“I was utterly disgusted with bar staff and management”

Wayside Cheer Steakhouse & Grill
Ranked #21 of 21 Restaurants in Castel
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Description: New Steakhouse within Hotel
Description: New Steakhouse within Hotel
Reviewed 23 October 2012

I was utterly disgusted with the treatment I and my friends received from the bar staff and Ken Smith (Management) a few weeks ago. We paid tickets for a menfun charity evening which was very enjoyable itself. However as we had to order our drinks by completing a form on the table then holding it in the air for 10mins before the only waitress eventually came round to take it. Order form was numbered 1-10, on line 1 I wrote vodka, on line 2 I wrote peachsnapps and a little lemonade. I was thought this was quite clear. However she came back to ask what vodka, peachsnapps and lemonade meant. So I told her 1 x vodka in a glass and 1 x peachsnapps and lemonade in another glass. BUT WHAT CAME BACK, 1 vodka,peachsnapps and lemonade all in one glass. So we sent it back after explaining all over again. WHAT CAME BACK, 1 x vodka, 2 x peachsnapps and lemonade ???, explained again only wanted 1 x peachsnapps, the waitress went off and came back and said you have to have both peachsnapps as the barman wont give a refund. I went to the bar and was told by the barman by no uncertain terms that I have ordered 2 x peachsnapps and lemonade (the number 2 on the list was circled but not by me) and because it was circled he gave me 2 of these drinks. As my friend was paying it for it instead of me she went to see the barman to see if she could get any further with him. As she is Irish they're excuse was they couldn't understand her, (I do not see why as the order was written down for them). They told her she was making a fuss and to go away and sit down as she was not getting her money back. The Management (Ken Smith) told her to stop complaining and to get away from the bar. A good evening was spoilt, as we left early before the interval as we were so disgusted with the way she had been spoken to. The place was absolutely heaving and cannot understand why a refund was refused as they kept the spare drink anyway. As a local person and quite often eating out and about in Guernsey I definately will not be going back to the Wayside Cheer Hotel or ever recommending it to anyone else. The staff need to go on a customer service course and show some common courtesy and respect to their clientel.

7  Thank Mazzymoo

Reviewed 18 September 2012

If you want good value, go here. The food's fine but ordinary & a little on the stodgy side. Service good though and the live music's great.

Reviewed 15 September 2012

Just returned from a night out with fiends ,we ordered starters for 4 ,3 arrived and was told that is what we ordered .....after 15 mins the 4 th starter arrived with the mains .."..we returned the starter as it was late and no longer required ,drinks were slow ,steak not even medium and cold .....a stroppy little man called himself the owner and said we would be paying for the starter as his staff don't make mistakes .........return I think not even if it's free !!!!

Reviewed 25 June 2012

Just loved everything about the holiday. Good food, decent weather, fantastic walks, excellent bus service, go anywhere for a £1. People are very friendly, very good sandy beaches, and Guernsey is a very easy place to get to from the UK, or from mainland Europe.

Reviewed 9 April 2011

Barman incredibly rude, rude, rude , refused to give us a glass of tap water even though we were a large party spending a lot on food and drinks and taking part in an excercise class being held in the hotel in a room beside the bar.

4  Thank Paula H