“I loved it”
Review of La Roche

La Roche
Ranked #1 of 1 Castel B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 August 2011

Very nice and welcoming house ! I will go there again. Jane and David are sweet people and Guernsey is such a beautiful place to see.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Elia B

Reviewed 18 August 2011

We only stayed one night at La Roche, but wished our schedule had allowed us to stay longer. Jane and David were the kindest and most attentive hosts. Their house and gardens are beautiful. The breakfast table was beautifully set and breakfast was delicious. We can only highly recomment staying at La Roche. It was one of the highlights of our trip. We definitely will try to go back one day and stay much longer.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FoodyinParis
Reviewed 12 August 2011

We have thoroughly enjoyed our stay at La Roche. The hosts create a friendly and social atmosphere around the place which is quite unique. It would happen that you return after a day out and meet other guests and even the hosts for a chat in the living room. Everyone would then exchange the day's happenings in a cosy atmosphere.
Jane and David, the hosts, form a perfect tandem who made our stay at La Roche as enjoyable as possible. Jane is a tourist guide who knows the island inside out. She gave us lots of helpful tips on where to go and what to see. David is a formidable chef and knows a great deal about wine. Once we booked him to cook us dinner which was by far the best we had while on Guernsey. Each morning he made breakfast for us, full english or continental, according to our preferences.
La Roche is located right in the middle of the island. St Peter Port, the beaches in the north and the cliffs in the south are easily within reach. Getting there from the airport was also very convenient as David picked us up with his car.
Clearly five out of five stars!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DomSchn
Reviewed 31 July 2011

Could not have been more welcoming and helpful. Very comfortable rooms and breakfasts are a feast! Thank you for helping to make my first visit to Guernsey so enjoyable.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 July 2011

It gives me much pleasure to be writing a review for La Roche B & B but more so for Jane
and David who made my stay one of the most delightful I can remember in all of my travels.
They went far beyond the call of duty in simply proving what I had not expected and by the end of the holiday I felt that I had made friends for life. The food was excellent, the house
immaculate and the hospitality superb. Jane and David are true ambassadors for Guernsey
and they brought added pleasure to my stay by introducing me to many aspects of the island that I would otherwise have not experienced. I am looking forward to staying again at La Roche and maintaining my friendship with such genuine and natural hosts.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 July 2011

We stayed at La Roche whilst attending the Guernsey Music festival. Without doubt if we had not stayed at La Roche we would not have enjoyed the weekend nearly as much. David went out of his way to make us a late breakfast spread out over a beautiful dining table with fresh strawberries from the garden, he even managed to procure some smoked salmon for me to go with my scrambled eggs. Jane was able to point us in the direction of the best places to eat and walk and made it possible for us to attend the festival, we volunteered on her Red Cross Stall and hope we increased some awareness of the charity. This beautiful Guesthouse peppered with wonderful trinkets from Morocco, historical artifacts such as 18th century wine tasting cups and a cute sugar bowl decorated with a mouse made the stay all the more gorgeous for me. I will be going back to enhance my jewellery making skills and make use of the kiln and David's knowledge of Diachronic glasswork. Go there! The tanning possibilities in what felt like an enchanted secret garden with sea views are fabulous.

Room Tip: Go for the Sage room, the power shower is wondrous
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank JerboaAbroad
Reviewed 6 July 2011

My band and I have just returned from our weekend in Guernsey and cannot imagine a better time having been had by all had we not been staying at La Roche with Jane and David. Their home is one of the most beautiful abodes we have ever visited, and the rooms and general hospitality made us feel like we had somehow blagged our way onto someone else's lavish holiday.

The views and ambience we got from the hotel, coupled with the tolerance we received from our hosts as we readied ourselves for our show on the island, plus David's remarkable breakfasts for us, all combined to make this a trip we shall never forget. Needless to say, we thoroughly recommend La Roche to other Guernsey visitors, young and old.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castel
Best Western Hotel De Havelet
The Old Government House Hotel & Spa
Fermain Valley Hotel
Fermain Valley Hotel
#6 of 19 in St Peter Port

Been to La Roche? Share your experiences!