“Brilliant”
Review of Cobo Bay Hotel

Cobo Bay Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Castel
Reviewed 3 May 2010

This was a friendly little hotel. We stayed for two nights and were entranced by the views over the sea. My room was spotless and my bed was huge. The added touches of pieces of fruit and bottled water in the room added to the experience.

We ate in the restaurant and the food was comparable to any top establishment, if not better! The staff were attentive but discreet.

The girl on reception, Melissa, was extremely efficient, even though she told me she had just joined the company and she checked me onto my flight online.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 8 April 2010

I've stayed here a few times for business trips. The hotel has recently been refurbished to a good standard of decor, fittings and fixtures. The rooms are bright with a subtle, light seaside theme, LED tvs, WiFi terminals, tea-making facilities, comfortable beds etc. Bathroom fittings are modern and contemporary. Small detailing makes a difference. The complimentary range of shampoos, soaps, gels, etc, are of very high quality. There is a small bowl of fresh fruit with a couple of chocolates placed on the desk.
The rooms at the front that I have stayed in are smallish, but have a superb sea view enjoying lovely sunsets on occasion. The rooms towards the back I have had have been bigger. The single room was small, but adequate for a lone traveller.
The main reason that I stay here, though, is for the food. The two rosettes are well deserved. The fish is surely some of the freshest that most guests would eat during their year and the food is well varied with some inventive fusion dishes. Local ingredients cooked skillfully to the fore.
The staff are also friendly and efficient.. The hotel has a nicely decorated and cosy bar where one can have a quiet pint after a tiring day before eating.
All in all, the best hotel that I have stayed at whilst working on the Island these past thirty years or so. I'm sure that one could easily pay more elsewhere on the Island for not a lot more, conversely one could pay less probably, for a great deal less.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank Sotonian
Reviewed 27 March 2010

We've walked past the Cobo Bay so many times and wondered what it'd be like to stay there - finally a good deal drew us to take the plunge...a brilliant time ensued. The view is unsurpassed, especially at sunset. We took one of the rooms at the front - it's a beautiful view to wake up to, and a beautiful view to sit an gaze at as the day finishes. Staff very helpful and friendly, food very good and, if it's all a bit too grand, the Rockmount (next door) offers excellent value.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Hooperman
Reviewed 5 March 2010

Stayed for 3 nights (March 2010) The hotel is situated on the sea front with uninterupted views of the sea from the dining room. Next door is a pub which belongs to the hotel and which serves excellent pub meals. 5 minutes walk away is a chinese restaurant and a take away fish and chip shop. St. Peter Port is a 20 minute 60 pence bus ride away. The hotel itself is well appointed and the staff are friendly and helpful. The rooms have plenty of tea/coffee/chocolate making facilities etc. Bathroom very modern. Room also has flat screen free view tv, ironand ironing board and hairdryer. All in all a very pleasant stay and one which I would be happy to repeat.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Setch
Reviewed 4 January 2010

We spent 4 nights half-board between Christmas and New Year. The hotel was not too busy, but the staff could not have been more helpful and welcoming. The food was excellent, the menu well thought out and the servings were very generous (even our 14yr old son was satisfied!) Our rooms were tastefully furnished to a high standard and very comfortable. The view from the hotel dining room across the bay is quite simply breathtaking and, although we did not have sea-view rooms this time, we most certainly hope to go back again (with rooms overlooking the bay).

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank rednoble
Reviewed 20 November 2009

I stayed at the Cobo Bay recently, unfortunately for only one night, as it was probably one of the best hotels that I have ever stayed in (and I average at least one night a week in hotels). Excellent service, excellent food, excellent room, excellent price - in fact, I just couldn't fault it at all. Shame about the weather, but you can't blame the hotel for that - it just meant that I couldn't see anything of the bay while I was enjoying the (freshly cooked) breakfast. I will definitely return, hopefully for a slightly longer stay next time.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Mike_StanfordUk
Reviewed 7 October 2009

I found myself in the smallest single room I have ever stayed in. Not much longer than a single bed. For which I paid 79 pounds, not value for money.

fixtures and fittings were clean and 'luxurious' despite the small space

free wifi and a flat screen tv that didn't quite work

the hotel is in a nice location, and the bigger rooms, often over look the beach.
food and bar very nice. staff good.

some traffic noise at the front of the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castel
Best Western Hotel De Havelet
La Barbarie Hotel
La Barbarie Hotel
#1 of 9 in St Martins
The Old Government House Hotel & Spa

Been to Cobo Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!