“OLD-FASHIONED, BUT OK”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Castel
Bromley, United Kingdom
“OLD-FASHIONED, BUT OK”
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

Four of us stayed the night on a business trip, with a room each. It was excellent value for money - a (very good) sandwich lunch, bed and breakfast averaged out at £88 each.
Our rooms were perfectly acceptable, but not very stylish and rather airless, especially for those of us on the top floor. Thankfully there was air-conditioning which was remarkably quiet. The mattress on my bed had definitely seen better days, but it was comfortable enough.
Breakfast was good.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Paul R, General Manager at Le Friquet Country Hotel, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear John, thank you for taking the time to review your short stay here whilst on a business trip. I have taken on board your positive comments about the food, service and overall value. All our bedrooms have been recently redecorated and all feature airconditioning as standard. The matress you refer to has been replaced. We hope to see you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Burton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014

My Daughter was married in Guernsey on 31/05/14 and my Wife and I stayed ay Le Friquet for the week. Two other Family members and my Wife's best friend stayed here too.

My Daughter also stayed in the Hotel, the night before her marriage (actually a Handfasting ceremony).

The staff from every area of the Hotel were brilliant in all respects. Everyone was helpful and friendly, nothing was too much trouble for them and they made our stay very memorable.

The rooms are very clean and well maintained and a minor issue with a toilet flush in one of the rooms was resolved within minutes.

The breakfast was great (especially the sausages). We ate twice in the restaurant in the evening and the meals were excellent and reasonably priced, the Carvery was particularly good.

Although we didn't spend a lot of time at the Hotel in the daytime, the gardens were really nice and the pool looked good but we didn't get chance to use it.

The Hotel is in a great location, a few minutes drive from St Peters Port in one direction and from Cobo Bay in another. We hired a car for our stay and I think it would be advisable to do so.

I would like to say thank you to all the staff and we will be back again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Nigel P
Dear Nigel ---- what a review! Thank you for trusting us with such an important time for you, your Daughter and Family. Not much more I can say other than we hope to see you all again soon!
jersey channel islands
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I arrived fairly late in the day after a day's work in St Peter Port. On approaching the reception and about to introduce myself the receptionist warmly greeted me by my first name, first impressions are so important and the young lady had set the tone for my stay. I was still enjoying this moment of cheerful initiative that I almost forgot that I had been sent to the furthest room on top floor. The room and en-suite bathroom was pleasantly furnished and clean, although a little cramped in the bathroom, I thought the room was very warm. The quality of the carvery and the a la carte menu was excellent as was the service. In summary I would highly recommend Le Friquet for those who are looking for a quiet weekend break to unwind and relax in a very tranquil spot.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Paul R, General Manager at Le Friquet Country Hotel, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
First impressions do count dont they. We should never forget that you are a Guest here whether on business or for a Holiday and I have passed your comments onto the Receptionist concerned. Thank you and we look forward to your return.
Manchester
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We ate here one evening.We had a lovely carvery meal which was very reasonably priced. The hotel decor was really nice and the gardens were very good. they had hotel rooms and self catering apartments.The staff were really nice and helpful and we took the leaflets in case we stay in Guernsey again. We would definitely consider staying here.

Room Tip: Did not stay here just ate here one evening, was a lovely hotel.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Paul R, General Manager at Le Friquet Country Hotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
As a senior Trip Advisor reviewer your kind comments are both warmly received and I would imagine very helpful to potential guests, be they for the Restaurant or the Hotel. Thank you for taking the time to post such a positive review. We hope you stay with us another time.
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Located about 2 miles out of St Peters Port, the hotel is small and friendly. We upgraded to the Deluxe room which was extremely comfortable and very clean with a very warm welcome from Agnetta, the Receptionist, who is extremely charming, polite, friendly and efficient. She was very helpful and always made the time to for us. A great asset to the hotel. The bar staff were very pleasant too and there was one particular young lady who served us at breakfast who always gave very good service with a smile. Breakfast selection was good but a the cooked breakfast was bland and often cold (we stayed for 5 nights). We didn't eat in the restaurant. Overall, we had a very pleasant stay and would recommend as a great base to see the island.

Room Tip: We only saw the Deluxe room so can't comment on any cheaper rooms
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi Michelle, how kind of you to take time to review your stay with us and to single out a couple of staff for special mention ( I have passed this on to them!) Thank you.
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Rooms excellent, Air conditioning in rooms - wonderful. Staff very friendly and very helpful. Restaurant meals were of excellent quality. We had a a most enjoyable week with our cousins from Canada who also enjoyed their stay very much.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. It's great to read such positive comments particularly from Guests who have travelled so far to saty with us. Hope you had a pleasent journey home and look forward to your return.
Midlands
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Just returned from long weekend in Guernsey having decided to have a bit of R&R. Travelling solo I did a lot of research as single travellers often get a raw deal on price. I came across Le Friquet and saw the positive reviews on Trip Advisor and with the reasonable single room rates booked it. I booked through Travel Republic and hired a car and booked flights also which was all very easy to do.

I took my sat nav with me as had read it was easy to get lost but was gutted to realise my sat nav didn't work on guernsey! Fortunately I can read a map! Some of the roads are very narrow and you do have to watch out for your wing mirrors! I hadn't received any directions to Le Friquet (I later found out that if you book direct with hotel they provide this info but not if you book online) and so I admit I spent my first hour on the island getting a little lost! Not helped by a number of road closures! Once found the hotel doesn't disappoint and much effort had gone into looking after the grounds which provides a lovely welcome.

My room was actually a double and one of the refurbished rooms which was lovely. Just because I'm travelling solo does not mean I want a single bed so to be given this room was great and much appreciated. The walls between rooms are a bit thin as I did hear the neighbouring guest snoring but I felt for his wife more as it wasn't loud enough to keep me awake (she must've been knackered)!

Staff were very friendly and the food from carvery really nice. Their early bird offer is good value.
The decor downstairs is a bit dated but it didn't matter to me, still very clean and comfortable!

I had been tempted to book the Cobo Bay hotel thinking it was on the beach, but as it was more expensive opted for Le Friquet instead. I'm very glad I did so as Cobo Bay is set on a main road behind a sea wall!

It was just a 5 minute drive to the beach and I highly recommend an evening watching the sunset. It's breathtaking. Custom is to buy chips and sit on the beach whilst watching the sun go down!

Other places to visit include the Little Chapel, Moulin Huet, Herm (gorgeous island), St Peter Port and Lihou Island although you can only access that via a causeway at certain times of the day.

Great place to stay for a long weekend!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Leigh23
Thank you for your kind and thoughtful comments which I am sure will be of use to other single travellers. Making your way around Guernsey by car can be a little confusing at first and I take your point about directions to the Hotel in advance. Its genuinely good to read such positive and helpful comments. Thank you!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castel
La Barbarie Hotel
Cobo Bay Hotel
Cobo Bay Hotel
#3 of 6 in Castel
St. Pierre Park Hotel, Spa & Golf Resort

Been to Le Friquet Country Hotel? Share your experiences!