“Fantastic child-friendly hotel with lovely pool + Flowrider!”
Review of Merton Hotel

Merton Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in StSaviour
Reviewed 31 October 2009

Room recently renovated (inc bathroom).
Help yourself buffet with surprisingly good food.
Family entertainment in the evenings.
Fantastic pool complex, a proper mini centreparcs with Sauna, Steam Room, 3 Jacuzzis (one outdoor) and a lazy river area. Also incuding a Flowrider surf machine (only £2.50 per tutored session).
Spent several hours each day in here - my 8yr old was in heaven.

Only slight downsides:
Room was near road and was a bit noisy.
Buffet was a bit of a scrum at busy times, but never took more than 10mins and lovely food.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank shentodj

Reviewed 28 October 2009

We were there at the same time as the previous correspondent and cannot disagree more. It was half term but it was great to see the place buzzing with the kids from the swimming clubs who were a tad noisy perhaps but very well behaved. As with previous correspondents we found everything from food to room, to staff, excellent. The 'Scrum' in the dining area at peaktime could have been avoided by either going in earlier or later or, and this is radical, teach the daft as a brush Yanks what a queuing system is, what clockwise means and to follow the lead set by the brits. This was only a problem on Sunday Night.
We thought the cost unbelievaby good, as much as you wanted to eat and a bottle of a good South African wine the bill was £47.50 (we were on a B&B deal)

We ate in town one night and highly recommend Rosa Bistro in the Fish Market, get there early or book, the food was, in my partners words, 'bloody outstanding'.

This is a great venue for anyone as it has noisy areas and quiet spots, a bit like the rest of the island which we saw on a Tantivy Blue Bus Tour with the Scouse Driver who was himself brilliant, very knowledgable and witty.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kim H
Reviewed 26 October 2009

I stayed in the Merton as part of a package weekend which included 2 days at the Durrell Zoo, booked through the Merton Website. My room could have easily have been a travel lodge room, small twin, efficient furniture. Shower, bath etc all as expected. One good thing is that my towels were always left on my rail where I put them, unlike other hotels who say they will not wash them but take them anyway. Flat screen phillips TV but it only had one radio channel ( classic) and when I asked i was advised this could not be changed. If you are a radio junkie take one with you. My TV did not seem to play the in house movies without a noisy undertone. Room temperature was good, heater i could turn on and off and open close windows as I wanted. At night time the room wasvery quiet, this was exceptional but may have said more about the other occupants at that time than the general soundrpoofing.
The hotel communal areas are well designed with various bars and cafes and everything was clean everywhere. The problem was in teh Belvedere restaurant where there were large queues for dinner and whilst the staff did replenish al lthe food very quickly the whole atmosphere was one of a scrum and free for all and did not lead itself at all to a relaxing evening, just getting through the experience of getting up and down to get 3 courses was exhausting. It was half term and clearly this hotel is geared up for families and not for couples or groups of adults. The food itself was faultless on volume however teh vegetarian options lacked protein and the deserts were the same every night. If you were there for a 7 days you may get tired of the same thing no matter how well cooked it was. Breakfast was also the same each day and there were no boiled eggs only scrambled which was bland and cardboardy and fried. The toast was not fresh. The problem wiht hte food overall is it is mass and fairly cheap catering for many people in a short time. Definetly more upper end school dinner style.
The drinks are expensive, the cheapest bottle of wine being 15.5 pounds for something that would probably cost around 5.99 in the supermarket.

I used the gym and the pool, but did not attempt to go in the pool once all the half termers had arrived. The water temperature was good. I particulalry liked swimming outside in the open air as the water was heated enoughto do that.
The staff were all very helpful until there was a problem they could not understand or remedy, when my bill was wrong on departure they didnt seem to know what to do.
This is a good value hotel but I would NEVER stay there again in school holidays or half term. Everyone there is working very hard to deal with the mass market approach, this is sucessful and if you are expecting that you wont be disappointed. Just dont go for R&R and intimacy!

