“Bad stay”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in StSaviour
Guernsey, United Kingdom
“Bad stay”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

My family stayed at the Merton Hotel in Jersey over the Easter weekend which I am sorry to say was a complete disappointment. Our three boys aged 5 1/2 yrs, 4 yrs and 19 months were so excited to be going away (not so much the littlest one as he doesn't have a clue what's going on) - the older two were counting down the 'sleeps' til our trip. To sum up - we were not allowed to swim in the pool together as a family because each of our young children needed to have one adult looking after each of them. I had actually phoned ahead of our trip to check the swimming policy as someone had mentioned in passing that there were swimming pool rules - and the hotel receptionist told me (after I told him our kids' ages) that we would not have any problems swimming. Well my husband swam with one of our kids while I looked after the two others on the side of the pool - can you imagine how that went down. Then I went swimming with one of the other kids - and this carried on for 30 minutes before we all had enough.

We went for dinner at the hotel Belvedere at 5.45pm with the kids but we were told that we couldn't eat with the kids until 6.30pm. So when the kids finished eating at about 6.10pm we then sat with them all tired - the littlest one crying and screaming - waiting for us adults to be allowed to go to the buffet. My husband quickly ate first while I dealt with the kids - then we swapped. Not a pleasant dining experience for us or anyone else!

Our bed was a trampoline - my husband disappeared into it and when I got in I rolled into him - which I wouldn't normally mind! But we were shattered so sleep was a necessity! We got no sleep. But it wasn't just the bed which kept us awake - it was the people upstairs who must have had their kids simultaneously jumping non stop out of their bunk beds - the noise on our ceiling was absolutely ridiculous! The noise went on at night til they went eventually to bed and resumed at 6am in the morning! We made three complaints about it until the Manager came to our room to witness the noise on the 2nd night! He shook his head and went to tell them off! It finally stopped!

They also had our room next to the door to the Kids Zone - so we had troops of parents and kids yelling and running up and down the corridor until just before 9pm each night! Marvelous! But then we had the lovely piano playing across the corridor in the lounge which went on until late - plus the Ladies' toilets where every 2 seconds someone needed to dry their hands - can you imagine the noise from these driers in our room!

Apart from not sleeping, not being able to eat together, not being able to swim together - we actually had a really fantastic time in Jersey at the Amaizin Maze, Zoo and beaches! To be fair we liked the Manager very much who was incredibly apologetic - but even so - I couldn't possibly not pass on to other innocent travelers what happened on our stay at the Merton! Sorry.

Room Tip: Unfortunately we don't know where in the hotel would suit to have a good experience
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Sarah L
Seymourgroup, General Manager at Merton Hotel, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Sarah L, thank you very much for your comments and feedback. As always we take all feedback, both good and bad very seriously.
We are sorry that your overall experience of the hotel was not a good one. Our pool rules, that we display on our website are for the safety of all our guests and I'm sure you'll understand that we have to abide by these rules. We have however ensured all our staff (including receptionists) are fully versed to ensure the correct information is given prior to arrival.
Our special children's eating time has proved to be exceptionally popular over the years and was designed to be practical for families of children of all ages. We are sorry that this did not work for you.
With regards to the noise levels across the hotel and in particular above your room, I am obviously pleased that we were able to assist and manage the problem immediately that we were informed.
Easter Holidays are always a busy time in the Merton Hotel but we do our utmost to ensure that everyone has a great time and sorry that you did not feel this way.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (416)
Tonbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Great room (576) - well two really with separate room for bunk beds plus hallway felt more like an apartment. Aquadome was fabulous - very clean and safe with attentive life guards. Good base with St Helier easy walk. My only tip is to update the window dressings - less net curtains to let more light in and get rid of the dreadful curtain pelmets - it'd immediately modernise the place without much effort.

