“A Bargain of a Trip”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Trinity
Durrell Wildlife Hostel
Warrington, England, United Kingdom
“A Bargain of a Trip”
Reviewed 25 August 2013

We have been staying with family in Guernsey, and came over to Jersey for the weekend to see the wildife park. With small children, it was easier stay overnight than take a late ferry back.

We picked the hostel initially because the camping was fully booked and it had come recommended from a friend of my aunt's. It was impressively cheap - seven of us split into two bedrooms for the night plus a ticket for the wildlife park came in around £100.

The initial impression is that the place is a little home-made, but Joshua and company seem to do a decent job and clearly care very much about the place. The rooms are decent - were upstairs in 'Thylacine', and though one of the lights didn't work, the beds were very comfortable and there was a fan which, though very loud, worked well in our stuffy room. We had all our towels, although my aunt and cousins had none in their room.

The showers and loos were as good as could be expected, but they are ultimately what prevents the place from having a higher rating. They were quiet however and there's no problem in getting showers in the morning or evening.

The kitchens were decent although we only used them for breakfast and the lounge looked quite good but was rarely used as there was a rather awkward atmosphere. The library was also empty, which was great news for me as it enabled me to flick through old Chester Zoo newsletters as I pleased.

Wi-fi was available in the foyer, I think it came from the academy building or the computer lab which is why it wasn't available in the rest of the hostel. The computer lab was free to access, but the computers were a little outdated and were rather slow.

So although the accommodation was hardly glamorous, it was a good night's sleep, and with wildlife park tickets included it was a bargain.

Room Tip: Don't go in the top rooms as they get very hot and stuffy, and maybe avoid being just by the toi...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
London
Reviewed 12 August 2013

This is a tough one to review. How much do you downgrade accommodation based on the other guests?

We are long-standing YHA members, avid Durrell supporters and annual visitors to Jersey so the opening of the Durrell YHA seemed perfect.

However, the group of students sharing the hostel failed to subscribe to the YHA ethos. They left the kitchen, breakfast room and loos in a terrible state and spent the hours from 11:00pm to 2:00am rampaging and screaming through the corridors in an inebriated state.

Apparently they were warned twice by Josh, the hostel manager, but to no avail. We’ve never had this problem in YHAs in the Lake District or Northumberland so perhaps the staff here need to be more visible.

Our family room was clean and large, although quite noisy near the stairs and with bedroom doors / fire doors banging. A more pleasant noise was the wonderful early morning (5:30am) cries from the lemurs just the other side of the garden.

The kitchen was large and well equipped. Breakfast was minimal - DIY toast & cereal. It appeared there was an additional charge if you wanted to cook yourself breakfast.

The laundry room was locked on every occasion we wanted to use it and the staff were never around. The YHA had a large garden, free wi-fi in reception, plenty of parking, free entry to the zoo and was situated on the beautiful northern coast of the island.

Accommodation prices in Jersey are exorbitant so we will still consider the YHA next year but will keep our fingers crossed that the fellow guests are more like-minded.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank tiberius_nero
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 21 July 2013 via mobile

I booked this hostel totally blind, from Australia for the only night I had managed to save from a packed itineray for a visit to the Durrell Wildlife Conservation Park. As a child in Australia the Durrell books captivated me so I was determined that this time I would visit. At first it seemed that all accommodation nearby was booked even though it was 6 months in advance. I am not young and knew I would have a large heavy suitcase so accomodation is a bigger issue than for the young and free. I wanted to maximise my time at the Park. The Hostel was a godsend! The grounds and the building are beautiful. The place is clean and the beautiful gardens well maintained.

Joshua and ? Catherine (I apologise, I forgot to ask her name but she knows who she is) were very welcoming and accommodating of my needs even though they were very busy with participants in a two week course, a large group of French schoolchildren camped on the lawn and assorted other guests including family groups. They allowed me to leave my heavy suitcase in the downstairs library for which I was very grateful. Joshua allowed me to move to a room closer to the bathrooms than originally planned given my nocturnal needs. The bed was comfortable which is the main requirement in my book and the company of the other guests stimulating.

Joshua is a chef and cooked dinner for the guests among all of his other tasks. Breakfast was help yourself with everything you could need including fresh fruit provided. I recommend the hostel to all ages and for both groups and solos as I was. Keep up the good work!

Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Kent
Reviewed 22 January 2013

A bus right outside the airport will take you to the main Liberation Station where (fab helpful bus station that takes you all over the island day tickets and 3 day tickets available which are great value) you can get a bus right into the zoo.
The Youth Hostel is in the zoo and what a location, the animals awoke me (sqawking) at about 6am, a wonderful experience. The hotel is ultra clean and has a big screen telly, but the library is something else, it holds a globe of journals and books, absorbing.
The kitchen is one of those really old farmhouse styles, which still holds a memory of Durrell wandering around in it. Breakfast, toast and cereal and drinks laid on, all very civilised. I have to say I travelled in December for two nights and only another couple (son and father) where there for one of those, so I had the place all to myself.
The price of the room about 20.00 nights also included an entrance to the zoo, which again one had nearly all to onself and this took at least a good day to get around, lots to read and lots of Durrell memorabilia of his concepts for the zoo still relevant today.
The hostel also has a student suite that they said we would be entitled to use (had no time though) and internet access.
One of the gorillas had recently given birth and so this took much time observing the maternal duties within the enclosure.
The 'house where Durrell lived' is also approchable, although not accessible obviously. As an absolute Durrell geek this gave me great delight.
I've done a few hostels in my time and this has got to be the most interesting and 'fab value for money' that I've recently stayed. A DEFINITE on 'must stay' if you are on a budget' or want somewhere interesting to stop, I am sure you will not be sorry.
I booked over the internet and on arrival although they forgot I was arriving they were more than accommodating and enthusiastic.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the zoo give a great 'animal chorus' early morning.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Burnhow
Hexham
Reviewed 24 October 2012

A warm and comfortable place to stay, with very friendly staff who are only too willing to help. The hostel is only five minutes' walk to the excellent zoo too, which is another good reason to stay there. Highly recommended.

Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank David T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trinity
Chateau La Chaire
#4 of 16 in St Brelade
Royal Yacht Hotel
Royal Yacht Hotel
#2 of 32 in St Helier

Been to Durrell Wildlife Hostel? Share your experiences!