“Great place to stay”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in StSaviour
Essex
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed 7 July 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights at the end of June / early July and were so pleased to pick this hotel. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful. The rooms we had (544 and 545) were very well presented, beds comfortable and bathroom although quite small was perfectly adequate. The shower was great. Eventhough the rooms faced the main road the noise levels were never so bad that we had to close the windows at night. The hotel is around a 15 minute walk from Liberation Station in the centre of town. No point waiting for a bus as it's an easy enough walk.
The breakfast selection was fantastic. Just about everyone would be catered for here. Food was fresh and loads of choice. We had dinner once at the hotels Belvedere restaurant which we were very satisfied with. Each night there is a different theme and we ate on the Mediterranean night. Again loads of choice at this buffet restaurant and the quality was good too. On our first night we ate at Jersey Joe's American themed diner. Although basically a burger bar the choice was good and the food very tasty. Certainly no complaints with this hotels restaurants.
On a couple of occasions we used the Aquadome which was fun. The main pool was a little chilly but ok. The spa pools were a great place to relax. Quite a bit to do in here which will certainly appeal to kids. We had a 15 and a 16 year old with us who said it was good but they said the Aquasplash in the centre of St Helier was better for them. Given the Aquadome is free though it was an excellent facility to have on your doorstep.
Overall I cannot fault this hotel. The atmosphere was very relaxed and there is plenty going on in the Star rooms (Singers and performers) and hotel lobby where each night there is a guest pianist by the lobby bar. I would certainly stay here again. Definitely good value for money.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
Coventry
Reviewed 5 July 2013

We stayed at the Merton Hotel for the sixth time in June. We used to stay every year but haven't been since 2008. I have reviewed it before with the statement "nothing bad to say" but although we did enjoy it, I have to agree that the standard has gone down.

We used to eat most nights in Bonetti's but as the menu has now changed to a majority of pizzas and pasta we only ate there once at night. The menu up until 6.00 pm was better, burgers and toasties. The breakfast was nice but not as good as we have experienced in the past. My parents came with us for the first time and thoroughly enjoyed it, not knowing what it used to be like (missed the fresh toast on the table!)

The room was lovely, clean and bright. The beds was so comfortable I thought I was sleeping in my bed at home. The maids did a fantastic job! My son had a single room and I must admit I thought paying £450 for this box room (it was smaller than his bedroom at home) was a bit steep. Our room was at the back of the hotel and it was very noisy, traffic and at the weekend very loud shouting. We have stayed in all different parts of the hotel and this was the worst though it still was a lovely room inside.

The main complaint was the disabled bays. My dad is disabled and very often we couldn't park in the disabled bays as they were so narrow and people kept parking opposite on the yellow line meaning that we couldn't get in. This happened on several occasions and we had to drop my dad outside the reception and park in the big car park. Then when we went out again we had to drive around the block again to pick him up outside reception again as it is a one way street. Very annoying. I'm glad to read from a previous review that the Hotel will be looking in to this.

The entertainment was excellent. We only missed one night. Also we enjoyed the quizzes. It was nice to come back from eating out to some good entertainment.

The hotel is situated in a great place. A short walk from the Howard Davis park and the town centre (though too far for my dad). We drove in to the Sand Street car park and hired him a mobility scooter. He was going to hire one for the week but on seeing the hotel corridors, he couldn't ride the scooter anywhere near his room so decided against it, although there were points to charge the scooters up in several places.

I did enjoy the holiday, but I think the problem is that we have been so many times before and the standard does seem to have gone down, saying that I think we may return in a few years.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the gardens
1 Thank Cilla0804
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2013

We stayed at this hotel in June 2013 for 5 nights (bed and breakfast) It was a lovely hotel, very clean, great choice of places to eat, great choice at breakfast. Perfect location. The pool was great fun. The bed was the most comfortable bed iv ever slept in. Would definately recommend.

Redditch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2013

We stayed for one week on a bed and breakfast basis in June 2013 and found the Merton lived up to our expectations. The breakfast was excellent with plenty of choice to suit all palates. We also sampled Bonitto's Italian restaurant in the hotel and the Belvedere restaurant in the hotel and the food was equally as good. The room was very comfortable and the staff very friendly. We particularly liked the cabaret with live entertainment, mostly of a professional standard. For those rainy days (yes - Jersey does have typically British weather) the leisure centre came in useful and the pool was very inviting. Being a short 10 to 15 minute walk to town the hotel is well located but in a quiet area of St. Helier. We would have no hesitation in recommending the Merton.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor with a garden view
Aylesford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I have to agree with a previous review regarding the food at the Merton: I arrived home on Sunday after our third stay at the Hotel.

I was looking forward to our holiday as we have stayed at the Merton twice before and had always found the staff very accommodating and helpful; the food had also been one of the high lights with a good and comprehensive breakfast menu, but the quality has fallen drastically the breakfast food in particular leaves a lot to be desired: 1) The sausages are baked and therefore generally over cooked, hard to cut and very chewy
2) The eggs are left on the hot plate and become very rubbery and totally inedible
3) the bacon is discoloured and curled up with brittle edges to it
4) finally the toast is precooked and left on the hot plate resulting in it being virtually (if not totally) inedible: it's hard, brittle and mostly cold.

