Merton Hotel
US$160
Hampshire Hotel(St Helier)
TripAdvisor
1,780 results
All reviewsstar roomflow riderkids clubkids zonejersey joesfamily suitepool complexst helierbuffet restaurantaqua domelobby barevening entertainmenthalf boardhoward davis parkamerican dinerbunk bedsgreat family hotel
Reviewed 3 May 2013

From our reception at the main desk to when we left, the administration was extremly welcoming and slick. The restaurant staff were very efficient, very attentive and the food excellent. We were just sorry that the Italian restaurant was taken by a private engagement! The staff of a hotel make a hotel and your staff were quite exceptional.

John & Victoria

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 May 2013

Stayed here for a week with my sister just to relax and explore Jersey. Merton is in a great location and we found it nice and quiet out of season, we were really the only younger ones there and we are mid - late twenties. I can imagine it being packed with kids during summer but with its facilities I think it would suit them.

The room was a good size, it wasn't a refurbished one but very clean with comfy beds and a great power shower in the bathroom. We played in the pool a few times, good facilities including slide, surf machine and large sauna/steam rooms.

The food was the best part of this hotel hands down. Breakfast did not disappoint I can't believe some of the bad comments on here, the buffet was great and the food excellent quality. We didn't need lunch most days!! I have to mention Bonetti's too and have tried to create its own profile on here as no1 else has yet, the food is beautiful and so well presented, imaginitive and affordable. They gave us a 10% discount on check in. I had the pesto chicken with cream tomatoes and dauphinoise potatoes. Got to have the salted caramel choc mousse for dessert!

The only thing we didn't like about this hotel was the conduct of some of the staff. Being a duty manager in a hotel back home I am always on the lookout for this! The lady who checked us in was lovely and so helpful, along with the tall black guy on concierge, couldn't have been nicer to us so no complaints there. There was one particular member of concierge team who would not leave us alone, we had not got into any conversation with him at all but he kept repeatedly leaving reception to come over to us in the bar, not even to talk but just to walk past and stare. As we wanted to drink in the bar most evenings this made us quite uncomfortable when we saw him. On the last night my sister had gone upstairs and once I was alone, a member of the restaurant staff came with a paper and pen to ask me for my name and contact details so his 'mate' could add me on facebook. He said it was one of the bar staff, no idea if this was true as I hadn't got talking to a single one of them! I would have been horrified if one of my guests told me this had happened at my workplace!! I felt very embarassed and awkward (mostly for him) as there were other people sat around me and he looked pretty stupid when I declined to give my name.

I had also done a comments card and handed it in which looking back would have had my contact details on it, so my sister went to speak with the lady on reception who had checked us in, she told her about this incident with the barman and asked for my comment card back as we didn't want any of them seeing our contact details. She was very understanding though and said she would report it, I think perhaps they should be paying more attention to the conduct of their staff. The barman in question was playing with his phone the entire evening also which I thought looked very unprofessional but no managers seemed to bat an eyelid. If they picked up on this I think it would greatly improve the place and be much more efficient. The leisure centre staff also seemed to be in a different world to the hotel staff, very moody with no smiles, greetings or information given.

One last thing to add, we booked a taxi for 5.15am to the airport with a girl on the desk who laughed at my sister when she called them, we wondered why this was but then in the morning found that the airport doesn't open until 6am and the taxi did not turn up until about 5.40 to take us. I'm sure it's common knowledge to people in Jersey the airport opens at 6am but how would any tourists know that?!

All in all though a great stay and our experiences around the island made the trip special. We did not have a bad or even average meal the entire time we were there and that is unusual on holiday! We will definately be back and probably stay in the Merton again although next time we will bring our boyfriends!! :-)

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Seymourgroup, General Manager at Merton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2013

Thank you for your very comprehensive review of your stay. We are delighted that you enjoyed your break at the hotel, however we are very concerned to hear your account of one of our staffs behaviour. This is a very rare occurence and we are trying to contact you directly in order to address the incident properly.

Reviewed 30 April 2013

The Merton Hotel was outstanding: fabulous food; comfortable rooms; fantastic swimming pool complex; polite and friendly staff; pleasant surroundings. Five stars! This was one of the best holiday hotels we have stayed in. Ken & Pam.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 April 2013

We recently stayed in the Merton after reading about the half board offer. All booking made prior to a certain date received free half board. When booking this offer I e mailed to ensure the offer had been added to my sty - I recd no response. Then a week before our stay I recd a pre welcome meal again I replied requesting an update on the half board offer - again no response. Once we arrived at the hotel I was advised we didn't have the offer because we'd paid in full hen booking ??!! After a detailed discussion the manager did allow the offer to our stay but not before we had argued about it. We were allocated a room next to a lift shaft which at certain times of the day , evening and mornings, was very noisy and disturbing. The room was in a corner and the view from the window looked onto the roof and into the room opposite - all this did not help the stay.
The manager was also not able to explain why neither of my emails had been responded to.
It's a nice hotel but unfortunately this experience has left me feeling we would not book again - still no explanation why e mails were not responded to. we also felt unable to say anything about the room quality after the booking issues.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 April 2013

We paid around 665 for b n b for peak time battle of the flowers. The price for which we got is a bit of. Let done as you can do all inclusive in other countries for the same price if not cheaper. The entertainment which I seen did seem of good quality with a big family entertainment room. He main restaurant for breakfast is good and gives you the normal English breakfast and the other regulars . The ala carte evening in the restaurant the menu does seem expensive from 22 pound per dish although thee is a American diner at the hotel and you can et sandwiches etc from the bar in the lounge area / pub.

The room are standard and a bit old fashioned English with carpets as the weather isn't the greatest for the tiled floor of other countries. The beds do need to be addressed as mostly twin beds which are held together our bed did have a sharp object sticking out I guessed is suppose to hold the beds together .

The pool and shop is on the other side of the road and does have good facilities and water slides and wave machine , just lacks the kid friendly road your kids would need to get across and would need to be guided over. It is cheaper to go to restaurants and the local pubs around jersey which is good value , and advice a car to get around the island for best value of money. There is a car park but this can be used and abused as many cars tend to double park making it very hard to park and look after your hire car without working of scratching the car. The overall holiday was good and is best to use the hotel and room as the base of your adventures and is located in the centre of all the bars and restaurants.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Seymourgroup, General Manager at Merton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2013

Thank you for your very comprehensive review of the Merton Hotel and the facilities. We do take all feedback seriously and will ensure that the points that you have raised are looked in to so that we can improve on our service and quality.
We are continually reviewing our products and that said we have made many improvements since you stayed with us nearly 3 years ago. We do hope that if you do choose to return to Jersey that you will come back and stay at the Merton Hotel.