is very mild in the Channel Islands and even your sat nav or tom tom works there. Lots of interesting places to visit and a wonderful bus service. Car Parking at the hotel is a little difficult but fail to see how they could make it any easier. The do have an overflow car park around the corner but that was always full. Hotel has free access to WiFi for residents.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view, front rooms are large and sunny and overlook the sea.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Carol F

Reviewed 19 May 2014

I stayed here fourteen years ago on my first visit to the island. Happily/sadly, it hasn't changed too much.

We always favour the west of the island so a return to the east was desirable. This hotel is perfectly located - easy walking distance to St Helier and right on the beach. It is on the road to the east and has parking. Perfect really.

The hotel has been revamped since our last stay but this is a transition from old-fashioned to basic. But, as the saying goes 'it does exactly what it says on the tin'. It's clean, it has the facilities and an indoor pool. It has free WiFi throughout which is brilliant and the rate charged was very competitive.

The room was IKEA-esque. Functional. The bathroom was okay but no added extras other than a small bar of soap and a plastic cup which was not replaced after its first use. The shower was fine, plenty of hote water, but gushed too fast for the tray to drain it so I stood in water for the duration.

Breakfast was fine - limited but fine. Nothing to disguish it from other hotels in the same bracket. Would have like some other bread alternative to sliced pan. Would also have liked some fruit yoghurt instead of only natural. The sausages, however, were wonderful! The restaurant staff were welcoming and efficient.

I had one drink in the hotel's 'Cocktail Bar' but found the decor and atmosphere too sterile for my liking. I simply wanted to drink and go.

So gripes? The whole hotel could all be a lot more customer friendly. Breakfast ends - even at the weekend - at 9.30 which is earlier than anywhere we usually stay. I asked for a late checkout of two hours and I had to pay - I never have to do this in other hotels on the island for an extra hour or two. So I paid the money and tried to snooze but Housekeeping banged on the door twice to get me to leave. I explained I'd paid. No sooner had I said this than they had Reception ring me - twice. So infuriating and I've never experienced the like - anywhere. Was my word not good enough???

The bedroom walls are like paper so from where the bed was located, I got to hear next door's bathroom habits - in full. In addition, the bathroom fan was left on for two full nights making it almost impossible to sleep. On the second night, I asked Reception to ask the guest in the next room to switch off the fan. Reception, however, rang me twice. Then came to the room, said they couldn't hear any noise and left. And so the fan kept going and I got little to no sleep for TWO nights. I asked for the hotel's assistance and got disbelief instead.

Both with requesting assistance with the fan and booking/paying for the late check-out, I felt I was disbelieved. The mistake for the check-out was on the hotel's side - all this upset and badgering to get me to leave for under two hours is quite simply unacceptable. Whatever happened to 'the customer is always right???'

Would I return? Possibly as the price and location suits but only for a very short stay. More than three days in that room and I'd go gaga.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank MGMcShane
Reviewed 11 May 2014

The rooms are fine, but l got two single beds together instead of the double bed l booked. Location is ok is you don't mind a 20m walk to town. Breakfast was quite poor ( Continental, if we can call the addition of fruits to a an English breakfast continental! ! ). We came to Jersey in a quite chilly weekend and the room was freezing. It was ok but l would certainly not come back or recommend it!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 117LauG
Reviewed 9 May 2014

The bathroom was in serious need of renovation but was clean. The room and hotel excellent for the price and close enough to walk into St Helier. Car park very tight but free. Staff were friendly and helpful.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alex M
Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed there for 5 nights and it was lovely, friendly staff and rooms were spotless, cleaned every day, rooms were so big and beds very comfortable, great access to town and right on beach, would stay again and very reasonable price

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank kakamaguire
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Went here with friends for the Easter Weekend, friday to monday. Asked for adjacent rooms, got rooms opposite, perfect. Large rooms & bathrooms, which were very clean, Very large beds and comfortable. Breakfast plentiful and very nice staff. Only letdowns, bar closes at 11pm but minatures available 24hrs from reception (which we used!!), pool area very dark but nice for a dip and jaccuzzi. All in all a great weekend, made perfect with good friends :-) A break is what you make it in my opinion......

Room Tip: Views better from front, but noisier from the road,depends what you are after,
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

Booked here for a one night business trip with 2 colleagues.Lucky only one night Hotel is in need of updating a bit smelly in the rooms and bedding. Shower took an age to get hot not happy showeringin with the black Mould.

You get what you pay for nearly.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near StSaviour
1 mi away
#20 of 31 in St Helier
Beachcombers Hotel
Beachcombers Hotel
#1 of 2 in Grouville

Been to Hotel De Normandie? Share your experiences!