My second complaint is the disabled bays: they are not suitable for disabled persons; I'm a wheel chair user but was unable to get out of my vehicle easily as the bays are normal width and not wide enough to be able to open the doors to the maximum width to alight the vehicle easily; it became necessary for my husband to park on the road, help me out of the car and into my wheel chair, I was then left at the side of the road or on the pavement (causing on obstruction to other pedestrians) whilst he then parked the car again.

There are seven bays which were suitable for those who had reasonable mobility, but really not suited to wheel chair users. I was dismayed to see how many of the disabled parking bays were being abused by those who have no mobility issues or indeed disability but had a badge (maybe an elderly relatives badge being used by those too lazy to park in the other car park) we witnessed two couples alight from their cars, run across the road and up the steps to avoid the rain! I would swap with them in a heartbeat for good mobility again.

The Merton is good hotel and has great entertainment and is ideal for family stays, but after our last stay I'm unsure whether we will return due to the poor food and the difficult parking. I'm sorry to say this was not as good a stay as the previous two.

Room Tip: If a wheel chair user and unable to pre book a disabled room, ask for rooms that have no awkward tur...
1 Thank Christabelle176
Seymourgroup, General Manager at Merton Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2013
Thank you for your very full review of The Merton hotel
We were pleased to know that this was a repeat visit, but of course, disappointed that your expectations were not met on this occasion.
Our buffet breakfasts are generally regarded as one of the highlights of a stay, with a wide choice and good quality of food and presentation. We continuously work to ensure that quality is monitored at all times, and that the buffet is presented in an appetising way. Our Head Chef and Food and Beverage Team will now take further steps to monitor all food standards at every meal
It is of course, always a good idea for any issues to be brought to our attention during your stay so that we can take steps to ensure the rest of your stay is of the standards you have come to expect of our hotel.
Many guests in wheelchairs are welcomed to The Merton each year and we do our utmost to ensure their stay is as enjoyable as everyone else’s.
It is a shame that the disabled parking area was very busy during your stay, but as you say, it is always possible to stop immediately outside the hotel.
We will be reviewing the disabled parking bays at the end of the main season and hope to make some of them wider to allow for easier wheelchair access.
We very much hope that these two incidents will not deter you from returning again.
Manchester
Reviewed 24 June 2013

The hotel was booked by my client, so not my own choice (they informed me the normal hotel they use was very busy that week so they had booked me into their sister hotel) , this is a large hotel / complex with a pool complex over the road, (not exactly a water park but would be fun for kids) the hotel appears to me to be a family hotel, and has clearly evolved over the years looking at the architecture, there was a kids play area and such, a downstairs cabaret type lounge (with acts) an american dinner, Italian restaurant and large self service style restaurant too. I was on the 6th floor and it took me a good few minutes to work out how to get there.! The lift I used was rickety to say the least. and very noisy my room was maybe 5 or six rooms away and I could hear the lift very clearly.

Room was functional but Bathroom was small, fine for a three day business trip but for a longer stay I would want a bit more room. There was a small table to work from Iron and board and unusually these days plenty of power sockets for the plethora of equipment the average professional carries these days. WiFi was simply ridiculous and for working professionals this is an absolute must these days) there was good Access in Lobby Areas though so I worked down there not at all ideal.

Overall I was not quite sure what to make of the place, from a marketing perspective I couldn't quite work out what the target audience was, the week I was there the place was full of elderly (not quite coffin dodgers!! lol) but certainly not young families which I thought it might of been targeted at in the past. There were a few kids but not many.

On the food front, I tried all three restaurants, the self service was plentiful but poor quality food, (and too much of a scrummage for me to go again) I had a pizza in the Italian which I thought would of been a very safe bet. However this was about the worst pizza I have ever experienced in my many travels, wine selection was weak too (although service was good). The american dinner was empty most nights but quite fun, (typical burger type stuff but served beer too which was nice. the fact I had the best restaurant experience in an empty American Dinner kinda says it all, .

Room Tip: lower level floors might have better wifi access
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Seymourgroup, General Manager at Merton Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your stay at The Merton Hotel
We are sorry that you felt the facilities provided were not suitable for your business trip.
We have a number of corporate guests, many of whom return on a regular basis, to use the Aquadome gym and pool, enjoy the lively atmosphere and choice of restaurants and bars
Specific guest comments are always addressed: the lift in question is being refurbished this winter. Our entire Wifi system is currently being updated and extended and will be launched soon. We are dependent on third party companies for this but are hopeful that this will be imminent.
We are sorry that you did not enjoy the food in any of our outlets. We always request that if you have any problems you bring it to the Manager’s attention as soon as possible, to allow us to rectify the situation at the time.
We appreciate that this was a one off stay due to the Pomme d'Or Hotel being fully booked at the time, but we hope that you will return at some time in the future.
Omagh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2013

We stayed at the Merton two years ago and enjoyed it that much we decided to celebrate our Big birthday here. The Hotel is spotless and the food of excellent quality. The hotel is central to the town centre and a two minute walk from Howard Davis Park. The staff are very helpful and entertainment provided every night is of a high standard. This hotel is really worth staying at.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near StSaviour
Radisson Blu Waterfront Hotel, Jersey
#2 of 32 in St Helier
Grand Jersey Hotel & Spa
Grand Jersey Hotel & Spa
#5 of 32 in St Helier

Been to Merton Hotel? Share your experiences!