• Stayed: October 2009
Reviewed 13 October 2009

I flew back over to Jersey alone this time for the Jersey Rally and I have to say again the Merton is as good as ever. the room was very good as it has always been during my 4th visit in the 4 years I have been to the Jersey Rally and the Merton.
Breakfast is excellent and I had my evening meals in Bonnetti's and was met again by Dora, sadly Donald is no longer there and these two where the usual smiling faces we where greeted year in year out. The new staff in Bonnetti's where very very pleasant and helpful.
I will continue to stay at the Merton as long as I visit Jersey and the Jersey Rally

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank 6R4ONLINENEWS
Reviewed 12 October 2009

My first visit to Jersey and I booked Merton based on it's wide selection of inclusive amenties, and it was ideal for a short stay. A choice of restaurants, bars and diners, excellent indoor /outdoor pools, gym and the FlowRider - my husband was ecstatic!
The decor is perhaps a little dated, but everywhere was spotless, the staff (and people of Jersey on the whole) have got to be the friendliest and most helpful I've ever met. They really took the time to recall you, your name and your room to best assist you when booking taxi's/giving information or even just saying hello. Everyone seemed to have a smile on their face and even during the busiest times - our visit coincided with the Jersey Rally so the hotel was heaving some days - the service was speedy and no corners were cut.
Breakfast was generous and wide ranging, and always delicious. We didn't eat an evening meal at the hotel but did visit the Jersey Joe's diner, which is adorable in it's 50's USA style, great food and yummy sundaes! Wireless internet in rooms would have been good, but internet was available in the lobby and it was kind of nice not having it for a few days. Balcony or terrace would also have been nice, but we did have a sea view room and there were enough areas around the complex to enjoy outdoor drinks and dining with pleasant surroundings.
Location is ideal for those who don't want to be 'in the thick of it' but are close enough for convenience. It's an unhurried walk into the centre of St Helier (approx. 30mins if you wander via the beach, admiring the views or inland more direct route 15-20mins, via the park and depending how long your legs are!) although a taxi was about £4.50 for the distance. Because Merton is central it's ideal for exploring and is a good base for going North to Durrell, West to Gorey and Mont Orgueil, Central for St Heliers shopping, museums and restaurants, and East for the Airport and the War Tunnels. Buses are regular from St Helier and the bottom of the road at Merton and cheap - although we mainly taxi'ed everywhere, as the costs of hiring a vehicle, fuelling it and parking would have put us in the same price bracket anyway and it would have been something else requiring responsibility! But as the island is so small, fares were reasonable for the convenience of door to door service, cheery drivers and never waiting more than a few minutes for a car.
Make sure you visit the Old Smugglers Inn in Portelet Bay if you can, a real hidden gem, truly in the middle of nothing and the locals are just brilliant in this pirate style free house - food is fab and served fast even when bursting at the seams.
Attractions in Jersey are not always cheap, neither are prices at some of the nicer restaurants and bars, but we both felt it was worth every penny to not be surrounded by moronic 18-30's chavs and the binge culture. We are late 20's and wanted a quiet, culture filled break and that's what we got. We were probably the youngest people around most of the time, and we loved that maturity having 'old heads' ourselves! If you are after a weekend of drinking shots, semi clad women dancing around poles and booming nightclubs with flashing lights, don't bother going to Jersey.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DarkGoddessRising
Reviewed 11 October 2009

Arrived back from the Merton on Friday after a 4-night stay. Having been brought up staying at the Pomme D'Or, I booked the Merton on the basis that it was part of the same hotel group. From the initial reservation enquiry with Alicja, through to our departure with Jason, we experienced complete perfection. As hotel managers ourselves we can be extremely picky, but I cannot honestly fault anything about this hotel. All the staff were consistently friendly and helpful, clean and smartly dressed, the service was excellent, and we were made to feel extremely welcome. The hotel was great for our 20-month old daughter, with Georgie's playroom and the indoor pool. Children's early tea was excellent, the food was excellent, and this could easily be a 4 star hotel in my opinion. Our room (349) was very comfortable, spotlessly clean, lovely chambermaid who arranged our daughter's toys in her cot in a different way every day - little touches that go a long way. It isn't often these days that people get things right, but credit where it's due, the Merton has got it right, and we will most definitely be back. Thank you for a wonderful time.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 October 2009

We arrived at lunchtime the reception area was really busy we were dealt with quickly and a porter helped us with our cases.
Our room was nicely decorated and very clean we also got internet connection in our room.
The entertainment that we saw on our first evening was very good but drinks were very expensive.
Breakfast was excellent there was so much choice.
We did not eat in as we like to try different places.
The weather was really good for the time of year but I would like to come back to the Merton in the summer.
There is plenty of places to sit and relax and if you want to stroll into St Helier it is a lovely walk through the Howard Davis park.
We have been going to the same hotel for the past 6 years and I am glad we tried the Merton this year.
We booked with Condor Breaks and it was a good price which included bringing the car.
Cant wait for next year.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near StSaviour
Radisson Blu Waterfront Hotel, Jersey
#5 of 31 in St Helier
Monterey Hotel
Monterey Hotel
#7 of 31 in St Helier

Been to Merton Hotel? Share your experiences!