Room Tip: 576 - slightly bigger family room with space in hall for buggy due to layout.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank TheBlindsLady
Bromley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Stayed at the Merton from 14th to 18th April on my own with my 5 year old daughter. I was a little daunted at travelling alone with her so picked a hotel that promised entertainment for kids. The hotel is located about 20 minutes in a taxi from the airport (cost £20 - but arrived in the evening rush hour so in would imagine usually costs less than this).

Upon arrival we were very quickly checked in and allocated a room on 2nd floor, room was ok, twin beds, bathroom with bath tub and shower, unfortunately at the same time we arrived so did a huge children's sports group of around 80 kids, all staying on our floor and basically running around and doing what kids do best...being kids. I went to speak to a very nice and helpful man on reception who said that he would work on moving us while we ate dinner in the hotel restaurant - we chose The Belvedere for a buffet meal (which was very nice) (- if you are on bed and breakfast then make sure that you ask at reception for a discount voucher for the restaurants if you are staying at the hotel - you get between 10 & 15% off the food part of the bill). During the meal the gentleman came to find us and advised that the only room they could offer would be at the Merton Suites, next door to the main hotel, there was a small cost per night to move, which I agreed to and they had the porter help us move after dinner. Now this apartment was a durrel suite and it was AMAZING!!! I would absolutely recommend these suites to anyone with kids, I will certainly be staying there on our next visit.

Next came the kids entertainment, my daughter was on her own with me and as she decided that she didn't want to go to the early evening kids club I was a little worried that she wouldnt want to join in with the kids show...I shouldn't have worried, she loved it!! The guy running the show, i think was called Lee, was phenomenal, he got the kids into the action within seconds and kept their attention the whole way through the hour long show. They do party dances and games and it was entertaining to watch, and join in as he gets you up there doing the dances with them!! On the last night of our holiday it was someone else running the show and my daughter was dissaponted as apparently he didn't know the dance moves as well as Lee!!

I have stayed at many hotels and have never met such a helpful and friendly bunch as at the Merton, nothing is too much trouble, as I was on my own I was worried that we would be a little lost..I needn't have worried, we didn't want to leave!

We are booking again for the end of July and I can't wait.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Katmatthews81
London
Reviewed 16 April 2014

This is a bit late, but we stayed at the Merton Hotel for 5 nights during October half term 2013. We had a really good break despite the weather being rainy and windy!

The Hotel room was a bit dated as well as part of the hotel. But it was clean and comfortable enough to sleep. We have requested a room with a garden and sea view and that was exactly what we got which was excellent!

The breakfast and dinner there are both very good. There were a lot of choices of food even for the fussy eater. ( my 5 yr old!)

The entertainment was fantastic, it had variation each night for the different types of audience. We enjoyed it all. The entertainment manager was really great with the kids.

The swimming pool is across the road and the outdoor Flowrider thing was brilliant and a bit different. It was a shame that my son was "too light" for it, but they were good to refund us.

The town isn't very far to walk either, you walk through a little park and then all downhill. We visited the beach too and can imagine how good it is in the summer.

I would definitely recommend this hotel for families with kids.

Room Tip: high floor seaview is great.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Chipping Ongar, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We have stayed at The Merton many times now and expect to do so again. It is clean, the beds are comfy and the food is great. Staff are very helpful. Rooms overlooking the garden are quieter than those overlooking the road (obviously) but we've been happy with both. Great for kids so best avoid the school holidays if you want a quieter stay!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank gordon a
Telford
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Wonderful weeks stay at the Merton - lovely clean hotel, staff are very friendly and helpful. The food in the Belevedere restaurant is superb, I am a vegetarian and there was at least 4 main courses on the buffet each evening - no duplication of menu for the week! Loved the food excellent choice and a special thanks to Peter the restaurant manager and David, they are very special people in a very special hotel

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank sueandbrianlinedance
Also consider these accommodations in or near StSaviour
Pomme d'Or Hotel
Radisson Blu Waterfront Hotel, Jersey
Hotel De Normandie
Hotel De Normandie
#3 of 5 in StSaviour

Been to Merton Hotel? Share your experiences!